1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i couldnt help myself, waiting isnt somthing im great at. anyway after finding a few blackholes between fsb 1080 and 1200 (10 here and upto 40 there) i decided to go for the boards max rated of 1333.

to my surprise it booted fine and i am now running at 3ghz.

i am about to do a couple of occt runs then see how it goes.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2007
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Congrats then, my E4300 wasn't stable at 1333.

3. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

cheers sam, realy surprised by how easy it was to do, all on auto bar ram timings and set the fsb/ram to not linked, set fsb to 1333 and i turned off all the other crap.

it upped the vore by .01 from stock and it seems total stable after 2 runs thru occt, temps only just hit 40 on one core (30 cpu) and mobo sat at 38. i will torture it tonight or tomorrow night.

3dmark 06
    3DMark Score 3615
    SM2.0 Score 1408
    HDR/SM3.0 Score 1278
    CPU Score 2559

at
    3.0 ghz cpu
    7600gt core 600 mem 1600 (it now freezes if i take it any higher but it would hit 615 and 1640 in last mobo. dont know?)

4. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Had a quick look at the manual.
    If I was trying to push 400FSB I would be looking at the following settings as the most likely to work.
    Obviously without actually having the board to play with, I can guess what will work and what won't.

Obviously AI tuning set to manual.

System Clocks:
    NB PCIE start at 100, but as you go up you may want to increase it, once you get crashes it may need to go up along with maybe a small amount of voltage.
    You may want to add some voltage anyway as you can't clock the GPU as high as before.

Vcore – set in relation to the speed of the CPU, the E4300 will easily take 1.65V will a good cooler, but don’t go any higher than is needed. Although it looks a though it only goes as far as 1.60V with the BIOS shown in the manual, but with the offset of .1 you’ll be able to get that up to 1.7, but make sure you remember if the offset is active.

Probably for 3.2 -3.6 GHz you’ll be looking at 1.4 to 1.5V, again then keep an eye on CPU temp.

Memory Voltage – start at 2.085 or 2.178V Corsair should handle 2.2 V easily enough.

NB Voltage try and stick it up to either 1.393 or 1.563 if you’re pushing the fsb up, but keep an eye on the motherboard temps, you may need to use a fan as I do on your NB to keep it cool enough, otherwise it’ll start to crash.

Memory clock mode –set to unlinked I think.
    FSB –memory ratio 1:1
    Fsb qdr mhz – set to 1600
    Mem ddr mhz - unlinked
    Cpu multiplier x 6 at first then 7 then 8
    Cpu core unlock enabled
    Cpu thermal control disabled
    Limit cupid max val disabled
    Enhanced c1 c1e disabled
    Execute disable bit ebabled
    Enhanced intel speedstep disabled
    Hyperthreading enabled
    Memory settings 4-4-4-12 or whatever your memory supports
    Command per clk 2

Hardware Mon
    CPU q-fan control – disabled
    Chassis q-fan dis

Vcore voltage ignore
    CPU fan disabled

Somewhere in there is the key to open the board up, as it should have loads more OC'ng in it.

5. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i have had 3 system restarts out of the blue, once while oced during a game, once while not oced again during the same game then again whilst just running firefox.

i hope it was down to the release bios as i have now flashed to 0404 and if it doesnt happen again i will continue my oc but untill i can pin it down i am going to leave the oc.

bugga

6. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Try upping the voltage

7. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

for reason unknown my ram was autoing (not a word i know but...) to 1t, dropped it to 2 and all seems well again.

8. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

1T can be a big problem with OCing, another reason not to use auto-settings.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My RAM does as well unless I tell it otherwise.

10. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

It must be in the spd.

11. caucano

caucano Regular member

thanks again for all your help in selecting components for my new system. I ended up getting the following

e4300
    asus p5b deluxe
    corsair PC6400 C4
    thermaltake tough power 550W
    WD SE16 250GB SATA
    BFG Tech 256MB Geforce 7600GT
    Antec p180 chasis (I am not too happy with this choice but it would be too costly to return it to new egg due to the weight)

I have put my system together with the stock cooler and without OCing the cpu is running at around 30 degrees celsius. Now before I OC I wanted to get all my drivers setup and wanted to ask for your help.

It seems that I cannot properly install the ASUS audio drivers, it keeps asking me for HD Audio bus driver upon installation. I've googled this and it seems that Microsoft does not really have this available for download. So currently my system does not have sound and this is driving me nuts! Any ideas?

Secondly, windows xp does not recognize the full capacity of my 250GB sata drive. I assume that this is because i am currently using SP1 and the problem (LBA) will fix itself after I upgrade...any experience on this?

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

if the drive shows as 127GB, the problem will be solved by upgrading XP. If it shows as 232GB, that's correct, drives always only allow 93% of their total size due to NTFS formatting.

13. caucano

caucano Regular member

yes it shows 127GB. Thanks for the help...any idea about the sound? I searched the asus forum with no luck.

Thanks

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If you're just using XP, then all you need to do is install the audio driver either from the CD or Asus' website.

15. caucano

caucano Regular member

I've tried that and I get an error which states something like "HD audio bus driver required for installation". This is within xp after a fresh installation. I've also tried the drivers on Asus' website and they result in the same problem.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  17. caucano

caucano Regular member

I did try the setup wizard that came with the Mobo. I had already stumbled upon that microsoft article, the problem is that it is all information and no actual download. I read the whole thing and found no link to the actual driver itself.

edit: I just found this...I'll give it a try and let you know

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Oh yeah, sorry about that. Well good luck with it!

19. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Go back into the bios and enable the correct part of the soundcard.
    Set the soundcard option in the BIOS to AC97 instead of the default HD, that is unless you are connecting an HD front panel onto the header.
    If the BIOS was set to AC97 it shouldn't be asking for the HD drivers.
    See if that works, and let me know!

20. caucano

caucano Regular member

In the bios there is only option for the front panel audio from HD to AC97. I tried changing this and I still get no sound at the front chasis panel or the back; because the audio driver installation fails due to the same HD error. this is really irritating me, arrrggghhhh :p