1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

$199 for the Q9550 quite possibly, but $249 for the Q9650, given that it's currently $550? I'm not so sure...

2. spamual

spamual Guest

id love to see benches in games with E8600 vs Q9650, if only i could find them.

but really what i meant by showing that was quads are not more effective than quads, THOUGH sams findings were the opposite to that.

im still confused, but for me unless i can find a Q9550 E0 for £200 (aint gonna happen) ill stick with the E8600 E0.

ill trust fudzilla, because from what i have seen from them over the past 4 months has been a-ok.

Oh and sam, remember one will most likely be buying triple channel DDR3, so the cost may be higher, unless prices fall more. the prices now are brilliant, esp considering how much they have dropped over the last 5-6 months.

3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

Spam
    does £200=$365???? if so i can get a Q9550 and its EO stepping, and mail it to you and still make $20 on it..lol

i gota learn the currency rates better..
    is it EURO or GBP you guys use? no im not being funny?

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's GBP for us, the actul exchange rate at the moment is 1.75 dollars per pound (was 2.05 earlier this year). However, a $550 CPU will cost us £385, due to the taxes imposed on imported goods, along with VAT on all non-essential products.

5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

so then $289 would be £158

heres a shot of everest. Ive noticed with this mobo it don't show the CPU temp just the core temps. also the mobo temp. guess i got the mobo nice and cool..lol
    [​IMG]

is there a newer version of everest? or does this one not support the p45 boards properly?

6. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

the Q9450 is the best choice for the money. encoding time are great with DVD Rebuilder

7. spamual

spamual Guest

no it isnt, the Q9550 is, as its the same price.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed it is. I said the Q9450 too until I was told of the price change... Seemingly it's the same in the USA too, which is rather odd.
    Interestingly enough newegg are out of the Q9450s at present - just out of stock, or have they stopped selling them I wonder?

9. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I'm on the phone with Newegg as I type this. They are willing to Exchange it, but will charge me 40bucks restocking. What do U think I should do? This is the initial cost
    ASUS P5Q Premium LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard $259.99

Or should I take a chance on just swapping the Brd 4 a new one

10. greensman

greensman Regular member

What about the Deluxe model rick?? It's a proven mobo and I think it's only $199 at present. ;) Just an idea. Sorry to hear that you're having issues with that mobo. :(

....gm

11. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Thanks for the links soph, I didnt remember Opty's were originally meant for server use until you posted those links. The one at zip zoom is in stock. For the price though, I can almost get a decent midrange 775 mobo and CPU, and since theres interest in my CPU in the resale market I'm leaning that direction.
    My cables are currently the same (front panel switch, reset, HDD and power LED's only) as they were when it ran for over an hour. I hook up all USB's, firewires, and audio after the system proves to work.
    I have rechecked power supply, and tested with PC3200 instead of the PC3500 I'd originally used. Also reset CMOS, so, I'm at a loss.
    I'd be OK with it being crap mobo if it wouldnt have given me the hour worth of of working setup time! Now its just irritating!
    P.S.---Does it help if I mention that it was supposed to turn off after pressing the switch for 4 seconds but didnt.

12. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

greensman : I'm going to try and get in touch with ASUS and see if I've got a troubled Brd. If they will know or own up to it, I've been trying 4 a mon to call them. I guess I'm going to have 2 foot the bill on the call, their 800 is still busy signal. Newegg said if I swapped the Brd and the same problem persists, I could turn it back 4 a refund less 40bucks & get something else. So figure I'd put a little time into swapping things around and see. TIME,TIME,TIME, what the hell!!

13. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I've got a timer that I use when calling Long Distance. WOW ! If this ain't the SHITZ. I'M on the phone with ASUS, my dime. 1st U get the operator, takes 3mins,then she transfers U to tech support U get a level 1 tech takes 15mins. He can't help, he transfers U to a level 3 tech. How long does this take another 15 mins., give me a case number & RMA to return the brd.Another 15mins.Do they want to help U NO, Can they help U NO. All this BS just to return the brd for them to check and see if their is a problem. When in fact they could help with a little trouble shooting, right now. I'm going to send this back to Newegg, if the next brd comes with the same problem, then I'm done with ASUS.
    I've put together 5 Computers just this yr all with ASUS 2 AMD, 3 INTEL
    This is my 1st experience getting help frm mfgr. Never again with ASUS, Arrogant AssHoles I think

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2008
  14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Samsung are much the same, but without the waiting time. :p

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

rick5446,
    At least you will get a new, hopefully fully functional one! Some great products, but Asus poor service is legendary! Not throwing rocks or bashing, just stating a well known fact!!

Hang in there Rick, if they want to evaluate the old MB, then it can be as much as a 29 day wait for them to repair it! 21days + ship time both ways! I hope they do give you a new MB! It'll be quicker!

Best Regards,
    Russ

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Rick

You can do an RMA with Asus online. I did one last year. I wish I had the email address but go to their forums and you will find it. I never do RMA's by phone, always look for the web option.

17. greensman

greensman Regular member

That's what I did with my Striker Extreme!! NO hassles and from departure to arrival it was about 2 weeks max. I will say this tho, it took about 10-14 days for a reply once I sent my RMA request in.

I'm looking for the correct website for the RMA process. If anyone has it definitely post it please. lol. I'm much like Sophy in the fact that I can't find it. ROFL... I'm under 40 too!!! :D

.....gm

18. greensman

greensman Regular member

@rick

ASUS support
    (try the trouble shooting section if you dare... :p)

I think you have to register for the forums or somthing. Try that. good luck. :)

....gm

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Hm! Perhaps that's why "you're laughing out loud and rolling on the floor" looking for it????

Sigh!! So are many!! Alas, "I am what I am!" Quoth "Popeye."

FIN? Use the internet, it's cheaper for them, and easier for you.

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I use my cell phone to make non toll free long distance calls. I have a nationwide plan and I never come close to using up all my monthly minutes anyway.

for RMA authorizations, I also do that via email for the few that I have had. for technical support tho I use my cell phone.

rick,

I don't know what probs you are having but have you searched for resolutions in the asus forum? have you tried a bios update? when I first installed the Q9450 in my rampage formula, I was having a problem with my pc rebooting a couple times a day while at idle even tho it passed all stress testing with flying colors.

after reading through the asus forum (under rampage formula) it turns out there was an issue with the Q9450 with LLC (loadline calibration) enabled. all I had to do was disable LLC. asus finally came out with a bios update (0407) that resolved this issue and I can now enable LLC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.