1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I stopped benching with sandra as there were too many different versions, and like 3dmark, the numbers change with every version. Is there something a little more unified to test with?

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    Nice benches (I think)! LOL too small, you can't read them and they don't get bigger when you click on them!

Russ

3. greensman

greensman Regular member

Morty you might use links or individual pics with your post. ;) I can't read the values and it looks like one is over 60k!!! :D

.....gm

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

rick5446,
    It's a shame the eMachine is probably not like mine, as it's got the best cooling case I've ever seen once you get rid of that $2.99 cooler that comes with it and put something decent in it's place! I have an Arctic Freezer 64 in mine, along with a decent Thermaltake 500w PSU, and it's absolute magic at cooling. The temp in the room yesterday was 32C (very warm 88F)! The CPU temp was 37C, and all it's got is a 92mm rear case fan! The AMD 64x2 4800+ is not the coolest running CPU, so to me, it's twice as amazing! This is what it looks like!
    http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=T3616

If it's the same, talk to me as I want another one.

Best Regards,
    Russ

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    Go Speed Racer! LOL!! My kind of Woman!

Russ

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That beats my score when I OC'ed my HD3870 using my dual core though, so quad cores do have an effect. 3.42Ghz Q6600 got me 18800, 3.20Ghz E4300 got me 14100... Same card.

9. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Mort81: Thanks those instructions help a lot

theonejrs: Yes its quite similar to that one, where the contour on the gray on mine goes straight across/with the 3.5 in the gray and 2 DVD Bays in the black, mine is the old T2625
    Just not enough bays 4 me. You want it your going to have to come get it I live in the middle of Florida (Tampa). Probably shipping costs would be to extravagant. By Newegg rates looks to be about 20 bucks

10. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

rick5446,
    Unfortunately the side vents are different and in the wrong place. If you look at the side pics here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...80(2.00GHz) 2GB DDR2 Intel GMA 950 - Retail
    notice the three rows of small vent slots. They are identical on both sides and have 45 degree louvers on the inside. That coupled with all the holes in the front behind the cover and the holes in the inside parts, seems to do a perfect job of cooling. Unfortunately the older models did not cool near as well, as I've had a few of them come through here for repairs.

With mine I think it's the placement of the vents and the fact that the Freezer 64 blows it's air almost smack in the middle of the exhaust fan that does the trick. I've never seen another computer run so cool in such hot conditions. 32C/88F is pretty warm. To be able to maintain 37C in those conditions is pretty remarkable in my eyes!

Hey it never hurts to ask, and I appreciate the offer!

Thanks again,
    Russ

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's idle though, right?
    At normal voltages, in an ambient of currently 26C, my CPU idles at 33C. If I up the voltages a bit I get 31C idle on the CPU, and 45 on the chipset versus the current 52. I know that's the opposite of what you'd expect, but there you go...

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    If it's me you are asking, yes and no! It was burning a DVD at the time, so it had the heat from the DVD Burner to deal with as well! I don't think the burner puts any real load on the CPU, just a little more heat inside the case. I don't think it was designed with low temps in mind, but rather a case of making holes to keep the weight and steel costs down. Whatever it was, it certainly works well! I have intentions of replacing the 92mm fan with an FM-121 and running it at it's lowest speed in the future. There's more than enough room to do it and with a hole punch I can add the extra holes, so it should be almost silent! The present 92mm fan makes too much noise at an annoying frequency for my tastes!

Russ

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I didn't notice any increase in my temps when burning a DVD...

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Oh I doubt that it would add very much to the overall heat inside the computer case, but DVD Burners do get a little warm while burning. It's one of the reasons I always put my burner above the DVD Rom drive, because heat rises. I just figure every little bit helps! LOL!!

Russ

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

To be honest, I used to stick the DVD burner above the ROM (when I had two of course!) merely parroting how I've seen it done in prebuilt systems... I do note how hot discs get when burning, especially at 20x... lol I know that's a bad thing to do, but hey....

18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

now i know tis isn't the scan thread but seeing we are on the subject of heat and burning.there is very little if any difference in heat when burning other than the terminology.

and burning @ 20x isnt all that bad, if your set up for it. Right GM??? lol

here is a shot of my system before a burn and during a burn tmeps change 1 degree.

before burning
    [​IMG]

this is the temps while burning @ 20x
    [​IMG]

19. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

I have a question: I just plugged in my old WD MyBook external HDD (the ones that turn on and off w/ the computer) while Windows was running, and I restarted a little later, and my cpu went back down to 2.66 GHz, which was the only setting that changed in BIOS. Does one have to do w/ the other?
    I'm sure it's the HDD because after it restarted back to 2.66, I put the OC settings on again, and it failed while the it was plugged in. When I unplugged it, the OC worked again when I set the settings.

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.