1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i dont think one can move Bluetooth, IF it was, then it might be intergrated INTO the mobo

2. Evastar

Evastar Regular member

Hi, my son is looking for a new pc because he says he won't be able to play Warhammer on Line on ours when it comes out in September.

I had sort of promised him one anyway this year so I don't really mind.

But I haven't got a clue what to get? Basically I'm looking for something that's good for gaming but doesn't cost an absolute fortune, and that I'll be able to upgrade in the future without having to buy a whole new pc again.

Thanks.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What's your budget?

4. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

also, where you u situated in the world (country wise)

5. Evastar

Evastar Regular member

Well i'm in ireland, so i suppose about 1500 euro, what's that in dollars, 2000? But i don't want to pay for flash, i want the money to go on good parts.

Having said that, i promised my mum she could have this pc, so i need a new screen and everything.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Evastar

What is the makeup of your current PC such as individual parts.? Just curious!

7. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

8. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

in others words we need to know the Specs on the parts you have on your corrent system motherboard type,processor,memory,hard drive or drives,graphic card,computer case the whole nine yards..so we can help you from there and try to steer you in the right direction on the stuff you my need..Thanks::)

9. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Has anybody asked this lady if she or her son know anything about putting a pc together.

10. Evastar

Evastar Regular member

I've already been told my current computer won't do and i can't upgrade it. It's a dell, got it in 2005, but it's pretty crap really.

So forget about my current computer, i just want a totally new one! Apparently Warhammer on line will require a 3 gig processor and a good graphics card. They haven't released the exact specs yet. So what i'm looking for is something that will run Warhammer on line and any new games coming out in the next year or so, with the capability to upgrade in the future. That's not too expensive. :)

11. Evastar

Evastar Regular member

Nope, i haven't got a clue, but a friend of my son's does and he said he'll do it for me. Or else can i not just get something built from komplett once i know the specs i want?

12. FredBun

FredBun Active member

OK, let me you ask myself, all these guys here will help you in any way they can in putting a pc together, these people are pro's, but do you or your son have the knowledge to do that, cause if you do you came to the right place.

13. FredBun

FredBun Active member

OK, I replied before I read your last, well great if you have somebody that can help you with it thats great, I guess you supply the cash, your friend will supply the work, and the guys here will supply you with all the knowledge, good luck.

14. Evastar

Evastar Regular member

Hi shaffaff,

The processor has to be at least 3ghz, apparently dual or quad core 2.4 won't do, something to do with the way the game runs. So he keeps insisting anyway.

So maybe dual core 6600 3 ghz instead? Or is it possible to go quad core 6600 3 ghz, i suppose that's really expensive?

15. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

is that located in ireland..?:)

evastar wrote:The processor has to be at least 3ghz, apparently dual or quad core 2.4 won't do, something to do with the way the game runs. So he keeps insisting anyway.

So maybe dual core 6600 3 ghz instead? Or is it possible to go quad core 6600 3 ghz, i suppose that's really expensive?

@Evastar

there's to type's core 2 Duo's cpu are sett at factory specs out the box the E8400 45nm at 3.0Ghz and the E8500 45nm at 3.16Ghz either or ..I believe that can handle it.

price on the E8400
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=344772

price on the E8500
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=344771

on the matter of the E8500 it's your choice but that will be my nexts choice my nexts build to O'c to 4.5Ghz..or more to hold stable but the E8400 will do you fine for the Price..:)

the E8500 Oc'd from a Friend
    http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=368004

the E8400 Oc'd same Guy..Tested Stable both
    http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=337268
    Both on Asus Boards..there you go Mort..lol

@Mort

I do agree with you on the memory choice goin with the 1066..if her son don't run alot of programs at the same time and want to do games and surf the web 2 cores is all they need..

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2008
  16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

a core 2 quad Q6600 2.4ghz or even a core 2 duo E6600 2.4ghz will eat a P4 3.4ghz alive. you might want to consider a core 2 duo E8400 3.0ghz but I would use DDR2 1066 memory instead of DDR2 800.

17. Evastar

Evastar Regular member

He really wants a dual core 3.0 ghz 'cos he heard there was some issue with the game not being able to run on both so he needs the 3 ghz on each?

I would prefer more memory, hadn't looked that far yet.

This new radeon graphics card, does anyone know much about it yet? It was only released fairly recently wasn't it?

18. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

sorry i specced that before evastar told me.

ok well i assume your sons freinds wotn overclock the Q6600, if not, then it'll be much better to get the E8400, the E8500 isnt worth the extra €75 for .16 GHz extra.

and if one is not Overclocking then you can get rid of the OCZ Vendetta CPU cooler aswell :) saves you a few bob :)

and yes that sight is for ireland (notice the .ie) :D

4GB memory will be more than enough for a good 3-4 years.

and the ATI Raedon HD 4870 will eat games up, even at the 24" resolution (1920x1200)

19. Evastar

Evastar Regular member

That's great thanks guys.

So you're recommending the ati raedon 4870 512mb graphics card, the E8400 45nm at 3 ghz, DDR2 1066 memory? What else do i need to know? Thanks a million for all this. :)

By the way, what size monitor is the best to go for gaming? We have a 17 inch flat screen at the moment, and i was thinking of going a bit bigger, but not too much at the same time.

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

for no more than what a descent effective aftermarket cpu hsf costs, eg. OCZ Vendetta or Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7, I would definately recommend getting one. the oem cpu hsf's are pure junk especially the ones that come with 45nm cpu's and are just barely sufficient enough to get by at normal load ranges.

Dell makes very good monitors as does samsung. I personally like viewsonic. probably a 20" or 22" widescreen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.