1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Russ,

that's kind of coencidental as I also have a dell inspiron 1505 laptop and it also came with vista home premium. if I would have ordered it one week earlier, I could have gotten XP Pro or Home but at the time I placed the order the only OS available was vista.

anyway, I attempted to load all my software into it with vista. less than 10% of my software was compatable. the very next day, I dl'ed all the XP Home drivers from the dell website and reformated the biatch with XP Home. it's been a good laptop ever since.

2. icemen

icemen Regular member

nice one russ, i'm not liking vista either, how easy it for me to take this off my pc & install xp pro?

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's easy as long as the software drivers exist for your hardware, and recommended.

Did you see the figures I posted Russ? I can only see 3.2GB of RAM in XP, the full 4GB in Vista, and at idle, I actually have more memory available in XP than vista as Vista uses more than 800MB more than XP!

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

that is shocking and unacceptable, imagine that the majority of Vista users out there have no idea how to optimize Vista/strip out all the bloat. And that's without running anything other than Vista itself.
    Just remembered actually that the g/f bought a new laptop for her dad and it was a Vista laptop, she had to buy double the memory just because it was Vista. A classic case of bloatware.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I couldn't get the memory usage below a gig, even with every single program closed. I know it's a 64-bit OS, but wow, that's a lot of memory to go nowhere.

6. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Same can be said for those who bash it.

They are also trying to run programs written for XP, not a new OS.

It tells me that they believe all the rhetoric they read and are afraid to change or even give Vista a chance.

What do you expect, if you upgrade you upgrade....or would you prefer to beat around the bush and only halfway upgrade?

Everyone who wants more for less should use Linux and try getting all their stuff working with that OS.

*My storage drive worked off the bat with my new install of Vista, no problems.
    *My old printer worked off the bat with Vista, no problems.
    *My install of XP was buggy from the beginning and the sole reason for me to switch to Vista. Vista was buggy at first, but I finally reinstalled it without installing any of my proprietary mobo drivers and all has been smooth.

Who doesn't have a fairly modern PC that has less than 2 gigs of RAM installed? I've done everything under the sun and then some with my new PC running Vista and only 2 gigs of RAM and have yet to run out. How much do you really need? I'm sure I wouldn't see a noticable performance hit if I had a slightly lesser machine. Vista is bloated without a doubt, but there is a lot of extra bloat when you buy from Dell, Gateway etc. as you also get their proprietary BS along with it. What will we all do when the new hardware comes to a point when it won't be backward compatable with XP.

Russ, I don't mean to pick on your post solely, but you made the biggest bang and the counterpoints were the easiest to comment on. I can't let all the fanboyism be totally lopsided and had to put my thoughts on Vista in the fray. I like it...sue me :)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  7. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I'm turning in for the night, i'll leave this light-hearted reply

[​IMG]

:)

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i upgraded a customer's youngest son's laptop from vista to xp pro because of incompatibilities. so far i have upgraded 4 laptops & 1 tower from vista to xp pro. another customer has or had a dell laptop with vista with 512 megs of ram. told her to get more ram which she did & i installed it. she had the laptop for another week or so before she had to return it because hd crapped out.

9. spamual

spamual Guest

all i hear is oldies and their hate of change, yammering on about vista.

i wonder how much you lot hated xp when you were using 98, but you moved over didnt you?

when windows 7 comes out, how ever bad it may be, eevn if its worse than vista, i bet you lot will love it.

without the OS forceing more resources to be used, normal people wont be getting better computers to use them, it advances technology.

people only turn down vista to XP becuase they also fear change, its huiman nature. most people without using vista hate it, so switch over. they just hear the hype. or they buy a computer for £200 which could never handle vista at all, and then complain about it.

im sick and tired of you lot and your vista hating, you grown ups, please grow up.

a 1 up to the young'uns who decide to embrase newer OS's and hardware, so the technology can move on.

and russ i have heard alot about this sectret court case against MS abotu vista, that your a part of, wonder if that wil ever be true ¬_¬

its true what they say, you cannot teach an old dog new tricks, and thankyou loco for finalyl with me being the only ones (inc boozer a little) who back up vista.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2008
  10. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

spamual, 2 of the laptops are owned by boys in their late teens going to college so just not an oldster problem.

11. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

I think you're wrong...they'll still be sucking the life out of XP :p

As for agreeing...you're welcome I guess, I just hate a one sided argument. I suspect most who hate Vista's only experience with it is to remove it from someone else PC without ever running it for any length of time to get accomodated.

