1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

is this what you mean??
    [​IMG]

I just wanna see your reaction..lol

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

bigwill68,
    Yup, and they are even tinier on the D-940 and written in a yellow gold sort of color on a green background! Hard as hell to see!
    You would have been better off wondering what my reaction was when I was trying to read the damn thing! LOL!! The guy from Intel was no help either! 10 years ago I could have read it from across the room. I had extraordinary eyesight, well into my mid to late 50s. I've only worn glasses for about 6-7 years! When I was low on money I would go into a bar, order a beer and strike up a conversation about good eyesight. I would bet that I could read a Reader's Digest the length of the bar. Never lost! LOL!! One guy accused me of memorizing the RD! I had him take out his driver's license and I read that! $50 please! ROFLMAO!!

Happy Computering,
    Russ

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What's with the crystals?
    I think we're all hoping the fudzilla article is wrong. Time will tell, I suspect. What the article says though, renders i7 almost useless for overclocking though, so to come across a watercooled chipset heatsink? That has Overclock written all over it... :p

There is definitely power going to a motherboard when a PC is switched off but the PSU left on. Turn that switch off at the back though and it cuts all power to the PSU, at the A.C. side, so the board can't see anything.

I have no issue reading the tiny writing at the bottom of my E4300 (since it's out on the desk presently) from about 9 inches distance, but further away and it gets a bit tricky...

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I don't know what to tell you Sam! Both Asus and GigaByte told me that there was something about the bios being monitored unless the plug was pulled with some PSUs. I have no idea, but if there is no voltage with just the mains switched off, then why would I have the repeated on/off/on/off continuously after a crash? Why also was I unable to shut it down with the mains when it froze up real bad? I tried the reset switch, holding the power button in and turning off the mains on the psu, and the picture remained on the screen until I pulled the plug!! I turned the PSU off with the mains switch and went grocery shopping, and when I came back 45 minutes later, I turned the PSU back on and when I booted it up the power just kept turning on and off every few seconds. I had this happen to me several times while overclocking. Once I turned off the mains and pulled the plug from the PSU, 5 minutes later it would on/off/on and boot right up!

Respectfully,
    Russ

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Turning the PSU switch off at the back and the picture stayed on the screen? I'm baffled...

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    If you remember, I have seen that once before, only there was sparks and flame coming out of the PSU! I had to pull the power cord before I could pull the burning drapes down and throw them in the shower. I remember being amused at the time seeing the screen on and smoke and sparks and flames coming out of the back of the tower! When I saw the drapes go up, I was no longer amused! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ
    P.S. Check your e-mail

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, but not quite the same thing eh! :p
    Seen the email, will watch in a bit, I'm actually in the middle of a supreme commander game at the moment... haha

8. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok fellas im moven over to the OC thread with this stuff here.seeing im more into the OC part now instead of building.. until i get me a E0 stepping E8400 or E8600...lol

pics of my new bios
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/83263/4248740

oh yea i got my speakers yesterday. just put them together.. man these things are loud!!!!!!!!!!. very nice for $39... well at least i think so. i gotta get thevolume adjusted from when it starts up. sounds like it is turned all the way up.

KID ROCK sounds good on these speakers...lmao

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Russ,

I wasn't specifically talking about removing the power cord from the PSU when you clear the cmos. I was refering to you clearing the cmos in general when you flash the bios. you should not have to clear the cmos when you flash the bios.

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    I just do it because every MB manufacturer I've dealt with in the last year or so recommends it. Asus, Biostar, Dell, Gigabyte, Foxconn and a few other as well. There must be some reason they all tell you to do it that way! I'm going to do some research and report back on it!

EDIT: This is from Abit's forum. Scroll down to "after the flash procedure". They advocate clearing the bios after flashing, and even tell you to put the cmos jumper to 'clear cmos!
    http://forum.uabit.com/showthread.php?t=133291

Happy Computering,
    Russ

11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Russ,

that was from clear back in 2003. I have never cleared the cmos after a bios flash. never had the need to or even thought about doing it. I can't remember ever reading anywhere in any of my mobo manuals in regards to flashing the bios, where it says to clear the cmos after a bios flash. I've never done it but hey to each their own. there is usually more than one correct way of doing something although sometimes one method requires some unneeded or unnecessary effort.

call me lazy, but I'm not going to start clearing the cmos now after many successful flashes without any problems. I haven't had the need to clear cmos after a bios flash yet and not about to change my ways now. if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

12. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    Different strokes for different folks. If you never have a problem then all is good! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

14. greensman

greensman Regular member

you guys make me giggle. ;)

You both know that you can do it either way and trying to convince one or the other to do their way is fruitless. lol.

I've flashed the BIOS a few times... not nearly what you gentlemen have but I've done it both ways with success. ;) So just do it your way and enjoy it. :p

....gm

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman,
    Oh, so GM stands for Giggle Man! ROFLMSOAO!!

Russ

16. greensman

greensman Regular member

NOT to get lost in the BIOS wars.... lol. :p

I like that case just needs some GREEN fans to make it RIGHT!!!! :D It has some nice features and the possible cable management is MUCH better than the regular 690 offers. :) OH and it has 6 (yep six) bays for ODD's!!!! *smiles from ear to ear* :D

....gm

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i knew you would point out the 6 drive bays..lol so did I....and it does look to have some good grazing land in there to hide stuff...lol
    id say at the top where they have the space for the water coolant. you could do alot with it if not useing water... might have to auction of my 690 and step up to a 932.....

what is it? allways gotta have the next new toy..lmao

BIOS war???? hell ive fought my war with the bios... now i just gotta understand what i can do in it...lmao... guess its not as good to have the only one of a product when it comes to help...

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    Yeah well, My new toy resides in my computer and has about 2500 pipeless pipes! LOL!! Eventually it will have about 8000! LOL!!

Russ

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You can stick nine optical drives in an Antec 900, if you don't want any hard disks! lmao

20. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Ouch, i've only got 6 HDD's in mine with 3 opticals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.