1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

rofl...you got so excited

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2008
  2. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

lol...Gm..I agree..me..i would have to take to a body shop and get some hole cut into it to have more air flow..Mr.Rick..you always customize it..lol.looks like it's got enough clearance,Space the power supply looks not to touch the top of the case at the top to pouch in a few 120mm fans and grills like and Cooler master case..just and ideal..lol..I have seen some modifyed cases in my days that where cool looking and worked great..:)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2008
  3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah, I'm an excitable person. I also like being right.

4. spamual

spamual Guest

not really boozer, because it was not possible to use software before nvidia decided not to use a chip. tell me has anyone goteen GTX280s via software to SLI on non SLI boards?

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

It's all in the software. Nvidia just decided to use software now. They could have done it before as well, but they CHOSE not too. All the Nforce 200 chip had was probably some software to enable SLI. Nothing special.

6. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

greensman: YEP thats my case, Thanks I'll give it a shot, I think 1st I'll disconnect the side fan

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman,
    That's exactly what I have done with mine! Blowing air in the side only seems to work if you have one of those "Flower" type coolers, as it will feed it cool air. With an air supply to the cooler blowing from front to rear, as it is with most coolers, chances are very good that air blowing in from the side will interfere with the cooler's airflow and make the temps go up! That's what I found with mine!

Russ

8. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

Good advice. Looks like I'll be doing that a little later. :) I always wondered why the side fan is an intake in the position it's in...but I never bothered to change it...

9. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Row..I Dl the software ran the test level 5 gonna do a ten nexts time both Cores got up to 53c at stress at 5 passes of stress..but it passed..it cranked the Memory up to 1.91gigs usage..under the test..:)

My Test Results:
    IntelBurnTest

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    Nah! That's all right. Far too many have had great success with the GigaBytes, including me. I've know for a long time that sooner or later it would all work out for the best!
    Intel is finally getting smart! They know full well that nobody in their right mind uses garbage like that! So they have been making them cheaper and cheaper. Saves money! I wouldn't use the one on the left for a stock build! I loved it when the tech told me that Intel wouldn't warranty my CPU if I didn't use the stock cooler that came with the CPU! I laughed my ass off and pointed out that since I can prove without a shadow of a doubt that my AF7-Pro is far superior to the stock cooler, they would lose that one! He dropped the subject! I love intimidation, especially when it backfires on the intimidator like that! LOL!!

BTW! I had my first good look at the much "aclaimed" Rampage Formula bios today. Beautiful $200+ motherboard that comes with a 99 cent manual! 170 pages and when you get to the overclocking part there's next to nothing other than the CPU multiplier, fsb and memory settings. They don't give even a small hint as to what to do with anything else.

Here's a helpful hint Asus, drop the stupid lights and gizmos and print a decent freekin manual. This MB deserves far better than the piece of garbage manual you supply with it!

abuzar1,
    You were right??? Let me mark that on the calender! ROFLMAO!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  11. spamual

spamual Guest

Russ, honestly can we all send them complainets abotu their manual, the P5K-E one was also BS.

its disgusting, for a new OCer, or even an expericanced one who comes across new features.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The only thing I really use the manual for is to double check the front panel connectors... :)
    I've never seen a motherboard manual that tells you anything about the overclocking section and how to use it, ever.

As far as SLI on the X58 goes, nvidia and Intel have never had a happy relationship, and as a result I think that's why SLi in Software was blocked from becoming a reality until now. Only now have nvidia got enough egg on their face about the appalling quality of most of their products (desktop graphics cards excluded) that they've just given up!

13. greensman

greensman Regular member

I haven't either. ;) I have ASUS, DFI, GB, Foxconn, and Biostar manuals and none of them give you any REAL help to overclocking their product. I would say the Biostar is the most comprehensive. LOL. OF course this is my memory I'm using so I could be confused. :p

I don't know about the giving up part but I'm in agreement to the "quality" of their products. ;) I've had/have a couple of their gfx cards and they have issues with drivers. It may be the OS but the only way I've determined a "solution" can present itself is a re-install of the OS... THAT's CRAP!!!!

