1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

We gonna try to work around that first b4 we try a new install as the last measure...it seem to it's just a driver issue not really bio's

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

oki get the picture. ya all wanna see me suffur through a XP install..lol

good thing i have 2 hdd's in it now. ill reinstall on the IDE hdd then copy over the stuff i have from the sata hdd.

i guess doing that. makeing the IDE hdd the master i would need to set the sata hdd in a different slot other than the sata 00 slot.put it in sata 05

3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

oh its a bios issue also.. i cant get it to OC...from what ive read about this board. hardly anyone could OC with it until they updated the bios to at least F8. there is a F9 and a F10 beta out now. i wont mess wit hthe beta version ill wait till it is made final.

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

Yes if you wanna keep from having to many headaches. lol. :p

...gm

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

In my younger days i often swapped out motherboards and such without reinstalling (and even under Windows 2000!!) but more often than not it's better to reinstall, even if Windows appears to still work after component surgery. The same applies in the Linux world too in my experience.

6. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Xp is see'in new hardware which is on that board...it's like see'in a new Audio card install in your pci slot and asking for a driver to make it work...i'll see it when you bring it in..it's all about Drivers..

7. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

well..I guess we need to update the bios then from Gigabyte..lol

we are gonna get it to work b4 we leave work 2 nite Row
    ps.sorry 4 double post

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2008
  8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  9. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

well that problem is solved on the issue of the high definition audio bus driver just had to look in the System32/Driver file and get that..(No New Install of Xp Had to be Done at all) Told you Boys.I'm Good at Drivers and Dll configuration now he's updated the bios to f9 from f6 and doin some tweakin in the Oc part..and bumping the p45 up..lol

it's running smooth for RedRob

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2008
  10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

as wilbo stated its up and running @3.6ghz. i have OCCT running right now... there is so much in thisdamn bios that i dont have a clue as what to do with....
    cpu pll
    cpu termination
    cpu reference

mch core
    mch reference
    mch/dram reference

in advanced clock control it has this
    cpu clock drive
    pci express clock drive
    cpu clock skew
    mch clock skew

in cpu host frequency
    for an 800 mhz fsb cpu,set this item to 200 mhz
    for a 1066 mhx fsb cpu set this item to 266 mhz
    for a 1333 mhz fsb cpu set this item to 333 mhz
    for a 1600 mhz fsb cpu set this item to 400 mhz.

there is a ton of stuff in here.
    i have my mem at2.00d right now it is 1-1 ratio but at 5-5-5-18. i cant see how to set it tighter to 4-4-4-12.

ill do some shots of CPU-z and such later... i gotta get some work done fast like..lol

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    First off, with all due respect, why do you insist on saying things like that? It's just plain flat out bad advice! I advised cincyrob that if his bios was lower than F7, to install F7. He hasn't done that yet! Why I don't know! I know his E8400 doesn't have the E0 stepping, but the F6 doesn't fully support the Wolfdale, even though it says it does, nor did the F5, a common thing with all MB manufacturers! They also don't give you enough information as to what the bios revisions actually do! You can get into trouble just going and putting in the latest bios. I know your time is so valuable that you don't want to waste it, but if you progress upward in small steps, you are more often better off. The "known to come with an unstable bios" refers only to the very first bios, which was F4. The major change was from F4 to F5 and F6. Had I done that with my motherboard when F10 was it's latest bios, I would have had a boatload of problems, which I eventually did have anyway, when I did upgrade to F10. The trick is to try and solve the problems at hand, not perhaps create more problems. Just because the bios is the latest, doesn't necessarily mean that it will cure all your problems unless it is supposed to cure your specific problem.

Since he's also having problems with his memory timings, I would recommend he try F8 at this point and see if that improves things! F9 may work out to be fine, but he won't know if F8 will take care of the problem unless he tries it first. If it does cure the problem, then there's no need for him to flash to F9. Latest is not always the best!

He can't hurt anything by trying, and it doesn't take that long to to flash the bios. Flash, shut down, pull the battery and the power cord, not just shutting off the mains. Let it sit for 5 minutes, replace the battery and fire it up. F9 could wind up being just as big a problem for him, as F10 was for me, and it's the only reason I moved up to F11 with mine, which has been working fine ever since I flashed it! If you remember, I had memory issues with F10, that vanished with F11, and F11 didn't say a word about memory problems!

Suppose that F9 gives him more problems than he had before? Some motherboards will not allow you to flash back to an older bios. I ran into that problem on the Asus P5N-E, with the second motherboard we received from Asus (the first one was DOA). Once I flashed it at the recommendation of the Techs at Asus, I couldn't flash it back. It died in less than 4 hours anyway! The third and final MB did allow me to go either way, up or down, and the nightmare was finally over! I still was never able to get her E4300 to run over 3.0GHz on that MB stable, but then again, her E4300 was a used one, bought privately from a stranger on line!

In my mind, it's a wonder computers run at all, given all the variables that different hardware can create! There are thousands of different hardware combinations, and one single component can cause you grief! I once had a computer crashing left and right, and it turned out to be the Fax Modem, a simple basic low tech communications device causing all the problems! The potential for hardware issues will always be with us!

Now what was that about you "Always being Right"? LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

12. spamual

spamual Guest

[/break]

russ i think fudzilal might just be wrong:

http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=322788

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

now is it just me or does that say DDR3 1900 support?