It's a new OS...is looks different, it smells different and it acts different.

12. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I remember back in MY day, you didnt worry about no XP vs Vista, you tap a stick to the rock in morse code and Uggla my caveman friend would translate the dots and dashes into binary and thats how commands were processed...Unga Bunga...Us old guys that dont like Vista, change BAD! fire BAD! But its so simple even a caveman could do it..
    [​IMG]

13. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I had no choice, I had to install Vista. My 160 Gig Maxtor would not let me install XP, instalation would stall at Window is ready to install press any key to continue. So anyway I installed Vista, now my problem being..I go to Properties, I get a single Continue. When I click on it, I get (Can't open access control editor. The specified service does not exist as an installed service).Now this is only on my text folders. Also when I try to convert a DVD to AVI it won't let me, blah,blah,blah, sorry read only file.
    Now don't tell to get permission cause everything is checked for total access. But this crap continues on my computer. Now I've tried moving to different drive, but continue to get the same problems

14. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

Sorry about the delay but work called and I'm now on for awhile.My question about the PSU's wasn't to buy at this time but to read reviews on manufacturer,brands, & reviews.I have the Corsair and OCZ's but looking for cheaper PSU's that I put in comps for playing simple games solataire etc.and surfing the net.About the Vista debate whatever works for the individual.But my experience last year I bought a Vista comp for a X mas present and XP Pro 64 Corp for myself,Second worst mistake in my life [first was getting married ah but she's gone like Vista].The Xp 64 I've kept on the one comp for the challenge of backassword workings.Just my 1/2 cent unkie Sam got the other 1 1/2 cent!

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

We may have seen the post of the year from Deadrum33 or any poster at AD!!!! lol.

I've not tried the actual OS yet. I tried a "look alike" XP thingy and didn't like it at all!!!! I have to do a fresh install of OS in the next few days (that I've been putting off for months now...lol) and I may do a fresh install of Vista.... ooooooooooooohhh he said Vista... yep!! lol.

Any particular version that is better than the others?? I'll have 2 Gig of RAM and simple hardware, especially gfx card!! :) oh and it's an AMD machine with a X2 4200+ cpu. :D Hey Sammy you recognize that cpu?? hehehehe. :p

....gm

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

LOCOENG & spamual,
    I'm going to take this one person at a time, starting with spamual as his post is the easiest to address.

spamual,
    First thing I resent in your post, is being referred to as an oldie! It's not that I'm not old, but if you look at my original post there is not one thing in it referring to young people, so you are taking exception to something that isn't even in the post, so you are assuming something that doesn't exist! It's not that I resent change, as I am a very progressive person. What I do resent is change for changes sake, just to make some Mega-Billion Corporation even richer. I resent M$ attempts at dictating how and what I can do with a computer I paid for!
    I didn't hate XP at all, other than the lack of any real DOS support, which rendered most of the games "I like to play" useless, and rendered almost all the software I had obsolete, and denied me the right to use what I want to use and like. I have bought and paid for, Windows 3.0, 3.1, 3.11, 95, 98, 2000 and finally XP! The only Windows I never bought was ME, and that was because it wasn't any good! It had horrible issues with compatibility, even within the OS itself!
    Young people today have to have "Flash"! It's not how good something is, it's how cool something is and how good they look using it! Let's face it, we live in a Bling-Bling world today. Things don't have to be superior, they just have to look good! If "normal people" were getting something better, I wouldn't argue, but the fact remains that there is very little that Vista does better than XP. Every comparison review between Vista and XP (so called "Shoot Outs") has been won "handily" by XP. To me Vista is nothing but "Smoke and Mirrors"! The analogy here, is that it looks good, therefore it must be better!
    I'm 64 years old and I've never been afraid of change in my life! I was working with Microprocessors before you were born, and long before there ever was a PC! I never feared the switch from tubes to Transistors and then to integrated circuits, I embraced it! I realized at a very early age, that all these changes were the future, and were the forerunner of all the modern electronics we have today! Your mention of cheap computers that could never handle Vista at all, makes me laugh. I had a computer here a few monts ago, a HP Vista machine, that came with 128MB of RAM! It even bragged about it on the label on the front of the machine, claiming that it runs your programs faster because of it! Never mind that 128MB is far below the minimum required for Vista! HP still sells them!
    No! You grow up! Show some respect for age, knowledge and wisdom that comes from having been around this long, and having an open mind and always, the desire to learn!
    You "young'uns" don't seem to understand that it isn't you that get to do the deciding, It's a room full of fat rich old board members that make those decisions. Technology has moved on, the problem is M$ wants to dictate the terms of what can be done with it, and how!
    No! You really haven't. First off, it's not secret and I never implied that it was! This case's information has been sealed by the Courts at the request of Micro$oft, almost since the investigation started and all the dirt under the carpeting started showing itself. So all you really know is just rumor and speculation! There is no real information available at this time to the public or the news media! only rumor, and speculation!
    That's a BS statement, and you know it! It was written in a different era entirely, and is a term that has been bandied about every time someone has had the guts to stand up to change for changes sake, rather than true progress!

