1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Edited: There's a time and a place for comments like that.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  2. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hanns-G aren't too bad, but aren't a particularly high quality brand, their stuff has been known to go wrong on not too few occasions. Never heard of Optiquest, but for that price, that's probably not a good thing.

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

not to change the direction of the topic now.. and im sure ive asked this once before, but i dont remember the answer.

what is the difference between a dual core CPU and a core 2 duo? isnt it the same? just different wording? and price and im sure other things that i dont know of. thats why im asking.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nope, Dual core is the technology. Only the Core 2 Duo is a core 2 duo, but the following are all dual cores:

Core Duo
    Core 2 Duo
    Turion X2
    Athlon64 X2
    Pentium D

7. GregI6

GregI6 Regular member

Oh hai thar.

Back from a long break from AD. Been keeping up with the latest hardware though.

I'll pitch in as much as possible.

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah Dual Core just means it has two cores on the chip. The CPUs Sam listed all have two cores. The Core 2 is a specific kind of dual core.

Oh and yes I CAN get the 30" for 450 dollars.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's astonishing really, how you pull that off. If only you were selling 3008s I'd buy one and ship it internationally. The 3065's not much of an upgrade from my current...
    Could you get in touch with the aD staff to advertise selling those? Some people do want 30" screens round here, harvardguy for example is eyeing one up...

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I don't get that many. Supply is very low. I usually post them on craigslist or ebay and they are gone in about 2 hours so I dont really need to advertise more. If anyone wants one, I suppose they can send me a PM or something?

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Perhaps, but I suggested official channels as I don't know how cosher PM sales are.

12. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

By the looks of it the two Asus ones are the same monitor, but one has speakers. Since they're free, take them! :)

Oh and Asus are better than Acer. Every time!

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Shaffaaf,
    I'm with Mort on this one! Why the love affair with DDR2 800 MHz memory? You can buy 2x1GB Corsair Dominator's for $44 with the MIR. With an E8400 at stock speeds (333 fsb) you can run right at or very near 1066MHz depending on what MB it's on, so I don't agree with choosing 800MHz memory at all! With the 1333MHz fsb of the E8400, your memory bandwidth and throughput will be much better, and it's guaranteed to run at 1066! It's a guranteed 266MHz memory overclock, something you can't guarantee with 800MHz memory!

The Stock Intel coolers are getting cheaper and cheaper, and about all they are good for is setting up the computer at stock speeds, and little else. I wouldn't like depending on one to keep my CPU cool and trouble free. A decent cooler is a must, and the Intel doesn't fit in that catagory!

Respectfully,
    theonejrs

15. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i agree with your russ, but seeing as someone else is building it, i am assumeing no OCing will take place, so i am just saying no point when its only gonna run at 667 MHz. (because i ASSUME everything will be left on stock) and because i assumed stock, and no OCing, i said there was no need for another cooler as the intel ones actually run quiet and cool stock perfectly fine.

if there was clocking involved i wouldnt suggest 800MHz for a chip that can do 4GHz, so thats 9x450 (which would need an OC for the 800)

16. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

1066 will work better 4 sure!! yea somebody playing games somewhere hat'in them Ohio Boys..

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2008
  17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

shaffaaf,
    At stock speed with an E8400 the base fsb is 333MHz, which would give you 667MHz at the lowest multiplier on my MB, 2x. At the same speed but using the 3x multiplier, and it's running right at 1000MHz. That's a very useful 200MHz increase in memory speed of 25% over DDR2 800, and if they ever want to overclock, it's there, at little or no cost over the 800MHz. Right now the 1066 Dominators are less than half the price of the 800MHz Dominators. The difference between the performance of the cas 4 800 vs cas 5 1066 is not enough to overcome the speed advantage of the 1066 memory or the wider bandwidth, even underclocked to 1000MHz. If you have a MB capable of setting the memory independent of the FSB, you can be at the stock speed of 3.0GHz with the memory running at 1066MHz! That's a pretty good 33% improvement in memory speed for less money!

Russ

18. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

Has anyone ever tried to use the intel warranty before to send in a defective product?
    I called them to tell them that my cores are too hot, and it might be defective. Those stubborn jack***es told me that I can only return the processor if ALL the core temperatures were at 71.4C or above ALL THE TIME. They refuse to take it back....

19. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

right but not all opf us are situated in rebate land (aka the USA) some are from more expensive lands, with no rebates where getting PC8500 adds antoher £20/€30.

and IF no one is going to mess with the bios, once more then there is NO need to waste the money.

20. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Cincy had some issue with his E8400 he sent his back to intel in Louisville,Ky Branch 2 hours away from us and they replaced it..get with him on that he know's how to handle that.i remember they tested his old 1 out and re issued and new 1 out..he can tell what to do..and how to go about..

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.