1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I was going for a page all to myself! LOL!!
    I think my post answered any criticism directed my way! The comment about old people being resistant to change goes all the way back to the early 1900s, and had much more to do with Automobiles and motorized Farm equipment than anything. Same thing about the Old Dog, new tricks crap! Anybody can learn if they have the desire to! The big problem with a lot of the younger generation is that they are basically lazy! I'm not talking about anyone here, except maybe boozer, but he was the one who said he was lazy, not me! LOL!! You can't get kids to pick up a book and read these days. The 13 year old next door hates to read, and that's sad. I have a College Degree, and I can tell you right now I learned more from reading Periodicals in Doctor's offices over the years, than I ever learned in school. I used to read everything I could get my hands on. I had a routine where as I went from office to office to do my work, I would continue with the same magazine, in the next office I went to! I just finished "The Romanov Prophecy" by Steve Berry, and it's a really great book. I have sat and read the complete "Harry Potter and the ***" series from book 1 through 7 in 3 days. She is an amazing writer.

The kid next door wants to be a "Professional Skateboarder"! I told him flat out that he was nowhere good enough, and his prospects for getting a whole lot better are slim to none! I'm better than he is at 64 and I haven't even been on a skateboard in over 15 years! LOL!! Just think, these kids are going to run things one of these days! Thank God I'm close to my wings!

Russ

2. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

Anybody that thinks Senior [old] people are resistant to change needs to come to work with me one day and see a 86 year old woman learning to surf the web when her whole life was stuck at home raising the kids tending family and garden and talking about the thrill ride of racing the horse and buggys.Theses are the sort of people I need the cheaper PSU's for that have worked hard all their life with little left after drug food and heat costs.To them dial up is slicker than snot on a glass door knob!

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

While I'd perhaps agree with the 'old dog new tricks' argument to a certain extent, it comes down to willpower, anyone has the ability to learn something new, but whether or not they choose to do so is another matter. In your case, I could hardly think of a more ill-fitting adage. It's been pretty obvious over the years you're not afraid of doing things and expanding your knowledge.

Chris:
    I don't remember posting a link about the insides of PSUs, can you clarify it a bit?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371005

4. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

I believe it was a link to why you shouldn't buy cheap PSU's showing one go up in smoke and the page had links off of it about the different manufacturers of PSU's if I remember right , of course I could have caught the disease of a senior moment and dreamed it up!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

6. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I don't know where common sense comes from. But I have noticed over the last 4 Generations I've Observed. It is some how decreasing in each new generation, its lacking in every sense of the word, and in all areas. Now I don't mean everybody, just a larger portion of the majority. Without it you will never be able to understand change or even how to cope with it, or even understand the simplest of things. Common sense tells U 1+1=2, I realize U have to learn it first. But this day and age Learning is a handicap for most. I see it all the time with the teenagers who stop by to use my Computer. The answer most of the time will be staring them right in the face, and yet its easier for them to holler at me & ask how to or try and get me to do it for them. They lack the capability to absorb what they are showed or even taught. Now to me this is common sense. Learning and absorbing
    Now Common Sense tells me we have been way of topic hear for the last few pages. How bout we get back to the TASK at hand. BUILDING and Bragging on Computers. O yes problem solving TOO

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

8. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Question: When applying the Arctic Silver, is it better to spread it out on the CPU, or I've seen some diagrams on the Quads that show a couple of lines and let it spread itself

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A single line across the CPU, let the heat do the rest.

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

seeing that i have done this about 7 times in the last couple weeks. Ive done each way, and as long as it spreads correctly once you give the HSF a little twist. i haven't seen any difference in temps with either technique.the last time i just did it, i spread a little drop around with a credit card. looks real pretty and smooth.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

This latter method is what I used when applying Thermalright's basic silicone paste to my Q6600, since it's completely different stuff to Arctic Silver I thought I'd do it the old-fashioned way.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Well lets see.... Hmm, that's 4.6 times faster than mine! ROFLMSOAO!!

Great Score BTW!

Congrats,
    Russ

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hehe, thank you... :)
    Sadly with the ususl caveats of Crossfire-supported, and even ATI-supported games, the real world performance difference can be a lot higher, or a lot lower than that.
    Max out HL2:Episode Two and I'm looking at 90fps. Use the same settings on Flatout:Ultimate Carnage and I get 30fps... :S

14. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Arctic Silver is it OK, or is their something better. When I get my old board back from ASUS, I'll be putting another Comp together. I'm doing away with my old E-Machine cabinet tired of this small unit,and going with a Roswell Conqueror Max Tower..Don't know if I like the design or not. HDD Tray slides in & out from the front. Look to have plenty of room & storage though. Its damn sure the heaviest cabinet I've got

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Arctic Silver is one of the best, but people seem to be having good results with Arctic Cooling MX-2 and OCZ Freeze of late, so any of these three should be a good bet. Thermalright's ChillFactor also seems to do quite well, but I'd probably recommend the other 3 above it until I can find some definite results.

16. spamual

spamual Guest

i really cannot be bothered to counter act russ's statement. he has one mind and will stick to it, and when someone as influential as him has his big say on AD not even the mods cant stop all the people reading from being influenced by him.

russ you really do have to be right in everyargument dont you.... :(

oh well you win, im too "lazy" to bother with you, and to tired from fasting to type LOL.

i think imma take a little break from AD to cool my self down, see you lot in about a month

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

We all get the hump when we haven't eaten. I'm willing to bet you're back before then.
    Russ has the right to voice an opinion as much as anyone else - so what if he uses more words? Given the rather unfair post you made about him being old, if anything he has more right than you do. I try not be as utterly anti-Vista as he is, but the point we're trying to make is that 'Vista works fine for everyone' is completely indefensible. It doesn't work for me, it clearly hasn't worked for Russ on numerous occasions and that's that. If we were to buy a physical product that didn't work and we were unhappy about that fact, would you still call us mad just because it worked for you?

18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

19. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

I didn't see that as the point trying to be put forth....it was more like Vista sux0rs, worst OS since ME, show me a hole and I'll chuck it in. I made my point and so has everyone else. It's ultimately the choice of the person installing the OS whether or not to use Vista or XP or Linux or Tiger etc. We can only pass on our feelings and personal experiences. The only reason I felt compelled to even post was because I feel like the ones talking the loudest really have never tried it and will never give it a chance. This isn't a new argument and will probably never end...you'll see more when MS releases 7 and the next OS after that and the next after that. You can't make everyone happy, but only try to improve on what you already have.

Cheers m8s!

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I for one have tried vista and don't like it. that's all I will say on that matter.

now how bout some benchy's where it really matters. I don't game so 3D Mark benchy's don't mean that much to me. I'll run 3D Mark 06 after bit anyway and post the results later. here's my sandra benchy's

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89/Mort81/Q9450Benchmarksat356ghz-1.jpg

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.