1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Lp531, how much more is the GTX

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2007
  2. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

About $200 more...

3. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

man if you could swing that GTX that would be the way to go. my bet thoses prices will drop mid spring

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Oh baby. Not you aabbccdd, Adriana. That's delicious. I mean that's making me delirious.

5. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

so you wouldn't mind cleaning the sand from her body there Mort lol!!

6. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

the non-pro version was a good value p965 board and it could overclock nearly as well as any other board. i would imagine the pro version will be the same just with a few more features onboard.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/custompc/labs/98628/abit-ab9.html

cant find much about the pro tho..hhmmm?

7. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I would avoid the board if I was you.
    Along with a poor layout, it struggles to get above 360 FSB

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTIwMCwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

The higest I've seen posted on that board is 3.224Ghz with a the E6400 running with water cooling, the best posted for an E6600 with air is 3.0Ghz.

P.S. I found about 6 articles in about 2 minutes, not sure why others are struggling to find anything?

8. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

you must have some uba google hax that give you the best results :)

bigdk can you have a look at this pdf and see if you can see any options in the bios that will help atain a good oc on my mobo. iv not started yet but i am looking for all the advice i can find.

thanks.

9. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Nice pdf link, my Turkish, Indonesian etc... isn't too good at the moment, I'm only half way through the night school classes.

I'll download a manual straight from Asus and read through it, that manual wasn't the right one either if I could have read it!

10. esoteric1

esoteric1 Guest

@ BigDK

Thanks, wow that would have sucked if I bought that.

Well can anyone recommend a mobo thats really good for a C2D E6400 overclock? Sli not that important but I definately wouldnt complain, and compatible with OCZ platinum XTC PC2-6400...oh yeah I also have the question: What would be better 4-4-4-15 or 5-5-5-12?, cause the ocz platinum are 4-4-4-15 and the gold are 5-5-5-12 yet they are the same price....anyway yeah any ideas for a solid mobo thats good at overclocking for like 200$ US.

Thanks alot

11. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

RE: esoteric1

For the E6400, you can't go wrong with the ASUS P5B Deluxe as it is the most versitle for that CPU if using the BIOS v0507 (August 10th, 2006). To my knowledge, this is 1 of few mobo and BIOS combos to allow you to unlock the multiplyer downword of most Core 2s (6300,6400,6600,6700) and upwards on few rare models and of corse un/down on the Extreme editions. Also certain Gigabyte P965 boards allow downward unlocks with the latest BIOS. Because it is the smaller 2mb L2 model it will have an overclocking edge on the 4MB L2 versions. You can expect to climb up to 500MHz FSB at a 6x multiplyer. My E6600 topped out 495FSB. Every CPU is special in its own way, so you might be able to go a little higher or just barely close enough. Bottom line is, you got a lot of potential for your CPU on the P5B. Well the !975X chipset is by far the better overclocker, it is locked, so you will only be working with 7x and maybe top off at 445FSB (3.1GHz). As for RAM, go with the tightest rated timings and then you may have room to OC. the faster Platinum CL4 can hit DDR1000 as CL5 on the right mobo. Imagine that, 500x7 = 3.50GHz @ 1:1 as DDR1000 (or cooler, less volts @ 500x6 = 3.0GHz).

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  12. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Just so you know, you can run SLi on the crossfire boards, as long as you use the a doctored set of drivers.
    These are readily available and work perfectly well.

Gigabyte DQ6 rev 3.3 would be a good board, as would Asus P5WDH Deluxe, Intel Bad Axe is another well documented overclocking dream.

This will show a good range of boards along with the overclocks achieved by people with certain CPUs, it also shows the cooling used and BIOS versions.
    It isn't always up to date, so use it as a guide not a bible.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=2979106dbfe4fac1f4c56a8db2ccf406&t=1075792

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

esoteric1,
    As far as good motherboards for cheap goes, the Asus P5N-E with the nVidia 650i chipset seems to be getting a rep for itself as a good overclocker. In SLI the PCIe is only 8x but hey, It's only $129.99! I plan to use one for my E4300. Actually I'm going to wait on the E4400 which is due out pretty soon. I'm also going to build one with an E4300 for a Lady Friend in Chicago and that should be pretty soon. I suspect that the 4300 and the 4400 will both come down in price with the arrival of the 6320 and the 6420 with the larger cache! sammorris is playing around with a E4300/P5N-E right now! The P5N-E is already Quad-Core compatible as it has the 1333MHz buss.

Happy Computering,
    theone

Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, as you know I'm playing with the exact same components, but it looks like it'll want a BIOS flash in order to get anything beyond 2.7Ghz...

15. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

@sam

what volts have you gave it to get to 2.7ghz, and where did you need to up it?

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nothing bar all auto, nothing else actually affects how high I can go at all.

17. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

so cpuid says your still running 1.35v?

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

well I tried using the offset, along with loosened RAM timings and it made no difference. I haven't set the voltage back yet, but I know it doesn't give me any more mhz as yet.

19. esoteric1

esoteric1 Guest

Thanks for the input guys

Is there a significant loss if your memory isn't 1:1 to the fsb? Cause I was originally going to get an E6400 with multiplier 8x, but if I'm gunna overclock an Asus p5b deluxe to 500mhz fsb so that I get ddr2 1000 I'd have to lower the multiplier to 7 and likely 6 since that would be impossible with only a zalman CNPS9700NT. Or I'd have to lower fsb, keep it at 8x, and then change memory to something other than 1:1. K... I think I made sense there, but basically what im asking is that since an asus p5b deluxe can overclock to 500mhz+ and I kept memory 1:1 wouldnt I be wasting money buying an E6400 if I'd have to lower the multiplier to that of an E6300 and lower...

20. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Regardless of the CPU, you want to keep the memory at a 1:1 multi with the fsb.
    If you are using DDR800 then obviously an fsb of 400 will work on the memory.
    You can then apply any multiplier the cpu is capable of to that 400 fsb.
    8x400 will give you a cpu speed of 3.3GHz and the memory will still be running at DDR800.
    If you drop the multiplier on the cpu to 6 giving you 2.4Ghz then the memory will still be running at DDR800.
    Even with DDR800 memory you'll get some overclocking on it, so maybe you'll get to DDR900 with a 450Mhz FSB, you'll need to up the voltage on the memory and loosen the rated timings for DDR800, but then you can again apply a multi to that fsb that the cpu is capable of.
    ie. 8x450 3.6Ghz.
    That 450 is not guaranteed, so that is where you need to decide at what point you want to take the memory stressing out of the equation and just up the rated speed to DDR1000 etc...

P.S. The P5B is a great choice of board, generally considered one of the best overclockers available.

I've finally downloaded the P5N-E Sli manual so will start to look at it today.

As a start though, I would go through the process of finding the limits of each component.
    Use memtest to test just the memory to see what it will OC to at what timings and what voltage.
    Then test the FSB with low CPU multiplier seeing what it will go to.
    Same with the cpu using a higher multiplier and avoiding the fsb being stressed.
    (All very boring this part, but worth it in the end)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2007