1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greensman

greensman Regular member

ok... with that said... he had issues with the original post then?? At idle he had the same issues.... you even "quoted" it in your post here. ;) Am I missing something or am I just to tired to understand all this core talk??? :D

...gm

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Geeny

I read this,

and then figured it was a stuck sensor. None of the other cores that I glanced at showed an extreme heat excess of even close to 20C. That didn't excuse the fact that I hadn't observed the small but significant differences in the other cores.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  3. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

I tested my sensors with realtemp and got this:

[​IMG]

Core0 and core1 movement is a little high, but not enough to indicate it is really stuck. Does it??

And by the way, sophocles, what cooler are you using?

4. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

boys here's what you call a clean inside of a cm-690 case just without the white rear fan..specs included..that's a neat put together..clean
    [​IMG]

Intel Core2 Duo E8400@4.05GHz | ASUS Striker II Formula | EVGA GTX 280 FTW | OCZ 2x 2GB DDR2 800MHz SLI Ready@1000MHz 5-4-4-15 2.0v | Chieftec 620W | Vista Ultimate 64bit SP1 | CoolerMaster CM 690 black & white mod | ASUS MW221U 22" LCD | Cooling system ->
    EK supreme -> EK-NB S-MAX -> EK-SB Striker 2 -> 2x EK-Mosfet Asus 3a-> coming soon Aquacomputer AquafraFX GTX 280-> Laing DDC 12V 1T + top OCLabs & mod on ULTRA -> Black Water Advanced 121 rev. 2.0 + Black Water Advanced 122 rev. 3.0 -> Black Water O-Tank.

all yea here it with the panel Custom made side panel--Modifyed
    [​IMG]
    it's not mine it's a friends built from another site where they like to customize cases you know modify them make them different..but my next built will be with a cm-690 case or a stacker modifyed side panel clear like this 1 but not painted white..

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2008
  5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

THATS your computer?

No wonder you think 50 dollar fan controller is nothing...

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

no, that's not bigwills. he doesn't have asus striker II formula. will must have copied and pasted that from somewhere else.

mrk44,

I think you are getting bogus readings for core 0 and core 1. core 2 and core 3 appear to be right on par with what mine were under load at stock clock (2.66). have a gander. keep in mind, both these utilities figure the TJ Max at 105c as does your coretemp utility.

[​IMG]

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

bigwill68

That's a nice photo but it doesn't match your earlier discussions and descriptions of your stuff. Why would someone who prefers playing consoles and advocates a $70 graphics card water cool their GPU? It wouldn't make a difference because no amount of overclocking a $70 GPU can make it match a $150 graphics card GPU without additional cooling.

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah, except it's a GTX280 in the pic. Mort is right, Will just wants to showcase what his ultimate idea of a neat and clean computer would be :)

9. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

mort: I think you're right...my core 0 is 14C higher than yours and my core 1 is 6C less lol. Either I should get a new cooler, or my temps are just bs.

If anybody has any cooling alternatives or suggestions, please share because I'm desperate here...and if anybody knows any places/people who can help me out in the LA area, let me know....

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

MRK, I would RMA it if I were you.

While we are at it, I thought I would post a pic of my case! Just a LITTLE bit messy. Yes, those are corsair PSU boxes in the background. I need to clear out the crap from my last few builds. I've got video card boxes lying around in my room too. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with my Laptop.

[​IMG]

11. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

abuzar: RMA the cooler or the CPU? Because the most I can do with the CPU is use the manufacturer warranty because I bought it from fry's for $250 w/ gift card, not newegg. I can RMA the cooler though, if that's what you're talking about. But to be honest, that thing only cost me about $37, so it's probably not worth it.

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

mrk44,

I would be leaning more towards a temp sensor problem with your cpu.

abuzar,

I wish I could take a pic of your empty case with one of my modular corsair 620HX PSU's in it. wouldn't be near the mess. ;) ;)

13. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

it's not mine computer it's friend of mine from another custom modify cases that's all they do over there is custom cases on this thread and show there work off to others..