On their mobos (nVidia chipsets) the only ones that I've heard real praise about are the nVidia nForce4 mobos. ;) I have one of those btw and it seems to perform and run just fine. :)

....gm

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Their GPUs aren't that bad. Not now anyway. You just had a bad experience like Russ did with ATI, but they are both good now.

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

NO you're right boozer and having 3 of their cards right now with 2 of them on the "wonky" side makes me think that the drivers and the OS weren't getting along and therefor the reason why I think a fresh install is the only solution. It's just a pain in the you know what when you have to install an OS on an already working computer. :p

Oh well... it's been running that OS for about 2 years now and the fresh install should make it smoother anyway. lol. :p

...gm

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As long as you don't use Vista 64 (and let's face it, who would? :p )
    nvidia's desktop graphics seem alright, but their latest chipsets are unreliable and have all sorts of issues and their mobile graphics chips fail well before the end of their normal life.

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

AHAHA, only two of us on here use it.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

spamual,
    This MB is designed to go well beyond a useful overclock, cooled by Dry Ice or Liquid Nitrogen. It's also a shame they spent the money on all those useless LEDs. All of their functions could have been implemented with software at a fraction of the cost and do the exact same job. There's such a thing as overkill, if you know what I mean!

I've also heard how superior the sound is, well tonight I got a chance to compare it with my on-board HD Audio. I asked a Doctor friend of mine to bring his console by. He has a Q9650 3.0GHz Core 2 Quad, on a Rampage Formula MB cooled by a Tunig Tower @3.6GHz. He says it will clock higher, but needs water cooling to do it reliably! Same Amp and speakers, just switched back and forth between two different inputs. There's no apparent difference and you can't tell one source from the other with your back to the computers and amp! I even hooked up the keyboards and pedals and had the room rocking with the Theater Organ I have installed on my computer. he allowed me to install the software on his computer and the sound is magnificent with either computer!

Just in case you might wonder why he didn't get the Q9775 Extreme, I asked him, and he said that water cooling is mandatory on the Q9770 and the Q9775, and he's not comfortable with water running inside his computer. Sounds like me! LOL!! They don't ship either CPU with a cooler! Tell you what, this thing is blurry fast! I'm mad at myself right now because I never thought to run some benchmarks on it! LOL!! I'll bet they would have been eye poppers! I also asked him about the NB heat problem and he said that he got the optional fan for it, but it doesn't work with any cooler that doesn't blow down over the heat sink like the stock cooler that Intel provides. The fan mounts to the rear Mosfet cooler, and blows toward the front of the computer It interferes with the airflow of after market CPU coolers that blow air front to rear. which is most of them! They only recommend using one if you have passive or water cooling!

When I asked him about all the fancy adjustments, he laughed and told me that most of them were set to auto as they are not needed for the most part with air cooling. He said that they might be useful for extreme overclocking, but at 3.6GHz most aren't really needed until you get higher on the OC. He's had his as high as 3.8GHz, but the temps for the NB and CPU start to get very worrisome. Like I said, he's not a big fan of water running around inside his computer! At 3.6GHz though, it's a fabulous computer!

Best Regards,
    Russ

19. spamual

spamual Guest

russ, does he have the QX9650?

if so tell him just to raise the multi to 12, from 9, and he can get to 4GHz with no problems.

if he has the new Q9650 (E0) stepping, it shoudl hit 4 with no problems.

and sam.....me and boozer, vista 64, for a year no worries.

dont worry when i get it on your PC, you'll use it aswell.

you cant do tri fir or quad fire or trisli w.o vista.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It is on my PC, and has been used. Given its shortcomings though, there's no need to use it. Graphically I like it, it's actually cleaner than XP at my resolution. I just wish there was a way of getting the file browsing system to be the same as XP, I don't like Vista's way of doing it (namely, downloading files and using windows explorer). Oh, that and not being allowed to access half my files, that's the biggest one... :p
    The one game I tried worked fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.