1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greensman

greensman Regular member

@RedRob

Yes!!

lol.

spend a few more dollars and get these. ;) linky

...gm

oh and yes i like spending your money!!! Mwuahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

those do look SWEEET. but i have the gift cards for bestbuy..lol they dont have those there....wish they did i'd get them

they have the X-540 version but way more than what im willing to pay. i just need some decent speakers, better than the cheap ones that are with my monitor.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  3. greensman

greensman Regular member

Those will BLOW away the little monitor speakers!!! lol. I have the monitor w/ speakers at work and they stink.... :p

Use dem dar BB gift cards... :D

....gm

4. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

just ordered them along with a couple playstation games for my sons b-day.

getting ready to try a little more OC....bbltr

5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

greensman
    AfterDawn Addict

welcome to the club. its about time.....

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

mrk44,
    I would be very careful what you plug that drive into, as you don't want to damage something permanently. It sounds an awful lot like your old "My Book" has reached the final chapter! Whatever it is, is putting a big enough drain on the voltage to cause the computer to crash, and that's not good!

I had a drive that would last all the way through an xP install, and then crash on the first real boot-up, every time. Like an idiot I grabbed it with my hand and got burned. That sucker must have been 160F or higher as I wound up with some nasty red marks on my hand for a few days! Segate has a nice 500GB one at Newegg for $102.99 with free shipping! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148240
    Check it out. It has all three interfaces, usb, FireWire and E-Sata!

Best Regards,
    Russ

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

god help us all, gm.

8. Evastar

Evastar Regular member

Sam, got my new headset today, thank you so much for your advice, the sound quality is absolutely brilliant, i am thrilled with it.

Well worth paying the extra money :)

9. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

I guess it's time to chuck the thing then. Had it for a good year...
    Anyway, it was a backup drive to my regular external so I don't need a new one as I already have a 500GB Buffalo working nicely at the moment. Thanks for your help!

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

mrk44,
    You're most welcome! You might want to check on the warranty. They vary quite a bit between different manufacturers. The warranty period could be as little as 1 year, to up to 5 years.

ddp,
    GM is well beyound God's help! ROFL!! I suspect there's a "Lightning Bolt" in a closet up there with his name on it if God ever stops laughing! ROFLMAO!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  11. proxyRAX

proxyRAX Member

Got my q6600 today.

SLACR MALAY
    L809B169

12. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

@Russ

i may step up to DDR3 by the end of the year..i've been looking around on newegg for some and looking at people's reviews...ic a few that don't make the 10666..ic see a few do corsair,g.skill,OcZ,..my mind is set on that OcZ Platinum at the moment..only if it's double side..but not sure about the volts..max you can take it??? what do you thing about it?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227244

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2008
  13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Gm: Congrats on addict status!
    Evastar: You're welcome, I'm thrilled with my Sennheiser set too.
    proxyRAX: sounds like a similar binning to mine, expect it to top out at about 3.3Ghz on a reasonable voltage, if you're OC'ing that is... :p
    Rob: X-230, X-240, X-530, X-540, all good perfoming sets for the price. I'm a Z-series fan myself, they can really raise the roof, if you're allowed to do such things... :p

14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

OH im the King of my Castle(as long as the QUEEN isnt home) i can raise the roof when ever i want..lol

i looked at the X-540 model at microcenter today. they are nice very nice. but i dont need 5 speakers plus the sub...i think the X-240 will be perfect for me.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

5.1 is only really useful for movies, unless you have a big room and like it to be filled with music (which 5.1 is actually useful for I have to say)

16. greensman

greensman Regular member

Thanks mate!! :)

RedRob just spend that BestBuy money and be done with it!! :)

....gm

17. proxyRAX

proxyRAX Member

I've got the X-540 and it works wonderfully. The soud is really nice and can be really cranked up, and the volume dial on the remote is just such a pleasure to turn (seriously). The only con is that the remote is wired and may be hard to use due to the short cord and the speakers are all wired as well. For the price though, you can't find anything better.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

bigwill68,
    The problem trying to decide what to get is very limited by the history of all the really good DDR3 that's been coming to market. They just haven got enough out there to allow you much information. The memory I'm most impressed with is this GSkill. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231162
    It's the only 1066 2x1GB that has timings of 6-6-6-15 at 1.65v. Everything else is 7-7-7-21 or 7-7-7-24. I also note that some manufacturers don't publish the voltage, not even on their websites. The lowest voltage wise, is the Mushkin at 1.5v, but again 7-7-7-21. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146737 Unless you absolutely have to have it now, I would wait till all this new memory shakes out a bit and gets a little history behind it.

I do know a couple of people who have the Corsair XMS DDR3. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145181
    They both claim that it works very well.

The thing is, is that right now it's strictly a crap shoot. All you have to go by for the most part is the Manufacturers claims. I'm going to wait before I even consider building a DDR3 machine. I know none of this is the answer you are looking for but the current crop have been out, in some cases only a few weeks, so you have nothing tangible to go by!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  19. spamual

spamual Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2008
  20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

oh its spent. i will have them thursday...free shipping so why waste my gas driveing over there and getting them..lolyup im a cheap SOB...

and about this time tomorrow i will have swapped out the GA-EP35C-DS3R for the new GA-EP45-DS3R. hopefully it will have atleast a F7 bios if not a flash is in order.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.