1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Is their that much of a difference between 32 & 64 for either XP or Vista

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

XP 32-bit works well. Vista 32-bit works, ish. Vista 64-bit also works ok for the most part XP 64-bit is trash.

3. spamual

spamual Guest

but sam, raptors have a much quicker rpm....

you full HDD WILL be the effect of that no doubt.

ill show you a vista boot up with a clean install when i get my build done. (hopefully with a samsung F1 320GB single platter disk)

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

They do, which makes them load an OS in around 70% of the time. 70% of 4 minutes is 2.8 minutes. If I can load windows XP on a fresh install in 50 seconds, Where have the other 2 minutes gone? (I booted XP off a WD2500AAJS on a clean install a while back and it took about 90 seconds - I'd wager the 753LJ is faster than the 2500AAJS).

The final nail in the coffin is that a Sempron 64-bit 3600+ with 1GB of RAM takes longer to load Vista, than a Celeron M360 1.4Ghz with 256MB takes to load XP (525 seconds versus 380 seconds)
    The Vista laptop even has an instant BIOS, so has a good 5-10 second advantage on the XP one...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  5. spamual

spamual Guest

im not talking about bios boot included as that differs vastly for each computer, but from when vista starts loading till when you can start opening firefox etc.

Vista uses more resources... its universally know, why try and boot it with 1GB?

2GB as the standard when vista came out, same as 256 was when XP came out

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ah well, I'm counting not just the BIOS boot, but until the OS has finished booting up, not from when you're able to start clicking. With multi core processors, you can start opening programs long before the OS has finished loading - the side-effect is that they still take ages to open at that stage as the HDD is busy loading everything else.

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Ok, so Vista might not run well with less resources, but WHEN you have a GOOD computer with 4GB of RAM in it already it works FASTER than XP Pro. This is a fact. I encourage anyone with a CLEAN HDD to go try it out ;)

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's not faster than XP, nor will it ever be. Due to what Vista has to load, that's a technical impossibility. It's faster to shutdown on a powerful system, and it's faster to open programs when prefetch is enabled, but that has the downside of increasing the already high bootup time. There's no free lunch, not just with Vista, that applies to any OS.

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah, it's prefetch that makes it faster. It works so damn well though. I can turn on my computer, get some water and it's all booted up. Then whenever I want to open up programs later on they open fast.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'd imagine it would conflict with me though, I only have 4GB of RAM, and since I max out games, I would probably run out. Vista 64-bit for me used 1.6-2.1GB at idle, and I got it up to 3.5GB in a game, which is pretty close.

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You dont realize how it works then. It keeps these programs in memory so you can start them up pretty fast. But if you start to run out of memory from active programs then it takes out those prefetch programs from memory and "gives it back to you" in a way.

You don't actually start running out of ram due to prefetch.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Makes more sense. But if games don't fit in memory then surely you can see it has little purpose. I don't really give a damn if firefox takes 1 second to open instead of 2, neither do I care much about very small games loading fractionally faster. It's the big games that matter, and the big games that cause problems. On top of that, a minute extra bootup time versus 20 seconds less for loading a game doesn't really suit me either.

13. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

spamual, 2gig was not the standard when vista came out as a customer of mine got a new dell laptop in the spring of 2007 with 512 megs of ram. talk about slow as molasses so told her to get at least another gig of ram which she did & i installed it. latop lasted another week or 2 before the hd crapped out & had to be rma'd.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ouch, unlucky!

15. spamual

spamual Guest

when did it come out, january 2007?

im pretty sure 2x1GB sticks were the norm back then

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not for laptops.

17. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

she was on the phone with me to find out what to do & where the phone is from the laptop was about 20+ ft. i can hear the high pitched whining noise from the drive thru the phone.

spamual, not even towers were standard with 2 gig.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

2x1GB in my PC at the beginning of 2007 was considered excellent, you'd never have seen standard systems with that back then.

19. spamual

spamual Guest

4gb is a standard now is it not?

sorry if you meant laptops, i was talking about desktops.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

LOL - you're joking right?
    Not for anything other than gaming PCs....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.