GO GIGABYTE :D, and i said on another thread, i wanted GB for the X58s, this is pushing me :D, just hope they have REAL VALUES for the OCing, and that their final board doesnt look like something out of fisher price LOL!

please let them have a nice board and good bios, and im choosing them for my X58, ofcourse it has to OC the nutts, as thats always my priority :D

oo and liking the nb with watercooling idea, as i listened to your idea for w.c my E2140 (you really put that in my head, much to sam's disary, of my spending £200 on a case and modding just for a E2140 :D) and i have fallen for the idea now. the NB water cooler is a good idea, glad ASUS got that on their ROG boards, and now the otehr are usinging it. and you kwno with GB using it, it will be qualtiy at a good price (looks at asus in shame :p)

[break]

13. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well first off. it came with F5.it would fire up and run at stock settings but not OC settings.
    i passed F6 bios and tried F7 same thing it would run fine at stock but when i tried to OC it would continue to reboot after reboot. so i skipped F8 and now have F9 in and running fine. i have my 2.6ghz OC back and running stable. i just finished OCCT. here is a shot.

[​IMG]

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/Cincrob/2008-09-03-20h28-CPU2.png

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/Cincrob/2008-09-03-20h28-VCore.png

i have the vcore set in auto still(i thini i do) i did set my mem volsts up to 2.2v as standard.
    but i need to now figure out where in here i can tighten my mem back up to 4-4-4-12. but i think i will have to loosen them up some if i try 4.0ghz. which i will once i learn more about all these settings..

tomorrow when im at home i will take a few pics of my bios and post them and get some info from you guys.

im gonna now run a couple more stress test to make sure its stable.

i got all driver issues,and everything else straightened out perfectly wioth the help of bigwill. so i have no hardware issues now...

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

looks to be a very promising mobo. now, and I quote if
    they will be a strong contender with the ROG and lanparty mobo's.

Russ,

why did you say this
    that should not be necessary when flashing the bios, at least I,ve never found it necessary. I've only had to manually clear the cmos once, ever, and that had nothing to do with a bios flash. oh and no offense but lets leave the P5N-E out of the discussion. that mobo was a lemon from the get-go in every respect.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

spamual,
    Welcome back! I realize that I was out of line by saying anything sucks! "I personally don't like it" would have been a much better choice of words! That won't happen again! My apologies to anyone I may have offended with that statement!
    I guess the bottom line is we will find out, when Core i7 makes it's debut. Who knows what is and what isn't? Are they teasing us? It's like when I had the final Beta of Windows 95, and then standing in line for a couple of hours to purchase it the first day. Got it home and installed it, and it wasn't near as good as the final Beta! LOL!! In fact it looked and felt nothing like the beta! I certainly hope that the Fudzilla article was wrong!

Happy Computering,
    Russ

16. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

[​IMG]

looks stable to me...lol

17. greensman

greensman Regular member

Morty... ;)

RedRob.... that's looks as good as anything you've posted in months. :) Glad you didn't have any issues with finding drivers and such. ;) NOW if you do have some issues... a fresh install of Vista might do you some good. heheheehe. :p

.....gm

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    I said it because it's more a thing with the PSU combined with an active bios which was how it was explained to me. Even with the main switched off, there is still some juice going to the motherboard, and not just to the power switch on the computer. It all depends on the design and quality of the PSU! The same thing happens with certain types of crashes. You go into and endless cycle of re-boots, and the first thing you think of is you've blown up something on the MB! Turn the main switch off and wait a while and then turn the computer back on and it does the same thing over and over. Unplug the power cord from the PSU for a few minutes and when you turn it on it will turn on, off and then on again and boot right up! I've also seen a lock-up so bad, where even turning off the mains will not turn the computer off! It's almost like a relay or something is locked closed! I never had that with any of the junk PSUs I used to use! LOL!!

I figure that whatever the reason, it's worked for me, and it sure can't hurt! My assumption is that the PSU constantly monitors certain things in the computer, even when shut down, even though the PSU is turned off. I know that I have been advised by both Asus and GigaByte to unplug the PSU when you remove the battery. I've just done it that way ever since without any problems or issues when I re-boot!
    It was only mentioned because this is the first time I ever ran across that kind of problem, and only with the second MB! The third one worked fine, as I stated! :)

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  19. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

that board gonna have healthy price tag on it...ic it's tagged Rev 0.1..i guess that's how they gonna start out at..

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

bigwill,
    I'll bet around $200! It will more than likely be Rev. 1.0. I think all of their motherboards are that way. It looks like the water block is all copper. That's a sticker on the top. I also think that the water block will be mandatory for any decent X58 MB because I'll bet that the Core i7 will be just like the higher Kentsfields as water cooling is mandatory with them. I wonder how Intel will determine that for a warranty problem. The way they've gotten lately, they will probably ask for a copy of the receipt for your water cooling set up or a copy of the invoice. The QX6850 is as high as they presently go with air cooling! I had to supply a copy invoice when I replaced the D-940. The hardest thing was when they asked for the tiny numbers on the CPU board, just outside the heat spreader. It took a 7 power OptiVisor and a magnifying glass to even see them. It took the collective efforts of 4 people to figure out the numbers. A microscope would be the best bet, and I am serious! The only thing I ever saw with that small a print was a pin with "The Lord's Prayer" on the head of it! LOL!! Intel is not quite as friendly as they used to be when they were fighting for customers! Surprise, surprise! ROFLMSOAO!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.