1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

While we're on that front, does anybody know how to remove false positives in ESET/NOD32? I have a game incorrectly flagged as a virus, and I'm not sure how to get it to bypass the security check so it can actually be played.

2. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

sytyguy: I've done all that with no help in sight. All I find is other software to eliminate the problem. They all find something wrong, then want U to purchase. None of the CRAP worked
    I just bought another HDD, I think I'll just install it and put an operating system on it and format this bugger

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2008
  3. icemen

icemen Regular member

hey peepz

Can any1 help me, how do I change my default player on my pc? I have limewire which default & plays everything in window media player, how do i change this?

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

In a windows explorer window - tools -> folder options.
    File types

Properties on each file extension (e.g. .mp3, .avi, .ts, .mkv, .mpg, .mov) change application.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

rick, try system restore thru safemode. also try spybot search & destroy. dealt with that malware antivirus a few times lately.

6. 21122112

21122112 Member

Hello all. just got back from vacation in Bermuda. I went to power up my computer, It turned on. The windows screen came on but that is as far as it went. The little flashing bar on the front wouldnt move back and forth. could this be a Hard Drive issue? or a Windows Issue?

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

8. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

just check your setting in limewire and unselect default..I believe bearshare is alittle better..lol

i dont know what kinda files your trying to changes Videos & Music,Movies ??

here's link Below:
    Player Change
    you have a choice on what you wanna use to play your media files..
    right click on file( Open With) chose the program..

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2008
  9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

icemen,
    In Limewire go into tools/options/player and check the box to use Limewire's own player. I believe that's the only other option besides WMP! I have Limewire Pro and that's how mine is.

Best Regards,
    Russ

10. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Don't forget there's Media Player Classic (i've used this for some years as part of the K-Lite Codec Pack) and also vlc player, both of which play most or all formats out there.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

creaky,
    My Limewire Pro doesn't seem to let you choose anything but WMP or Limewire's own player. I have Gom Player, Real Player, Quick Time and several other players installed, but there's just a check box that gives you the two choices!

Best Regards,
    Russ

12. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

boy what are you all doin...?..I have options on what..i wanna use to play my media files...windows media player is my default player for music..I use cyberlink for movies if..i want..

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You might find this amusing, but if a limewire download finishes and I click 'open file' in the little box it pops up, my PC bluescreens and restarts, has done for months if not years. I changed all the filetype associations the method I described, to all run in Media Player Classic.

Mr. numbers: The blue bar sticking is an indication that windows has crashed during loading, that could be any number of things, unstable power, overclocked CPU, faulty RAM, dodgy hard disk, corrupt files on your install...

14. greensman

greensman Regular member

I like that little progie creaky. Just learned about it 2 years ago or so. I use winamp too, pretty good but it's a little bloaty at times. lol.

Russ why are you using Limewire??? I'm gonna get varnull after you for that.

Just ordered an ASUS HD2600XT. linky. I couldn't pass it up for the money and I needed another gfx card anyway. :)

.....gm

15. icemen

icemen Regular member

what is best downloading software then? there is also dat frostwire? is that any good? I use limewire as it easy to use for novice like me ;-)

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Limewire is easy, and often has individual files hard to find elsewhere, but is laden with viruses. believe it or not, dubious torrent sites are safer...

17. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

i perfer bearshare..myself

18. greensman

greensman Regular member

What Sammy said. :)

You'll have to find a torrent client like uTorrent, vUSE, ABC, BitTorrent, and so on. :0 link to different clients

Of course the next thing to find is torrents. I'll let you discover that magic on another thread. ;)

...gm

19. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

21122112, most likely a windows issue. do a chkdsk /f on the c:drive to see what happens. why is this post here?

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i had that problem when i tried a OC it would post goto the windows screen and stay there... i had to back it down and redo things in the OC more volts here and there.... did you try a OC lately?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.