1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Well I loaded the new BIOS 0707..The computer seemed to Boot faster. Thanks, I guess the only thing left to do is see if I can install XP & ADD a slave to the secondary IDE

2. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Still can't add a Slave, won't boot
    Something Blah,blah LAN Is Disabled in BIOS should it be inabled
    Still can't load WinXP

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2008
  3. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

I'm looking to get a memory card reader, and I don't know which one of these to get:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820223103
    or
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820192021

Rick: I had the same exact problem installing XP on an old notebook I had. I was never able to figure it out, so I just installed ubuntu.
    If you're not happy with vista, = vlite.net
    And how did you get dr. divx 2 to work on vista? I can't get 1.0.6 or 2 to work...Stuck w/ Handbrake for now...

4. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Anybody here know anything about BenQ drives? I just got my hands on a Model DH16A1P19C, manufactured June 2007. Is it any good? I've heard some people here talk about BenQ from time to time, so I figured I would ask here and see what I got!

Thanks,
    Russ

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Any more info on the drive ?, if i recall correctly, the last i heard was that Benq drives were Lite-on rebadges these days

edit- a bit of googling shows my mind is going (ie like HAL), and what i should have said was that Philips were making Benq drives nowadays

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

creaky,
    Aside from the Model # and the Ser. #, it says Phillips & BenQ Digital Storage corporation on it!

I guess I'll put it an mine and test it out to see how good the scans are.

Thanks for the info,
    Russ

8. creaky

Cool, keep us posted. I'm very rusty on optical drives as my 5 Benq DW-1650's (the holy grail of burners around here!) are still going strong, and the only others i've bought since then are LG drives, ie i don't keep up with the latest info on opticals nowadays. I'll wager that GM or Loco probably know a bit about your drive..

i'm just reading thru this one - http://club.cdfreaks.com/f92/benq-dvd-writer-vanishing-192997/

9. pernal

pernal Regular member

10. creaky

11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

hey mrk44 i got the rosewill rcr-102 52-1 card reader a few months back and havent had a problem out of it here is a link at it from newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820223073

the only thing i had to install it twice to get it right. it wouldnt let me use my other usb ports until i did it a second time.... other than that it works great now.

12. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

Russ yes there are great drives one of the best brands ever made other than the older model Plextors.Phillips made them and they are NO long around

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Spamual solution to everyting is the latest BIOS. The worst possible solution to give to any old joe is to tell them to get the latest BIOS - getting that wrong has unimaginable consequences.

Theone: BenQ were hands down the lowest quality manufacturer of optical drives when they started, but they seem to have improved over time. I'm still never using them due to the appalling crap they sold me many years back, but nowadays there are so many alternatives there's no need to try again.

14. creaky

Updating the BIOS on my MSI board toasted it, luckily i was able to RMA it, there was no way i was/or indeed am going to try updating it again. That taught me a lesson anyway, i didn't need to update nor did i need anything the update offered.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

And there you have it. Most of the P5N-E SLI BIOSes bricked the board - regardless of how much that board sucked, it can't possibly be alone in that department. I flashed my BIOS assuming I genuinely needed to - turns out it doesn't look like I did. Check the patchlogs for most BIOS releases, they do bupkis. it's all correcting spelling errors in the BIOS and adding support for more memory and CPU types. In short, if there's no problem, there's no need to flash the BIOS. Flashing the CMOS isn't just like updating a graphics driver, it can have serious consequences in today's surface-mounted CMOS age.

16. spamual

spamual Guest

latest BIOS's for me have even given me now clocking increments, and new overclocking categories.

for me personally, i always update tot eh newest bios, and from within vista aswell. never had a problem. might not be the result of every person, but im just giving my personal account on all of this.

17. creaky

For most of my years in computers (lots), for the most part i've been an update-to-the-latest software/driver/firmware/BIOS (including graphics card BIOSes). However sometimes caution/common sense has to be used. Even at work we would analyse the changelogs for firmware and software updates for our Enterprise servers/storage, and even though support contracts sometimes dictate that you have to be latest & greatest, we would sometimes decree that the supposed updates don't actually buy us anything. For example some of our storage had been up and online for upwards of a year, ie 100% stability, we would have to weigh that against updates that a manufacturer would try to force us to use, which loses us downtime for the actual updating, plus we would have to risk any negatives that updating can bring. I've seen it happen enough times, and sometimes where i'm the only one accountable for the outcome (with a manufacturer via phone or onsite if you're lucky!). Great for your rep when it goes well, not nice dealing with hours of downtime when it doesn't :)

18. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

cincyrob:
    I saw that Rosewill on newegg. The only thing I'm skeptical about is the SDHC support. Some reviews said it works, other said it doesn't. Rosewill itself, as a response to a review, said that it doesn't support SDHC :(
    This bytec supports SDHC, and it apparently only shows up as one drive letter, and not one letter for each slot like every other card reader i've seen.
    Can you tell me if the Rosewill shows up as more than 1 drive letter? If it doesn't, I can take a chance and try SDHC on it.

Thanks,
    MurKy

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

mrk44,
    The best card reader I've seen to date was on a fairly new HP Slimline. No icons at all until you plug in a card, then it pops up on the screen. You can put in more than one type of card at the same time too, it just adds another drive letter! When you remove the cards, no more extra drive letters all the time! I like that!

Russ

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

All you Vista naysayers. You all say Vista uses wayy to much Ram? It's there to be used. This is what it does with that Ram. Vista is at a point where general use computing and even gaming is faster on Vista then on XP.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.