1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

They're nice speakers, no complaints at all.
    Call of Duty though, 5.1 really does make an already excellent experience superb...

2. greensman

greensman Regular member

It must be nice to have a 30" monitor, BA gfx card, and a 5.1 or better sound system!! I wish I could do that too!! :p You know what sux... I make about $40k more than you do... ROFL... :p

...gm

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Russ,

my 250gb seagate 32mb ES.2 ST3250310NS hdd runs at 27c as does my 400gb samsung HD403LJ.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I generally get temps of 31-32C on my HD753LJ, and about 38C on my Raptor, around 39-40 for the ones in my external enclosure as I run the fan at its lower speed, too noisy otherwise. I generally consider 50C the 'you should do something about that' point for HDDs, and 55 the 'do something urgently' point. Fortunately it's pretty hard to get any HDD other than a Raptor that hot unless it's completely starved of airflow. Raptors can get there because if you defrag them, they have thermal runaway, even with a high speed fan blowing across them. Not sure how accurate that is as the actual disk surface doesnt get that hot, but maybe it's a bit like having a heatsink thats too small - no matter how fast the fan gets, the heatsink may be cool, but it can't get the heat away from the source fast enough.

6. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Sense we on the topic of hard drives...i have a question in everest under the sensor tab..it does'nt show my forth drive why is that? but under the summary it does...

link below
    sensor tab

Now under the summary tab in everest it shows everything

link below
    summary tab

if anyone knows the problem please let me know thanks

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

Maybe the Maxtor doesn't report temperature. Is it on the mobo or a controller card? I'm not sure that would matter but it had to be asked. :p

...gm

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Everest can only show the temperatures of three hard disk drives if more than one is connected externally.

9. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

the maxtor is on a card piggy backed along with the western digtal 320gb,but why the wd show and the and max don't? maybe the wd over powers it..lol

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The card may only pass through one temperature sensor, this is likely if the card was designed for RAID, even if you don't use it.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Here's a screen shot of my temps. The Computer has been on for several hours and it's not that hot today, it's only 28C/78F in here. Here's my current temps.
    [​IMG]
    Both drives are running 35C. Cooler Master did a very poor job when it came to the front fan, as it's only an 80mm. To add to the small fan problem, you have to leave a bay in between the hard drives, or not enough air gets in between them, so the air blows under one and over the other. I'm thinking of putting the bottom drive in upside down as the only heat sink is on the controller side. This way both drives should get good airflow over the minimal heat sink they have. Which ever one is on top, it's stays cooler as things warm up. I know it's a strange question but is there any problem with putting the hard drive in upside down so that the controller sides face each other? I've never come across one installed that way, so that's why I'm asking.

Happy Computering,
    Russ

12. ikknight

ikknight Guest

Hey guys, first i'd like to start off and say hi. I am completely new to this forum. I found this while looking for a site that has a forum about building computers and I found this one. I hope you are able to help. I'm new to building computers. I have never built one in the past. But I plan too now. I spent a great deal of time picking out pieces for a good build for gaming pc BUT now that I had selected all of them, I'm not sure if it is all compatible. Could someone help me and let me know if all of these will work together? Thanks in advanced!

I wasnt sure the easiest way to post this but I left links within the name to the item.

1. DVD DriveASUS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model DRW-2014L1T - Retail

2. CaseAntec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

3. HDWestern Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

4. Video CardBFG Tech BFGE88512GTSE GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retai

5. RAM CORSAIR XMS2 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX - Retail

6. MotherboardEVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

7. Power SupplyRosewill RX850-S-B 850W ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91 SLI 8800GTX SLI CrossFire Ready Active PFC PFC Power Supply - Retail

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ikknight,
    Welcome to AD!
    Everything looks decent except the motherboard. I did a fast look on Google and this MB definitely has had more than it's share of problems. The nVidia chipset just seems to have problems that nVidia has yet to solve. It's not so much the motherboard as most nVidia chipset motherboards seem to have the same issues. Just Google EVGA 780i or EVGA 780i forums and you will see what I'm talking about. If you Google 780i chipset, you will get mostly the same links, just more manufacturers with the same problems. I'm not going to recommend anything because the manufacturer doesn't seem to matter, just the chipset and Intel chipsets only support crossFire. If you are thinking SLI in the future, then that means an nVidia chipset at the moment.

The top 6 manufacturers in Rank order, at the moment are: Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, DFI, Abit and Biostar. All have problems with most of the nVidia chipsets, that are not the fault of the motherboard manufacturer!

You also might want to consider this 8800GT Video card, if you are looking to spend less!

EVGA 8800GT 512MB DDR3 Video card.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130347
    Comes with an Akimbo cooler.

It's two slot and costs $104.99 after using the promo code EMCAKBBAE for $20 off, and a $30 MIR! Don't forget the Promo code when ordering!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

15. icemen

icemen Regular member

ok peepz

I have a question, can you install windows media player version 10 onto vista OS? I just don't like the new WMP v11?

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm doubtful to be honest, I'd try using something different - media player classic, vlc, winamp, itunes, you have a fair few options...

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

18. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Is the SATA port on the back of MOBO the same connection as the ones inside

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i will agree with Russ. that MOBO(evga) is very well known to have many a different problems. i know a tech at my local microcenter and he has said that board is the most problematic board he has ever seen/returned.

WOW SAM i cant believe my board has dropped that much in price.
    if he wants the EVGA board I'm sure he is wanting SLI/crossfire. that board isn't that good for those features. it will do it but not at full power/max ratings. i wont suggest a board cause i don't know of any others, personly. lol

As for a case...you all know where im going...lmao
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160

just my opinions here. not pushing anything on anyone(well other than GM)

started a new thread heres the link

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/700687/4262339

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

True, if they want to use dual graphics, I'd recommend them the X48-DS4 or Rampage boards, but you'd be surprised, most people pick SLI boards without realising, or saying "I might add another card later on" - they never do...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.