The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

- not for all those grandparents and other unfortunate non-techie users it won't be. For example my G/F bought here dad a brand new laptop with Vista, it needed an extra Gig of RAM before he could even use it. In this instance it wasn't down to me to either put XP on instead, or tweak Vista, so a Gig of RAM it had to be.. and that's before the machine had anything other than Vista itself installed.

Perfect example re the RAM bloat - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/96940/532718

As to Superfetch, i see it's just caching/virtual memory really, except you can have it assigned to a.n.other drive ie a USB drive.
    Great.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I'm pleased to say the BenQ DH-16A1P has now become a Lite-On LH-16A1P. My first scan at 8x on an 8x burn yielded 23,679 pi errors and 86 pi failures and gave me a 95 quality score!

Very good drive, quiet with no vibrations. Seems to be all that was promised if the Cross-Flash and Flash worked. It did, It is as good as promised!

My thanks to GM for walking me through all of that! Thanks to him, I got this!

[​IMG]

Thanks again all,
    Russ

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

My Last computer had 4GB of RAM in it. I didn't even plan on using Vista, but then I decided to. Ram is so cheap these days.

Yeah, it IS like a cache. But as you can see it's VERY useful. Here check out full results. The fact is that a NEWER OS is running FASTER. How often do you see that?

http://futuremark.yougamers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72298

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

For faster OS'es that make more out of both newer and older machines i prefer to use Linux, and it doesn't matter how little or how much RAM you have :)

But i guess Vista is ok provided people know how to tweak it, or if they don't, that they buy loads of extra RAM.

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I don't really like Linux. I've had some bad experiences even with Ubuntu and Windows works just as well for me.

6. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Is their such a thing as FDD to IDE
    I Looked on Google so I assume the answer is no

7. tripplite

tripplite Guest

on the subject once i retire a PC now i just through a copy of debian on it, im still learning the ropes but the computer in general for spreadsheets and browsing is faster and the 0s is up-to-date:D

[​IMG]
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122
    i got 4 gigs of g/skill the other day (1stick=2gig)

now the ram is giving great performance for the drop dead price of 71$ however i noticed that one side of the ram's heat fins is hotter then the other, i can't imagine this causing that dastardly side effects but i would still like to replace the fins....

any suggested fin replacement??

240pin-ddr2-sdram

thanks!!1
    -tripplite

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

trippy a new set of "fins" or "heatsinks" won't do you a bit of good as they are all about the same. You'd be better served to get RAM specific fans. ;)

something like this

....gm

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yes it shows up as multiple drive letters..

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

We'll see when the next Vista vs XP-Pro shootout comes along, because so far everyone they've had has been won handily by XP-Pro! Right now vista is still doing it with smoke, mirrors and always twice the memory that XP needs! To my mind it's criminal that some Vista machines are sold with as little as a single stick of 128GB Ram "to make your programs run faster"! ROFLMSOAO! That was an HP, BTW! I did laugh at that one! LOL!!

Respectfully,
    Russ

11. spamual

spamual Guest

I WISH I WISH I WISH we had single sticks of 128GB RAM. if only... :(

:D :p

haha

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Oh yeah, crysis loads in 9s not 30, but windows takes 9 minutes to load rather than three, or 40 seconds for XP One does wonder. Also, I very nearly ran out of RAM even at 4GB. Who's to say I won't very soon? That's poor, as even with 700MB of it unusable due to using 32-bit, I have never come close to running out of RAM in XP. I'm sorry but an OS using 2GB of RAM at idle and taking four minutes to load on what is frankly, a near top-spec machine is unacceptable, when both those results are 5 times better on XP, an OS that does everything Vista does. (DirectX10? Wortheless. Fancy UI? Use StyleXP or the Royale theme, heck even windowblinds. The only use it has is enabling quad crossfire or triple SLi, and honestly, seeing how that scales, it too teeters on the edge of the worthless bin, as you need a poxy nforce board or skulltrail for the SLi, and quad crossfire just doesn't work on most games)

13. spamual

spamual Guest

umm vista loads up quicker then xp....

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

spamual,
    Umm, That's BS, so you just made the flowers grow! ROFLMSOAO!! I've yet to see a vista machine that took less than 4 minutes to load! And that includes on a 64x2 6000+ with 4GB of Ram (2x2)! It's a long ways from loaded when it makes that little musical ding dong sound, ya know? It ain't done until the hard drive light stops dancing! LOL!! You'll still have to wait to open anything before then anyway!

Respectfully,
    Russ

15. spamual

spamual Guest

umm lol 4mins....were they using 40gb ide drives???

ill do a test of mine from after the bios till vista loads.

infact some ssds are loading vista under 30s

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

spamual,
    Actually it was an eMachine T5330 with the 64x2 6000+ in it replacing the stock 64x2 4400+, and 2x2 GB of Ram, and Vista Ultimate. The hard drive is a Sata 3.0gB/s 250GB Hitachi DeathStar w/8MB cache. 4 min, 17 sec till the drive light stopped flashing all over the place. The desktop is up, but whatever you try to open won't open until the hard drive finishes loading everything. I know, I tried to open several things thinking that it just didn't work and all of a sudden all of them opened one at a time. I thought the damn thing was broke. I've done a lot of Vista conversions, and I've yet to see where Vista outperformed anything! The Public Genuinely hate it! Even though some have the progys to strip out a lot of the BS that Vista makes you put up with. Everyone of them has been more than happy with XP-Pro SP3! I can't afford the cost of SSDs!

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. spamual

spamual Guest

the public hate it becuase of the crap they heard about it. it happens every OS launch, and also for other things it happens aswell, where alot of people here a little crap about something, then they, not trying it also claim it, and spread it, and soon, its a snowball effect.

honestly, how much crap was loaded into the machine that it took 4 mins. my vista installtion doesnt take anywhere near this.

something must have gone wrong russ, very wrong.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

spamual,
    It's as it came from the factory except for the new CPU and 4GB of memory. He bought the memory because he thought it would speed it up and he upped the CPU for the same reason. Now he's happy, where before he wasn't! Who am I to argue?

Best Regards,
    Russ

19. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I was just getting used to Vista, till I had 2 tear down the Computer 2 send my P5Q Brd back. I had 9,500Gig HDD + 1 250 AS The main HDD with the Vista on it. I did not actually time it, but it did boot fast. Now I did notice sometimes it took longer 2 load a program. Sometimes Firefox would just pop-up, other times it would take 30 40 sec. VLC the same way. I do find the search engine to be extremely slow. But its more thorough. If U got crap in the recycle bin, well if U use Vista ya know what I mean
    Now I'm not an Overclock er, or a Tweaker. The last Tweaking I did caused me to do a complete re-imstall. So I quit that BS

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2008
  20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It was an HD753LJ, your favourite 'fastest 7200rpm drive'.
    This was MY install of vista, I timed it, a clean install. Hard disk was full for the most part, but was defragmented.

And I'm going to ignore any flak I take for the HDD being full up, as I booted XP off my raptor with only 10% free space once, it only upped the boot time from 50 seconds to a minute.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.