1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Thanks 4 the info, it states it does not support Bitsetting. But I'm wondering! It states its a LITE-ON, do U think one of the LITE-ON Firmwares would work, if yes which one

2. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

greensman may correct if..I'm wrong but..I believe you can flash that drive to a liteon LH-16A1S that with lastest Firmware vCL04 if so the lastest update was aug 1, 2007 last firmware update done for that..i believe..

heres a link on what..I've seen
    liteon LH-16A1S

another site Liteon Drives
    someone else may point you somewhere else That maybe the Pro Of Flashing Drives The Greensman...lol

Good Luck Rick

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2008
  3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I know you can't pay for that until October 13th - prices could very well change in that time.

(Oh by the way, if you're using an SSD, you're not allowed to show me how fast Vista boots, because I know it will run fast off an SSD!)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  4. spamual

spamual Guest

HAHA...

ill dual boot it withthe F1 320GB, (and then delete that OS once our tests are complete :D), so we can see the difference. if its not a good % faster with the SSD, i think ill return the SSD and get some speakers and a sound card.

and i should be picking up the GPU block AND 4870 for about £200 all together giving me another £50 to play with.

not to forget ill be getting the components form K-Force, and w/c from chilled PC. so more savings.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2008
  5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I was under the impression that SSD had a limited lifetime/amount of writes ?
    I'd probably wear one out in a week or so

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

They do, so they don't last long in a typical windows environment without use of a RAID card - though I'm not entirely sure why that helps, I've been told it does.

7. creaky

LOL - RAID over SSD cards, LMAO now i've heard everything :)

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Fair does, I forget where I heard that now... :S Who knows, I could have imagined it! haha

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

rick don't use the f/w that Will recommended.

I'm looking right now and I'm 99.9% sure that drive is a 1673 model and you can upgrade that to a 1693. ;)

....gm

add:

link at CDF

link at VH
    (just says it's a mediatek chipset)

10. spamual

spamual Guest

i wont be pagefiling on it, prolonging the drive.

11. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

So far I can't find any references to the TEAC DV-W516GB to Lite-On at codeguys. HOLLER at me ifin anybody comes up with sumtin, everybody here is ACES

12. creaky

13. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

creaky: Yes I read that, but if at all possible to convert it to a Lite-On. Would that not fix that problem & allow bitset to DVD RW & DVD R

14. creaky

Still looking..
    It seems the TEAC is an OEM of the LiteON SOHW-1673S. I'm googling as i haven't looked much into burner firmware for a year or more likely a couple of years; looking at this link now - http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=14103 which it turns out is the same link ddp posted at bottom of previous page.

edit- so far it doesn't look good - http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=14103&PageId=16 though i'm now looking at whether crossflashing to a LiteON SOHW-1673S magically allows it to bitset.

edit- still not sure how easy it is to crossflash to a 1673S but it seems booktyping of +R discs is possible on a 1673S - http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/liteon-booktype-tool-not-working-imation-sohw-1673s-rebadge-140945/
    ..you can use DVD Decrypter and version 1.35 of the LiteOn booktype tool

15. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

THANKS A LOT creaky, as I have no idea as to what I'm looking at or for.
    The bright side is! I got it 4 free and it does burn good. If push comes to shove, Ill just have to remember not to burn DVD+.
    What I don't understand is DVD+ were the 1st DVDs, you would think all burners would bitset to eliminate any problems the average Mom & Pop might have,anybody would assume they have a bad DVD if it won't play, burn another then think they did something wrong as it won't play either. Most likely quit burning, figuring they have a bunch of crap, or just don't have the know how,and never buy again. A lot of lost sales.
    Myself I don't care if +s are supposed to be superior, I just don't like the compatibility issue. I will continue to use -s as long as I'm alive..By the way that won't be 4 much longer either. I'm 62 and if I live to be a 100, that's a short time in my eyes ANYWAY THANK 4 all the effort

16. creaky

LOL good stuff :)
    I'm no expert but my understanding is that it's only older dvd players that (might) have issues recognising +R discs that haven't been booktyped ie i believe it's a non-issue where newer players are concerned.
    I burn -R and +R equally but have always booktyped mine and therefore haven't ever had issues playing +R discs on old players, or on old xboxes even..

edit- you're the same age as my folks and they barely tell the difference between cd's and dvd's :p

17. greensman

greensman Regular member

Did I post this link?? lol. I've been busy running around with my head cut off and may not have posted this. ;)

link to CDF and Teac drive

rick I'm pretty sure that you can "flash" that drive to a Lite-On 1673S and then to the 1693S. This may need to be done on another thread like the blank media thread in my sig or even by PM as not to take up any more room in the building thread. ;)

....gm

18. creaky

I think you did post it GM.
    Good idea, if we keep talking burners the graphics card pervs will be moaning at us :) :)
    I like burners but i can't stomach graphics card talk LOL

19. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Thats not true their are still some Players that don;t read them. I have a Philips Surround Sound DivX Player that just recently lost the ability to read +s. Everything else played fine, Philips replaced it free of charge. I've discovered the cheaper the Player ($) the more compatible it is to all DVDs. The higher end ones are the problematic Arsses

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Sony is the proprietor of DVD+R and over the years guess who their closes ally has been? If you've guessed Philips then you are right. The DVD consortium decided that DVD-R should be the format best suited for DVD playback and Sony in their usual fashion chose to go off on their own with DVD+R. Today that is no longer an issue since most players will play DVD+R burns but to be safe one should book-type to DVD-R. If you happen to be burning with Nero than anything could go wrong since they've taken on the Microsoft bigger is better motto and forgot the purpose of a good burner. My advice drop Nero and choose imgburn and if it's not Nero that your burning with then you might have media issues, but DVD+R should play on recent Philips players with or without DVD-R book-typing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.