LOCOENG,
    I don't think that I bash it. My feelings about Vista's shortcomings are based on the facts and my experience with it in the field. That I dislike it is a given. It's still a fact that XP-Professional is the better OS!
    Not true at all! Even programs written expressly for Vista have problems! Backward compatibility should not even be an issue! It has no affect on the present. It's nothing more than a lame attempt to increase Micro$ofts software partners sales (and earnings), at highly inflated prices! You are forced to buy in because the software manufacturers simply stop supporting otherwise good programs so they will no longer work! That's what happened with Sandra 2005. One day it worked fine and the next day it didn't work at all! Same computer, same software! Scisoft just added a little thing into your software that was keyed to the date that popped up a message telling you that SciSoft no longer supported the software. I didn't change a single thing in my computer, SciSoft did!
    Not as long as they refuse to allow you the freedom of choice! There's a huge difference between being allowed to do something vs being dictated to! In M$ eyes, there is no choice, and I resent that!
    If you could kindly explain to me what difference the printer makes, I will be happy to listen! I have an old Brother HL-1240, that works perfectly fine. There's nothing wrong with it and it serves my needs well. When I plugged it's usb cable into the Dell E1505 laptop, I got an error message telling me it couldn't find the hardware ID, it waited a few minutes, and when I didn't remove the offending hardware, it blue screened and shut the computer down because it could "potentially damage my computer"! What they are not saying is that Brother is not willing to pony up the fee to M$ for Vista certification for such an old printer! Even though printers are cheap, why should I be forced to give up a perfectly good printer just to soothe Bill Gates ego and his desire to dictate the hardware "allowed" to be used with "His" OS?
    You are entirely missing the point! That would be a choice on my part to choose Linux. Micro$oft is trying their utmost to deny you any choice at all. It's do it "My Way" or not at all! It amounts to nothing more than blackmail!

I agree with you that Dell, HP/Compaq, eMachines and others contribute to all the Bloatware. I'm not denying that for a minute. There's no reason that the hardware should ever not be compatible with XP. There's nothing changed in the printer port, usb ports, serial ports. They have always been backward compatible. You can run older usb 1.0 devices on usb 2.0 ports. M$ doesn't give a rats behind about that. All they care about is being paid for the privilege of allowing hardware to be Vista compatible! The ports haven't changed at all, you just have to pay for the privilege to use them! It's a toll booth in the middle of what was once a free road! A loophole so to speak!

I take no exception to your post. I was concise and to the point. There's no fanboyism on my part. I've simply stated the problems as I see them. I'm not making this up as I go along. If people don't stand up for what is right, then we allow someone else to dictate the terms of what we are and are not allowed to do with our own property.

It takes 60 years to live 60 years. There are no shortcuts. You Live, hopefully learn and then die! What you do with what you learn before you die is the most important thing, otherwise life would be nothing more than total futility! These people at M$ are not benevolent people at all. They are rich greedy capitalists that bend or break the laws to their liking, counting on their wealth and connections to keep them out of trouble. They got away with it for so long that they thought they were invincible. They have since discovered that once crap starts rolling downhill, it's difficult to stop. Things are going to change, and there's nothing M$ can do about it. M$ started it and the people are going to finish it, and unless well over 100,000 people all die within a very short period of time, M$ has already lost!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  17. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

theonejrs: WOW ! Never seen such a POLITICALLY Correct Document like that hear B4. All is so true, but being 62 myself. I have learned that you have to live a life time to understand terminology that affects us today. This is probably the GREEDIEST of eras I think that I have lived in. I remember when butter was very expensive at $0.20 a # so U bought white margrine with a dye ball to colour it, Gas was barely affordable at $0.14 a gallon. etc,etc,etc

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    Sorry for the late reply as I missed your post.
    I said:
    I'm sorry Morty, but I don't see where I dissed the MB. I did say somewhere that I feel that the bios is is severe overkill, which for 90% of the people would be correct! I praised the MB, but panned the useless manual! That's all! It lacks substance in the areas that needs a little more than a casual overview!

