1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Deadrum33,
    So you've trained the dog to catch your ejected DVDs and CDs? ROFLMAO!! Don't think I ever saw an upside down CD or DVD before, or do you live in Austrailia? LOL!

Just funnin with you, and Thanks for the reply!

Russ

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

In all the quad supported games I have, CPU usage was about 50% with the dual, and 50% with the quad as well...
    Mrk: Both, don't expect to overclock that well with 4 sticks, it's limiting.

Theone: Though not in a case, I've run HDDs upside down before (two next two each other in the same box) - never had any issues.

3. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Its not recommended but i've used external drives (DVD and HDD) upside down and there was never an immediate problem unless you moved the device while spinning which can be a problem no matter which way it faces!
    Different note, my "spare" computer which I planed on transferring to my recording studio died on me. I tested power supply first, my tester shows ATX and 12v ATX working properly. Funny thing, when all power connections are attached to mobo (ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe), nothing powers up, no response. When I took the ATX off the board to test it, the exhaust fans (except CPU fan) powered up when they wouldnt previously. I wouldnt think the fan headers would work with the ATX unplugged, I started unplugging my devices from the board and no signs of life yet. Any other builders out there have any trouble shooting tips? It was working fine till I turned it off the other day and it wouldnt turn back on.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Deadrum33,
    You could well have a short in the motherboard! Try unplugging everything attached to the MB, including the memory. If there's a short in the MB it won't do anything. If it does turn on, then turn it off and put the memory back in and see if it fires up. Shorts in a memory sticks are known to happen! Most PSUs are designed that way to prevent something (like the PSU) from frying. Decent ones detect short circuits and turn off so fast you don't even see it turn on! You may have a bad power switch on the computer. Pull it's plug and carefully jumper the pins and see if it turns on.

Best Regards,
    Russ

5. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Well I tested most everything, memory included and aside from jumpering the power on pins I cant think of anything else. There are hardly anymore old AMD 939 boards being sold. Anyone need an Opteron 185?

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Welcome to my world, I sold my 939 chip to Greensman after my second 939 board (for the same PC, first one failed too!) went south... When I'm feeling a bit more affluent I'm getting a 775 board for that PC and some cheap DDR2, already have my E4300 still lying around that can go in there.

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Deadrum, check the silver topped cans that are capacitors on the motherboard. make certain they are flat topped not domed nor leaking brown stuff.

8. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

Deadrum sent you a PM

9. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Thanks DDP--- I've read that advice before on different threads of yours and I wish I could say its as obvious as scorch marks or popped caps. The mobo shows its power LED, but nothing else seems responsive.

I wont be digging in too much tonight, if you're from the Ohio, or California USA region there's big football game about to start! Also, I've had a few adult beverages and dont want to do anything stupid :)

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Sam, take care how you phrase things. I had a sudden flash that I was reading an old thread and then I wasn't.:p

I thought Greeny lived in North America? Does that mean that you ship overseas??? If so, then I need to start checking Euro prices for parts.;D\

Anyone needs parts? Tell me which ones. LOL

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

I'll take any of the goodies you want to give away!!! :p

And yep he mails to the States. :0 It was as cheap as I could get it here on eBay.com and I got it from someone that I better trust. lol. I haven't had the time to mess with it yet so if it doesn't work I'm screwed cause I'm not flying to the UK to dole out a slapping... hehehee. :p

....gm

Russ you get that "upside down" drive installed?? I'm sure it'll work just fine. ;)

mrk44 I like the idea of 2 x 2GB better than 4 x 1GB sticks. Of course I wouldn't have cared until I started reading the OC thread. lol.

DeadRum33 you get a "buyer" on that Opty 185?? If not there are other mobo's available. I think that Foxconn sells a decent little mobo from the EGG. ;) add: just checked an it seems they are OUT ftm. :(

DeadRum33 Double T had a showing tonight. :) How's your team doing?? :D

12. spamual

spamual Guest

4870 pl0x, and a P5Q deluxe.... what other things have better prices there

loads of fans
    fan controllers, mouses etc....

13. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

My team is being exposed as a slow cold weather team prone to penalties against a good warm weather team on national TV. I had hope but its worse than I expected.
    Double T's eh? Good thing I didnt call you an aggie LOL!
    There werent any 939 boards on the egg or tiger direct, wont go the ebay route. I think I can get a new mobo & CPU combo with better specs for the same price as replacing the mobo.
    Probably just be best to sell CPU.

14. ikknight

ikknight Guest

Thank you everyone who have helped with the computer. I have a better understanding and a good idea where I am going now. Thank you :D

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Deadrum33,
    Check this link, it's a great MB. I think Sophocles has one or had one, Asus A8N-SLI socket 939. Cheap too and brand new!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...hQ3asearchQ7dQ7bifcontentQ3acontentQ7dQQfviZ1
    check it out.

Regards,
    Russ

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Deadrum33,
    True, but not near as good as this considering you would have to buy new DDR2 or DDR3 memory! You have everything you need now for this one!
    Check this link, it's a great MB. I think Sophocles has one! Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, socket 939, new. About as good as you can get for socket 949! Should OC like hell with your Opty!
    http://logicalplus.stores.yahoo.net/asa8denfslic.html
    check it out.

Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman,
    It works great except I have to stand on my head because everything on that drive is upside down! ROFLMAO

Temps look good and spot on with the other drive!

[​IMG]

34C looks good to me since it's been running all day!

UT fan BTW!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I still have an A8N-Sli Deluxe and A8N-Sli Platinum which is now my sons. One would think that the platinum would be the better of the two but the Deluxe was so easy to mod that it ended up having better cooling. The added cooling resulted in a better overclock of the Opteron 170.

19. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Thanks for taking the time to find those links, those would work...except Ebay link cost $60 and doesnt include the I/O shield with purchase and the yahoo store's link cost 3x as much as the ebay board! I know that they are 2 different model boards but does that mean the I/O shield cost $120? LOL!!!

I already have a spare 2x 1GB Corsair XMS2-6400 just laying around so really all I would need is a good mobo/CPU combo with at least 2 PCI slots, only need one PCI-E 16x slot.

20. greensman

greensman Regular member

Deadrum not to encourage you to keep the cpu but an I/O shield can be purchased from that ASUS online store IIRC.

Here's this mobo as well. ;) A8N-SLi for $79. I understand the eBay thing tho.. ;) Good luck with your decision... You "pawn" that cpu off yet?? :D

....gm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.