1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

im sure it is fine. as is most boards out there.just not many people have/use them if not a big named brand. the reason im asking is. if i can come across a quality board from a lesser big named company i can save some funds and use it towards a bigger better CPU(q9650)..lol granted i can just use my mobo now,but i cant get the cpu now so i gotta save some. plus i plan on letting the wife and son have this puter... they dont know that yet but thats my every intentions...

2. spamual

spamual Guest

okay guys, back tot he mobo/gfx/cpu talk now, leave the ODDs for a day where i am banned :p

hehe

rob, thats board is a beat to to put nicely.

its got the world record for hisgest FSB with a penryn. and it costs a fraction of the more expensive options from other mobo makers.

IMO go for it, and clock the nutts of the Q9650.

and when u get good results, come back, and convince me to choose it over the P5Q Deluxe.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2008
  3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

LMAO

Spam its about time aint it???lol just jokeing.
    i do have some ODD talk i wanna talk about but will post it in another thread as its not build related.

see thats just it i was looking hard at the P5Q Deluxe also. but i can get that board for $119 with some inside help at microcenter.
    so thats a good 80-90 bucks saved.

wish i had someone i could sell a puter to around here.. mostly older folks in my neighborhood, that arent into puters..lol i think i might try that board. got about 2 weeks before i could get it. if i dont get the 932HAF case first..lol

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

Piss on him!! We took 5 posts maybe and he and the other gfx boys take pages. :p

So what are you doing for this "inside" contact you got going on?? That's one good deal for the Biostar mobo and it makes me even consider a purchase way to early in the game. lol. :p I like the ASUS P5Q Deluxe as well but at 60% of the price and possibly a BIOS that is comprehensive and a mobo that is "good" I'm very tempted!!! :D

btw RedRob you can post all you like about ODD's in the blank media thread. :p @ Shaaf!! ;)

....gm

5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ive hooked him up with some good info on blank media and burning tips. he will get credit for the sale so he dont mind,plus when ya like someone ya tend to help them out when ya can...you know what i mean GM...thanks.

just posted the question/thought.problem over in the scan thread.

i just cant make up my mind if i should try that board now with my cpu or go ahead and get the 932HAF. im wanting that case bad..lol

6. spamual

spamual Guest

HAHA

damn right we do, and rightfully so :p

i think its time for the month suspend, anyone got any ideas? :p

right should be buying my case today and getting it modded ready for a 120.3 and other mods :)

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I haspotted the HAF932 today at a UK store. Very nice, but £100.... :O
    If I was more wealthy, I would probably order one to try it out. haha

8. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Well mine always has to ABORT. I'm gettin tired of that

9. spamual

spamual Guest

firstly P6T Deluxe X58 pics:

[​IMG]

notice the battry and clr cmos jumper in the top right of the board, brilliant placement.

come on GB entice me already :D

secondly, just ordered my case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112141

ok so this is what it is:

Parts
    Price
    QTY
    Total
    Lian Li A70B
    £129.99
    £129.99
    Lian Li CD bezel
    £7.99
    £7.99
    Radcut in roof
    £15.00
    £15.00
    Rad Grill
    £12.00
    £12.00
    Window Cut
    £20.00
    £20.00
    Moherboard tray Cuts
    £15.00
    £15.00
    Window Acrylic Mirror
    £17.00
    £17.00
    Sunbeam Rheobus Extreme Black
    £24.99
    £24.99
    Cable Ties Black
    £0.00
    £0.00
    Cable Tie Bases
    £0.00
    £0.00
    Braiding + Heatshrink
    £0.00
    £0.00
    Acryan cathodes UV
    £5.99
    £5.99
    Acryan cathodes White
    £5.99
    £5.99
    Molex Y adaptor
    £1.00
    £1.00
    Molex to 3 pin
    £1.59
    £1.59
    Shipping
    £0.00
    £0.00
    Total
    £256.54

10. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I have a building issue so I figured I'd talk to the builders.
    A few pages back, I mentioned my AMD 939 board dying and moving on since replacement parts are hard to come by. Long story short, I have an cheap (Asus A8S-X with SIS 965L chipset) old mobo I'd forgotten about, I couldnt get it to run with a used 3800+ and "assumed" the CPU was the issue so I saved it for this rainy day. I decide to try my Opty in the board since nothing to lose. Startup was fine with only video card and memory installed. So of course I then set BIOS, installed Hdd, Odd, and loaded windows. Everything went great, made all my settings then tried to shut it down.
    Shut down hung for nearly 15 minutes it seemed. I had to use the power button to turn it off. While it was off I installed wireless card and connected all front panel wires. Now it wont start, theres power to everything but no POST, no beeps, no video nothing while all fans and drives spin, and all lights light up.
    I undone everything I done and went back to just GPU and memory it still responds the same. The same as it did 2 years ago when I originally blamed the 3800+ CPU. But I didnt get POST then, now I was running fine for over an hour then it reverted back to a dead state.
    For a minute I thought I was gonna keep my Opty but now I really am thinking of selling it.

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

That is strange for sure. You know that your cpu and psu are good right?? You don't have a grounding problem either? I'm needing more info personally. lol. I'd be looking at the video card or PCI slot as well.

...gm

12. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

That was my thought too GM, but wouldnt you hear a beep, if not a proper code? The card (7600GT) is fine, the fan spins on the bad board and does its job with a good one.

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

14. spamual

spamual Guest

sam you said a quad makes alot of difference in gaming:

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/intel_core_2_duo_e8600_review/default.asp

RIG:

ok so onto the games:

World In Conflict

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Company Of Heroes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Crysis

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lost Planet

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So for me that concludes it. a Quad is unnecessary in most gaming :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2008
  15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Benchmark me all you like, it doesn't take from the fact that in my REAL world experience every game that supports quad cores runs at nearly double the speed of a 65nm dual core. You can't take paper readings like these and just slap them into real world results, it doesn't happen.

Not all games may be like Crysis, but 25fps is laggy. 46fps is not. For those intending to throw away their existing board as soon as Nehalem hits, it isn't such a big deal, but for those who have just saved potentially over a hundred pounds by upgrading their system before the falling pound hit home on component prices, it's nice to know their Quad core CPU is already at work enchancing their games, and will only get better at doing so further down the line.
    Age of Conan was unbearably laggy on a Dual core. It's practically silk on a Quad, HD4870 or HD4870X2, the results were the same. Dual core failed at that game.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I can save you guys a bit of grief. On single and dual threaded games the fastest clocked processor of the same make will win and that is usually a dual core, but not always. On a quad threaded game a quad core will walk all over a dual core almost regardless of clock speed. Running most of today's games dual core has the advantage but in a matter of months a dual core will be hard pressed to keep up. I just read an article the other day on just this debate but I can't remember which one since I read so many. Graphics card GPU's are having a hard time trying to keep up with the complexities of modern rendering and more and more of the code is going to make use of multi core processors, and having more cores is going to be a benefit, but not today on most games.:D

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If there were a small number of titles in which it worked a bit, but not much, then I'd be more agreeable with Duals still being better for games, but since there are several that do it ok, and at least a couple that do it very well indeed, it's more of a good sign for quad core gaming. Several of the people at my LAN party have quads, and they're not idiots, far from it.

18. spamual

spamual Guest

brilliant article russ, im happy :D

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9489&Itemid=1

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

spamual,
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the real issue for overclockers was the frequency of the memory controller being controlled by the CPU speed, limiting the ability to OC well? I'll have to check back a ways in the thread and see what the original article said about it!

Best Regards,
    Russ

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The article is saying that just because the memory controller is on chip along side the CPU doesn't mean that it will affect the ability to control memory voltage as a separate entity. Anyone who has owned an AMD CPU could have told them that. I still have some concern regarding Nehalem's overclock ability, because the memory controller is on chip. With AMD it wasn't too much of an issue because Hyper transport multiplied times 5 to get the effective bus width versus Intel's quad pumped front side bus. That's why I decided to pick up the Q9650 because I think that the differences could be less than many expect. As a result I don't intend to move to Nehalem until at least a second generation. I have plenty of horse power for now. When the 8 core Nehalems become mainstream and affordable then I will be ready to make the jump.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.