You were not the person who had argued that the sound was superior. I reported that I could find no measurable difference between it and the HD on my MB!

The NB problem is well documented all over the net. The fact that the optional fan is useless with all but a "Flower" type cooler to me means Asus is giving a strong hint that you should switch to water cooling. There were a number of complaints of NB temps in the very high 50s. I have no way of knowing what the problem is or what kind of cooling these people have. As you well know all of that varies from case to case and depends on so many other factors! All I can say is that it is a concern to many people! My Doctor friend's NB runs in the mid to high 40s. He has removed the cooler and re-installed it with MX-2, because he was seeing temps in the low 50s. He also said that the cooler is not the easiest thing to remove! LOL!!

I'm sorry if there was any misunderstanding, but I did say:
    Respectfully,
    Russ

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

When XP came out - 'not compatible with all my old games, what the hell is this?' - within a month or two I realised I didn't actually play any of those games any more so it wasn't an issue. I wanted XP before even the 2002 version came out, but it was delayed two years as I didn't get a decent PC until then, and didn't want XP on an old P3 450.

This line sums up exactly what is wrong with software in the modern generation - computers are getting faster, no need to write efficient code, look at all the resources we have to waste! if you think this is a good thing, I never want to hear you moan about a game that doesn't run maxed out on your PC again.

No, they fear problems, and problems is what they get with Vista. I for one like the majority of what Vista offers, I had no fear of it at all. Sure, I disliked the file browser, but I'll probably warm to that in time. However, since the OS is completely unusable due for me due to the file system incompatibility, even if I did want to use Vista, I can't, I am genuinely unable to.

For the majority of people, I don't really see what there is to hate so much about Vista. - sure, it uses an astronomical amount of RAM, but people who have new PCs and game typically get 4GB of RAM these days, which is ample. People who don't will probably be after 2GB - as long as you don't want to install a large program or open several browser windows, you can keep under the 2GB line. It's the incompatibilities that cause the problems. Most of them, as I've already stated, are down to the manufacturers not providing adequate drivers/support, Creative being one of the main offenders here. However, some of them are within the OS itself, and come Service Pack 1 them not being fixed is pretty dire. If you don't experience any of these, then I can see why you would accept Vista, especially if you have a powerful PC. If you do though, it can change your experience with Vista for life.

rick5446: I feel your pain, but since there doesn't appear to be a fix for all this, I think we're stuck with it.

ChrisC586: For a cheaper, decent PSU, I recommend the 380W Antec EarthWatts, it's cheap, quiet and reliable.

Greensman: I do indeed.... :p - by all means try Vista, but for the love of god, get a new, clean HDD to install it on and make sure you don't need to access anything from any drive that's even seen XP.

Theone: Wow, a post as long as mine... :p
    Windows Me, ugh, what an OS. I 'upgraded' from 98SE to Me once, and then upgraded back within a month!
    With regard to having to 'grow up' I'd probably take offense at that statement as well. People who slag off vista because they've never tried it and have only heard the scare-stories should certainly get a slap, but on the same side people who happen not to have had problems with Vista (and I'm sure it does happen, I don't believe for a minute that that's impossible) should wake up and realise that for a substantial proportion of users, Vista has big issues. Just because you haven't has problems doesn't mean problems don't exist...

20. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

Thanks Sam I also believe you posted a link about psu's about whats inside of them. Thats what I've been searching for. To whomever my last word on Vista, I find it very arrogant on M$ part that it wouldn't use M$ own wireless keyboard less than 6 months old at the time and as stated games and other hardware at the time, oh yeah even the HP 2610 printer bought at the time, no at the time a no brainer to stick with XP. This old Btard is not against change but the long awaited arrival of longhorn- Vista was a joke along with ME.I'm waiting for 7 but I won't rush in again like Vista.I also thought when I bought the XP64 all the bugs would be out of that.I agree change is sometimes better but not in this case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.