1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

HAHAhahaaaa ! Well I'm shocked. Bout to TRASH THIS OVERPRICE Piece of Crap

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Going to stick up for an Asus product here.... :O

What's wrong with it, exactly? I don't hear that many complaints about the P5Q series boards.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    With all but the most expensive ones, Asus went through a bit of trouble with some the P5Q Series about 2-3 months ago. I believe I reported it here?? Their Forum was full of complaints of strange things happening for a while. I personally think Asus got some bad chips from the bios manufacturer as there were a number of complaints that the bios wouldn't flash. To Asus credit, they did get the problems resolved in fairly quick (for them) order! If it was mine I would request a new bios chip from Asus. It's socketed, so it might save Rick a bit of time and trouble!

Russ

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  4. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Well that's the other PROBLEM 1-812-282-2787 their Tech line 7 days all I get is busy signal from 6 to 6..Anybody got another number

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Unrelated to my own personal thoughts as I've never tried contacting them myself, but google:
    "Asus tech support line"
    and look at the title of the second result. That's an impressively popular page...

Have you tried
    510-739-7377?

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    LOL!! If it was me, I would go back to where I bought the MB and explain that you are not able to contact Asus to get an RMA! It seems to me that the seller should have some influence there! I think their whole customer service is down though, as I couldn't raise them by phone either! All you get is a busy signal!

Oh! I was wrong, the bios is not socketed!

Russ

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As far as I knew, most BIOS chips were surface mounted these days. Pain in the proverbial. My housemate thougt he had a dead BIOS chip on his DFI RDX200, fortunately, pop one out and stick the new one in, even more fortunate, it turned out not to be dead lol.

8. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

Behind the times as usual. :p btw Russ was the first one to post about it I think. ;) I like it and I think that the recent offerings by BioStar are ok. I used an AMD mobo for my work build and it's a good little board. :) NOT this mobo I know but hey it's what I think. :p

.....gm

edit: to fix silly link........ Russ now yours is screwed!!!!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yea i remember Russ talking about it a ways back. Nothing much has ever really been said about it.Mcrocenter has it for 30 bucks cheaper.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Yo! GM,
    Loose the link! You can't transfer them like that. If you open it now you get about 5 pages of motherboards. You can post active links, but not a copy. They do that to cut down on spam! Open it, you'll see what I mean!

Russ

12. greensman

greensman Regular member

Silly link thingy.

Russ you asked me (??) to fix mine and you did the same thing!!! ROFL.

...gm

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman,
    LOL!! I forgot completely that your links are hidden behind plain text! It never crossed my mind! ROFLMAO!!

Russ

14. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I'm not real happy with the way this drive reacts is their a better firmware for this drive. This is what I've got now
    LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1S
    Firmware 9L09

15. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

whats the problem Rick ? I have the same drive using that firmware with no problems. you can revert back to the previous version of firmware though

16. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

It hangs when ripping a movie in DVD Shrink and Clone DVD. Done this quite a bit on brand new Discs, I've wiped them down, washed them, dried them good etc,still hang. But everything is fine in my LG & SONY..Burns better then the SONY though

17. greensman

greensman Regular member

rick you have to remember that ripping is drive specific. I have a bunch of drives and they don't all rip the same. The Sony (NEC chipped) seem to rip a little better and handle more stuff than the others. The Pioneers as well with "patched" f/w. I haven't messed with the Lite-On iHAS120 yet so no idea there. If the drive burns well then use it as a burner and scanner. Leave the ripping to the other drives in your stable. Just the "nature of the beast" with ODD's. :)

An "old" friend of mine from AD used a Pioneer 109 to rip and a BENQ DW-1650 to burn. Had excellent results when scanned in the BENQ, 98's and 99's on a consistent basis! It took him a few tries to get that combo tho. lol. It's trial and error when finding the best possible combination with your setup as it is with all of us. :D

....gm

18. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

My Benq 1650's are excellent rippers, very fast too, however i very rarely use them for ripping, don't want to wear them out.
    I now use an old LG 4167B burner as my main ripping drive, but it's fairly slow and isn't 100% able to rip everything, it struggles even on brand new discs so i just do those discs via my trusty ancient LG 4480B dvd-rom/cd writer combo drive (it's at least 5 years old) that's ripped countless 1000's of discs and it's still going strong.

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

and i wonder what the Dr. is up too???? ;)

i myself have that same drive LH-20A1S and it is awsome. burning that is. i myself use a different drive to Rip and Read.mostly my Samsung SH-S203B.will read anything and fast. a little loud but my 3 boys take care of the noise problems with any puter part..lol

TBH my best ripper i dont even have in my tower. my second ever drive. liteon SHW-160P6S. that bad boy would rip anything. even a disc i stuck them stupid sticky covers on that wont play anymore but i can rip them with that drive..lol

i am actually useing a older FW 9l08 and dont have any problems with it ripping, not that i do alot of ripping with this drive.

OK i must have missed something in the links above.im lost..lol
    so would that board be a good board for a Quad? or a novice like myself. my tech friend at microcenter told me the bios in it is like the DFI boards.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  20. greensman

greensman Regular member

Rob I don't see why it wouldn't be a good mobo for almost anything that Intel makes for 775 socket. ;) I'm impressed with this AMD socketed mobo and it does have a pretty good BIOS if you ask me. I haven't messed with it that much but I'll say the BIOS is better than the one you used to have on the GB. NOT bashing GB just stating a fact!! :p

btw I have 2 of the LH-20A1S drives and both have the C0deKing 9L09 f/w. :D Latest and greatest whenever I can do it. :p

...gm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.