1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Well I'm fortunate then Newegg sent me a Prepaid UPS 2 send the Brd back. They are going to send me a new one, (the same thing though).I'll ship it out Monday, Maddie told me to E-Mail her as soon as it was shipped. She would validate that UPS HAD THE brd 4 Return and ship my new one ASAP.Just got lucky I guess, GOTTA LOVE NEWEGG. If by chance the new Brd has the same problem, they will issue me a refund, less 40bucks restocking charge and let me buy a different Brd.
    If this new Brd has a problem, I'll ship it back and get something different (NOT ASUS Though)frig them A-Holes, they lost my business. Don't know what it might be though, with the help of all hear at AD it took quite a while to find this one with all the bells & whistles,Xtra= 8 USBs, 2PCI 16,ONLY 2 PCI slots though, could've used 3. Now I'm not a Gamer, REPEAT NOT A GAMER. But do a lot of video, & this Q9450 is really fast at Encodeing, Recodeing, Ripping, etc.ConvertX Converts and burns a 1:45 movie in less then 40mins. So I might have to down size a little on the Xtras & use 2 Computers, which is no Biggy 4 me. But anyway thanks 4 all the help and encouragement. Damn I feel good after posting hear. THANKS THANKS
    THANKS
    Forgot got to call Intel Monday my temps are running high, right now as I type this is what I've got
    CPU 41
    CORE 1 48
    2 44
    3 50
    4 47
    CPU Fan 2519 RPMs
    One thing I did find out though Samsung HDD RUN the coolest 33, 35 Against Seagate at 46

2. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

@rick5446

trade it in for a Asus P5Q Deluxe
    $259.99 - restock fee $40.00 = $219.99

$219.99 - $192.99 = $27.00 in your pocket...lol

the deluxe has dropped in price in the last week $7 bucks was $199.00
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131297

and by the way if you decide to get the board start with the start with 0803 bios if you have issues regarding OC's or ram you can
    upgrade to eg 1306 or even 1402...but test 0803 first it's a very good bios...

well..I guess spamual gave you the right directions..let me wipe my shoes off now..lol

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2008
  3. spamual

spamual Guest

4. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Quick Question..The Memory is it supposed to go in the DIMM A1-Yellow & DIMM A2-Black or by the colour code DIMM A1 Yellow & DIMM B1 Yellow

5. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

DIMM A1 Yellow & DIMM B1 Yellow Rick:) or you can say Dimm1 and Dimm3

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2008
  6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

7. spamual

spamual Guest

well when they click it, im sure they can read xD !

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

people don't always read before they do something.

9. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

people don't always read before they do something. A Five STAR Answer if I EVER Heard one. The next best is they Read but don't understand but do it anyway . I went to that BIOS Site D/L-ed one of the Bios, read the gentlemen's text document. Deleted it right away, just thought it might create more problems then its worth
    At ASUS RIGHT NOW Trying to get a little more understanding. I know how 2 put-em together, but don't know how to make them tick
    But in all due honesty I'd rather leave the ticking to the experts and just do what I like & need 2 do with my toys. Ive got a lot of common sense about what I want to do, and sometimes have 2 do. But no desire to get into the fundamentals OC changing volts increasing this & that. If it ain't broke don't fix it (best bit of common sense that I know)
    MY PERSONAL Bad is leave it at standard settings, works well 4 me. I've come from a 66mgz to now. My next jump if their is one is to one of those 1,ooo.oo+ CPUs AND A TOWER THAT TAKES 2 or 3 PSU 2 run everything. I started off with an extremely Lg HDD at the time 7.5 gig pd 200bucks + 4 it now I've got 3 TB with barely 300gig of free space

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2008
  10. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

whenever a person builds their own pc, even if they intend to run at stock settings, there are certain things that do need to be checked and most likely changed in the bios. eg. if using DDR2 1066 memory, you will need to set the memory to this frequency in the bios. the bios will recognize it as DDR2 800 and that's where it will run unless manually changed. the dram voltage and timings also need to be checked and set accordingly to whatever your particular memory is rated at.

rick,

what bios do you have now? the easiest way to find out is with cpu-z under the mainboard tab. what model P5Q do you have.

12. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

Mort i was thinking you told me there was a recent BIOS update 0408 for the asus rampage formula ? and you disabled the LLC ? but I've slept since then lol. BTW I never did OC higher than 3.45GHz I really didn't see a need to after i ran the Sandra benchmarks

13. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

there is a 0408 bios out now also but 0407 is working great. you know the old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

I prefer to have LLC ebabled but I had to disable it with the earlier bios's to keep my pc from rebooting a couple times a day at idle. everything is good with 0407 bios with LLC enabled. it's probably fine with 0408 too.

14. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Mort81
    P5Q Premium Rev1.xx
    ver 0508

15. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

rick,

there appears to be several bios updates for your mobo. actually I didn't even see a 0508 bios for the P5Q premium. the earliest I saw was 0707. the latest is 1306. what OS are you running? and is it 32 or 64 bit?

16. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Mort81 VISTA 32Bit,could not get XP to load. Again I say XP would get to the F8 To Install Screen, then just QUIT

But YA Know I'm kinda gettin used to Vista, except 4 the UAC. I've turned it off, but still need permission. I found a little program called (TAKE OWNERSHIP)which helps
    Search is kinda slow, can't get the Newer Ver of AutoGK to work had to install ver 1.7.3.529
    Also Dr DivX 1.06 won't work Which I really like,it tell me read only files. so I just use 2.0 which I don't really cars 4

17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

ok, let me see what bios updates are available for that mobo and OS.

18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

there are 4 updates. http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us I would start with 0707 and work up if necessary. I personally don't like to try the latest vs 1st because you have to go through the bios or cmos to revert back to an earlier bios. as long as the bios is a latter version you can dl the file and use asus update which is a windows based utility and very easy and simple to use. some prefer saving the bios to a thumb drive or floppy and updating through the bios. regardless, I recommend saving your current bios prior to flashing to a new one.

edit: use that link and plug in your model and OS. you can then DL and save the bios you want to upgrade to.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  19. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

OK I d/l the 0707 now how do I install
    PS I am doing a GOOGLE search on how to just to let u know I'm not a slacker
    Never mind figured it out

20. FireOH

FireOH Member

Hi guys.

I've lurked this site for a while now but have never really had a reason to join. I'm now in the market to either fix my computer or purchase a new one and I wanted to ask your advice. This will be kind of a long post but I wanted to give the most information so you guys can give me the best advice.

Right now I am running a gateway M465E notebook with a 2Ghz dual core processor, 1 Gb RAM, 60 gig hard drive and windows xp pro. This laptop has handled well for me in the last two years but I cracked the casing a while ago, and since then it has begun to fall apart. The right hinge on the screen is completely broken and the left is going to go soon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am having trouble figuring out if it would be best for me to try to salvage the computer and transfer it to a new case(I have no idea how to do that or what it would cost) or to buy a new laptop or desktop.

I am a college student and use my computer mostly for media. I like to have it running without any unnecessary programs or features. I have considered switching to Linux, especially since new computers come with Vista, which seems to come with a ridiculous amount of crap I wont use or want. I know my system well, but not a lot about computers all together, so I am a bit skeptical of my ability to use Linux.

I have about 50 gbs of music that I'd want to keep on my hard drive and an external drive for other media.
    I play console games, so I dont need a gaming computer, but I sometimes demand a lot from my system (running multiple programs like photoshop or premiere as well as some smaller applications)
    I would like to be able to use the computer to watch media in good quality, and I listen to a lot of music, so good sound quality is important.
    I'd like to spend between 400 and 700 dollars (U.S.) and not more than 1000.
    A laptop would be best but if its a very significant increase in performance, I might be willing to get a desktop.

So, can I repair my current computer?
    If I got a new one, what sort of specifications should I look for?

Thanks for any help guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.