1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

mrk

It's doubtful that all four sensor are gone and you only need one to monitor CPU temps. The sensor has nothing to do with the quality of the processor because if it did I would've returned mine months ago. Also a stuck senors always errs on the cool side not the hot so it is likely that the sensors showing the most heat are working.

In your test core sensor test cores 0,1,2 seemed pretty close to each other which suggest that some of the variances could be an improperly seated heat sink. Are you using thermal paste and if so can you name it?

3. greensman

greensman Regular member

Not yet. ;) I've been looking at that cooler for a while Sammy but I can't justify the expense at this time. If I ever get this silly Q6600 rig up and running it might be a consideration depending on the mobo I go with. IIRC Marsey99 has that cooler. From the looks of it, the thing is a beast and should do some extraordinary cooling. :D

....gm

4. 21122112

21122112 Member

Hello guys. new to this forum here. ive been lurking and reading. alot of good info here...im doing a build of my own right now. i was wondering which CPU would be the best bet to get. the Q6600 or the E8400. ive read difference of opinions on other threads. some point to the Q6600 and some to the E8400. Any recomendations would be helpfull.
    oh by the way. i have most my parts now as it is. i mostly still need a CPU PSU and a case.
    i have the ASUS P5Q Premium mobo.
    G-Skill4gb (2x2gb) kit.
    ASUS GeForce GTX 260 GPU
    2 x 500gb segate Hard drives

5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

Myself i would get the Q9450. sounds like your building a pretty nice rig. but out of the 2 you mention'd i'd get the Q6600.

man there sure is alot of copy cat stuff going on in here. not a original thought amungst us.....lol

the dark knight was a good movie.. but i still prefer Jack as the Joker....

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I hope you dont have that GTX 260. A Radeon 4850 is the same performance, and for the price of the GTX 260 you could have gotten two!

MRK, hell do both. Seems like you just have bad luck with that cooler. Plus stuck sensors would bother me. IDK, if I were you I wold just mail my CPU to Intel and get a new one and return the Xigmartek and get a TRUE.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  7. greensman

greensman Regular member

Like RedRod said I'd go with the Q6600 of the two you choose but what are you gonna do with the computer?? You gonna play games with it?? Seems so with the GPU you have. ;) If that's the case then the E8400 or Q9450 might be the better choice.... I'm NOT a gamer so Sammy or Boozer might better answer that part of the question for you. ;)

psu's 701-800

psu's 601-700

cooler master cases (reasonably priced)

NZXT Tempest

Antec cases
    (low and high priced)

The choices that I gave you are something to consider for your build. You're going with higher end parts and will need some power, especially if you ever decide to go SLi! I like modular psu's but it's really personal preference and if you're willing to spend the extra money for it. As always shop around and see what you can come up with. There's buy.com, ZZF, and TigerDirect besides the EGG links that I gave you. good luck with your shopping.. ;)

hth....

.....gm

8. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

on the psu either of these are fine..my co-worker cincyrob has the corsair 650tx and it's working great for him..but if you wanna spend alittle extra money the corair 620hx nice cause it's setup let's use connections you only need..

here's the link to the psu..:)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...mpareItemList=N82E16817139002,N82E16817139005

now the case that's your choice but..i know want one..i like the best myself in brand..

9. 21122112

21122112 Member

i plan on playing some mid-high level games, also makeing my own DVD's.

as for my GPU. it was given to my by a friend for some work i did on his house.

are you 2 gay? seems like a love affair going on???

i dont know what that mean?

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

LOL

Did you SERIOUSLY call them gay? WOW man, you're smart. You sure spotted it!(sarcasm)

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If the 260 was given to you then it doesn't matter, we only raise the concern because the radeons are significantly bettr value.

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Which one to get really depends on the types of applications that you will be using them for, and if you're going to overclock. If you are expecting to use a fair number of multithreaded applications that will make use of all 4 cores then a quad core would be best. But if you're mostly going to use dual threaded applications or single threaded applications then a faster clocked dual core will prove faster. The best thing to do is answer those basic questions yourself then consider where best to put your money.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If you do stuff like DVD encoding, folding, video editing etc, a Quad core, hands down. if you're a normal user or maybe a gamer then the dual cores currently make more sense. In this instance though, you have to weigh up how long before you upgrade again. Sooner or later Quad cores will become relevant. The E8400 at stock is up to about 30% faster in single/dual core environments than the Q6600. If you overclock that gap remains at least 20%. As soon as you use one quad core-supported program though, the stock Q6600 will beat a heavily overclocked E8400 hands down. Is that likely to happen before you upgrade your CPU?

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Not with Cinema Craft Encoder and DVDrebuilder, a fast dual core such as an overclocked E8400 will walk over the Q6600 even overclocked. A dual core will be faster for prepare, encode, and rebuild. Now if intend to run RB with HC encoder using multicore processing a quad core will win.

15. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

i'm done with suggestions to rookie's your on your own..they don't seem to pick the right parts anyway then cry about it went don't work right ( and co-worker means work at the same job) not gay..

16. 21122112

21122112 Member

I have never done the overclocking thing. so i dont know if i would do it or not. From what i have found there isnt a lot of Quad related programs out now. is this true? I plan on keeping this new computer for awhile. so unless i have problems i dont see any upgrades in the near future.

I wasnt trying to be mean or anything. it just seems weird to me thats all.

i havent tried any of that as of yet. when i said i make my own dvd's i meant i make copies of the dvd's i purchase. I use dvdshrink and dvdfabplatinum.

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

If you plan on keeping it for a while then get a Q9450.

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I don't use DVD Fab Platinum but I think that it might be faster with a quad core but DVD Shrink should come out ahead on a dual core. I gave up using transcoders years ago, but I occasionally use DVD Shrink for my wife's backups.:p

It's as simple as this. If you have need of a quad core for any quad threaded application it will do the work the fastest on those applications, but on dual threaded applications the E8400's higher clock speed is going to triumph.

19. 21122112

21122112 Member

Come on man theres no need to get mad. I didnt mean it in a bad way. All im saying is there is some obsession with you and that guy thats all. Its just my observasion. Everything you 2 do is all most the same things. Just how i see it. I'm sorry. Plus i dont understand the foreign language you speak. It is hard for me to understand alot of what it is your saying....

I'm not here to get into a shouting match with anyone. I know when to bow out

20. 21122112

21122112 Member

Thank you very much. The E8400 is the way i will go. Thank you for your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.