----------------------------------------------------------------
    Yeah, except it's a GTX280 in the pic. Mort is right, Will just wants to showcase what his ultimate idea of a neat and clean computer would be :)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Your right brother some clean neat modifyed cases nothing wrong with modify as you see that cm-690 side panel was cut out and redone with a clear side..i like that..

@mrk44
    rma the cases..i beleive u don't have enough air flow thru that cases
    that's like me when..i had my stuff in that clear my temps was way up.then..i swithed to this cooler master..i went from 52c idle 60c stress to 31c idle 47 to 50 stress in this cooler master should got it at first..but i thought the clear case looked good now it's Back in the box collecting dust in the corner..lol

14. greensman

greensman Regular member

Soph,
    Now that makes some sense... I think. lol. Adding to the observation that I initially indicated and with the additional reading I've done (which you provided really) it does seem that an issue lies with a faulty representation of his core temps.

So now I ask is this a serious enough issue that he should 'write/email' Intel or just blow it off and use the cpu with no REAL worries??

btw mrk44, with NO ill will toward the one that recommended that cooler, I would RMA it and try something else. With all the issues/problems you've had with it; a change makes logical sense. ;)

....gm

add: it's Greeny not Geeny.... hehehe. :p

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

bigwill68,
    Hang in there bigwill! I guess I'm one of the few that didn't miss what you actually wrote! ROFLMAO!! Is something like that your goal? Looks very nice!

Russ

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

bigwill,

that could be the problem if all his core temps were high (other temps as well) but it does not explain the differences in temps between his core's. I think core 2 and 3 are accurate and lookin good. no problem with those two temps.

17. greensman

greensman Regular member

Willy have you missed the last few posts that mrk44, Soph, and myself have made?? ;) It's clearly something with the cpu reporting temps as far as we can determine. And btw I've worked with the aluminum version of that case and it's airflow abilities are just fine..... More than adequate for his needs. ;)

....gm

edit: I was typing as Morty was... so redundancy at it's best... :p

18. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Russ Wrote:
    Hang in there bigwill! I guess I'm one of the few that didn't miss what you actually wrote! ROFLMAO!! Is something like that your goal? Looks very nice!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

yes sir goin with Asus setup this time around P5Qc mb for the floor plan and cm-690 case <little brother needs his Big brother> i'm goin to modify the side panel to full clear like that pic you all saw and going with cool master water cooler with Q9450 and some Corsair Dominator 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin ddr2 SDRAM 1066 that trio will run me from newegg $628.98 with $40 back off the memory gonna run vista this time around or maybe a split boot Xp and Vista but like it saids xp only knows 3.7gigs right? I think mort said that...:) anyways..I gotta birthday coming up nexts month and my son gonna throw me some money for my 40th's year and that help finish out the 590 build the end of august then..i can start buying thinks for the 690 build..and be done atlease by christmas or new years..

@Gm

this problem is almost or is the same as RedRob with his cpu E8400 on my board don't overheat it runs lower temps that my e6750 now if..i put my cpu on his board it runs fine also so something not matching right..my board was'nt matching that clear case..I had that you all talking about was and bad idea to..but sense..i moved over my temps dropped well do good much better..i can sleep at nite..:)..i'm just saying that case may not right for his type he's running..i sayin he got a heatsink with 120mm fan in it blowing out mass cfm maybe plowing out more than the rear fan and the top fan pull or suck out plus top fan is just and 80mm if..i'm looking at the right case nzxt blackline? i don't think the heat getting out fast enough as it produced..

this the case he got right?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146048

19. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

Well, I have written to Intel to tell them about the core temps, just waiting for a response... Can I use the Intel warranty if there is a problem with the sensor to fix the thing?

I'm gonna get another cooler. Probably water cooling since it's a good investment for the future. Now if only I can find a good one and someone/place I can pay to install it for me....

20. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

you can do it yourself it's easy to do..don't look hard at all..

my choice is made up on which 1..i'm going with for the end of the year build..
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103045

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.