1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yea but ya have to have at least 2 HDD. maybe 1tb each.... gotta be able to store 4+gb files and such.... ;)

so 7 ODD and 2HDD would be fine...lmao..

thats how we do it aint GM???? roflmfaopimp

2. greensman

greensman Regular member

I think looking at the "setup" of the Antec 900 I would do 6 opticals and 3 HDD's. :) That way I could install a fan for cooling the HDD's and allow some forced inflow. :) BUT it would be ULTRA cool to have 9 ODD's!!! :D

creaky has it backwards!! just like normal.. hehehe. :p j/k creaks...

.....gm

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I own 11 hard disks and 1 burner (that gets used at all, anyway). LOL

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    Nope! Ain't happening! There's no way I'll ever go for even a 500GB. Way too much to lose if the drive goes belly up! Hell, I've got 8 Sata ports, and I don't see any point in the opticals being Sata, so 4 Seagate 250s w/16MB cache will do me just fine! A lot less painful if one should go down!

Besides, have you ever wiped a 500? I just did last week. I had no choice as it was full of trojans and viruses. Over 12 hours just to wipe it secure! No thank you! LOL!!

Russ

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So what would you say if I told you my mate Jon has 16 750GB drives?

6. greensman

greensman Regular member

Hay-Zeus KRISTO!!! That's quite a bit of storage!!! :)

Russ I've formated 2 750GB HDD's and it's NO quick task I'll tell you that.. lol. :p

....gm

7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i have 2 250gb 1 sata 1 ide.. i do plan on getting 1 more 500gb just for storage of those 4+gb files... i dont keep anything real important on the computer anyway. so i,myself wont be out anything other than music,videos,pics(that i have all backed up)

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I quick format all my drives... So sue me. :)

9. spamual

spamual Guest

quick format is all you need if you are just reinstalling an OS.

btw next week, (damn u russ :p) im buying the case i want for my W/c.

the beautiful Lian-Li PC-A70B

im spend about £180 in getting the case and modding it, ready for watercooling.

itll have my name cutout on the side panel, along with a rhonbus window, and a 120.3 rad fittings for the top.

im like a kid at EID, i cant wait :D

10. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

sued.

11. spamual

spamual Guest

im i the only one that doesnt understand?

12. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

he was referring to this post

13. spamual

spamual Guest

ahhh, now that does make sense :D

14. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

look at your's & mine post times as they are the same.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris and spamual,
    I agree, if you know what's been on a drive like your own personal one, a quick format is all you need. In this particular case their AntiVirus had expired 6 months ago. It had so many viruses! I didn't want anything left on that drive! A 35 pass Gutman format, and format the drive the long way at the install. There's no possible chance of any recovery of anything!

I did my long overdue (2 years for this drive) re-load of XP-Pro, and just installed a WD 120GB I had here and put a fresh copy of XP on it. Transfered everything I needed from the old drive, now Drive G and then quick formatted drive G. Bye bye old Windows! I've since got the drive letters straightened out, so the new drive is C and D, and the old one is E, F and G. The two opticals are H and I. Once I installed the new HDD, it took me less than 2 hours to install XP-Pro, SP2 the drivers for the MB, Video card drives, all the usual stuff. Then I did the essentials like AV, FireFox2, WMP-11 and a few utilities. I'm not going to put as much software on it as before. I don't use Office XP anymore, and Wordpad or even Notepad will do fine. I'm down to 14.273 for SuperPi 1M. 32,727 MIPS and a Memory Bandwidth over 8000! All at 3.55GHz! Runs Sweet!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  16. proxyRAX

proxyRAX Member

I finally got my new baby to work. After many hours of laboring with the damn networking connections and drivers for my now completely obsolete wireless card, I got it up and running. Yay me. Running off of stock heatsink until my TRUE comes. No idea how I will get that stupid thing off. Took so much effort to latch it on...

In the middle of TF2 installation at the moment. =] Thanks to all who helped with my bothersome questions.

17. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

Rob for that kind of money might as well get the Antec 1200 12 bays man!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

proxyRAX,
    It really is easy to install if you know the trick. To take it off just turn the 4 knobs counterclockwise and pull each knob all the way up. when all 4 are done it will pop right out.

To install one is just as easy. Take a look at the pins first. You will see a round plastic cylinder with the split MB pin sticking out of it. You want the larger part flush with the MB Make sure the pins inside the motherboard pins are pulled all the way up and turn the knob clockwise! Get the pins located in the holes in the MB and push the spring bracket down with your finger or thumb so that the pin is all the way in the hole and push down on the knob. Putting pressure on the spring bracket lets the pin be inserted all the way into the MB so the plastic above the pin is flush with the motherboard, so the locking pin goes right in. If it doesn't, maintain the pressure on the corner of the spring bracket and pull up on the knob, and it should pop right in the hole. Do this to them cross corner. If one of the pins comes out of the hole, don't be afraid to lift that corner to get the pin back in the hole! It will not fall off by gently lifting a corner of the spring bracket! Repeat for the others!

I've heard some people say that their cooler fell off. All I can say is If the motherboard pins are good and the cooler is installed correctly, that's impossible! You could shear the MB pins off if you dropped it hard enough, but it can't fall off! If it falls off, the pins weren't in right to begin with!

I tried to pull one off an old MB once, just as a test, and one of the pins finally broke. The lock pin was still firmly in the hole! You will see what I mean the next time you try it! Far simpler than it sounds! I spent an hour the first time, and now I can put one in, in about a minute, every time! I can't speak for every cooler on the market, but it works the same for the stock cooler and the Freezer 7 Pro!

Best Regards,
    Russ

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm all for modding cases, but cutting your name out in it? Hmm, there's a pretty hench risk of 'tacky' about that...
    I never have issues with the stock coolers unless the case uses raised sections instead of brass standoffs - then it's very difficult, and I usually have to settle for having three of the four pins attached.

20. spamual

spamual Guest

tacky? how so? i guess a mock up of the design would be nice to see if it is tacky. how to make one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.