The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

How i reattached my CPU fan... :p
    [​IMG]
    Cable management now urgently required, I'm going to have a go at it myself this weekend.

2. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Well I disabled my side fan, but still seems a little warm. Also the CPU Fan seems awful slow 2 me, does anybody know if this is adjustable (P5Q Prem MOBO)
    mobo 49
    CPU 45
    CPU 1 57
    2-52
    3-59
    4-56
    CPU Fan 737 RPM

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Wow, that's even slower than my CPU fan, yeah that must be on auto. You want that adjusted higher...

4. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

sammorris: Good idea if U know how. I don't know how to adjust it

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Turn off CPU fan auto speed in the BIOS. Should be in the hardware monitor section, may also be called 'health status' or something along those lines.

6. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I Went into CMOSS, could not find any adjustments but CMOS shows the fan running at 3150 RPMs
    Noe Speedfan is showing 1585
    I didn't do a thing other then check in the CMOS what the F@#K
    Can't figure it out, Maybe my computer has a mind of its own

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2008
  7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I think CMOS puts some sort of load on the CPU so it's on completely idle.

Check your motherboard manual. It will have fan speed control. Asus has something called Q-Fan. You can set your fan from 60-90 percent speed with that. You should probably check it out.

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Russ,

as a happy rampage formula owner, I know that it has a lot of unneeded bells and whistles. you have to consider that it is a lanparty mobo and most of those that buy it will have a clear window on their pc case and want all the bling. so what. it is still a great overclocker and does have many beneficial features above and beyond the typical mobo. 7 fan headers 6 of which can be controlled through the bios, lcd poster which will identify any faults or problems, and a user friendly bios just to name a few.

I don't know why you chose to dis the rampage formula at this time or where you are getting all of your information. I don't have any problem with the NB temp. I have my Q9450 OC'ed to 3.56ghz and my NB temp is 42c. the mobo temp is only 35c. no NB or SB fans.

who ever said the sound was superior? it is very good compared to onboard sound of older tech but not above the current competators. all I ever commented on was how good my klipsch ultra 5.1's sound. they would most likely sound even better with a SB X-Fi Fatal1ty sound card.

the mobo does come with an optional mosfet fan (as do most high end asus mobos) but is only recommended to be used with water cooling as it clips on to the mosfet hs and blows directly on the hs thus interfering with any front to back air flow. I don't use it.

the one main reason I find the asus rampage formula superior to some other motherboards is the user/OC friendly bios and I still feel exactly the same. not only are there a lot of adjustments (more than needed for most, me included) but the increments in which it gives you. the most choices I have ever seen by far. the cpu vcore has increments as small as .00625v and most other voltage settings have increments of .02v.

I do agree the manual is a little lacking for a lot of the extra features/settings/adjustments but I guess asus assumes if a person is going to spend that kind of money for all the extra bells and whistles, they probably already know what they do and what they are for.

I refuse to dis the precious gigabyte mobo's but I will say this, I could never use one for my own personal performance pc, especially after being exposed to this asus rampage formula, not to mention my asus P5W DH Deluxe. both of which have been stellar performers. I will/would however very strongly consider a gigabyte mobo for a friend or customer that is interested only in a dependable and reliable pc for average daily use in a home or small office.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

rick,

disable Q-fan for the CPU. this was taken from the P5Q Premium manual:

[​IMG]

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Hell if I am buying a board for that much it had better have all those nice features. You deserve it.

11. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Mort81: Q-Fan was disabled, the brd is set and comes that way. Now I've gone back into the CMOS and enabled it
    even with it enabled Everest reports CPU 750 RPM
    Chassi 2377 RPM
    GPU 2638 RPM

Speedfan
    Sys Fan 750 RPM
    CPUO Fan 2360
    Is it better to Enable or Disable
    I just can't figure out that low fan speed. Would it be the MOBO or maybe a faulty fan.. Who do I contact ASUS or Intel..Both are only about 6wks old

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Plug a different fan in there and see what speed that runs at, if you have one. If it's also slow, the board is the issue, if it doesn't, you may have a dodgy CPU fan. 750rpm is too low for anything other than a tower cooler with a Quad core involved.

13. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I got a Freezer 7 Pro, do I need to install it on the CPU just to check or just plug it in

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Plugging in will suffice (obviously, don't leave your CPU with no cooler on it though!)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  15. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I'll give it a shot..I guess if the computer is on 4 about 5mins It shouldn't hurt the CPU. I HOPE

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As I proved, you can run a CPU without a fan for quite a while, but not without a heatsink, not for a second.

17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I would stick the freezer 7 pro on there anyway. easy enough to do and a much better cooler.

what does asus probe and everest report. they both report the same for mine which is 2096 rpm.

18. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I don't think its all that easy to change with the BRD in and in an upright position too boot!! Don't like the idea of laying it down where its at now. But I'll give it a shot this evening. Right now gotta take my nap to be ready fer da midnight hours

19. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

what I mean't by easy enough to do is due to the fact the neither the oem cpu hsf nor the freezer 7 pro have backing plates that require you to pull the mobo. compared to when I changed out my TRUE which does have a backing plate and requires pulling the mobo (took about 3 hours), that should be a breeze.

I would definately lay the pc on it's side to do it.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

3 hours!
    Wow It's never taken me quite that long... :O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.