1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I have sent them a CPU in the past. They were nice about it and the process was painless and fast.

Just tell them your CPU quit working, and that you tested it in a working computer but it wont POST so the CPU is at fault. They will replace it right away :)

2. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

I guess I'll PM him about it. There are intel branches??!

LOL. I have to make another case number, and I'll try that.

3. greensman

greensman Regular member

A little update on the Striker Extreme mobo saga... lol. I'm doing a RMA!! Something is definitely knackered/jacked/screwed/messed up with this thing.... lol. What's so strange is the mobo worked so well when I initially fired it up and did some testing with it. I even did a conversion with convertXtoDVD and DVD RB Pro when I was testing the cpu and hardware for speed. ;)

NOW the mobo temps are 15*C higher, the LAN is non-funtional (which it didn't work to begin with...enough for an RMA actually), the cores read 10*C higher and I didn't change a thing. LOL. With out spending any more time with the Striker the only recourse is a RMA in my mind. ;)

So off to the wonderful world of ASUS.... :D wish me luck.... ;)

....gm

@Spammer,
    Sorry buddy.. doesn't look like I'm gonna be able to post any benchies for you with the Striker. ;) btw if they send it back to me with all new hardware and box... it's going on eBay or to one of you lucky lot!! :p I'm getting a frikkin DFI!!!

4. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

mrk44:wrote
    yes

@greensman
    Good luck with that board brother hope it works out right..:)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2008
  5. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

man i glad sammorris gave me the heads up NOT to keep that mobo and insist on the Rampage, its been great so far haven't OC(ed) yet though. good luck GM, you're probably need it lol

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

shaffaaf,
    You're right, and make a valid point! I didn't consider that there's a difference between Sales Tax here and VAT over there! I didn't know there's no rebates there! Is that a law or something as Corsair's is a rebate direct through Corsair?

Russ

7. Evastar

Evastar Regular member

Thanks for all the advice guys, i'll let you know what i go for in the end! :)

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Zoso, I dont know man. I think that was all me ;)

JK

9. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

cheers for seeing my point. no its illeagal to rebate in the UK, not sure abotu EU, but i havent seen any so id assume so.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It is illegal, and personally, I'm all for that. We already have enough companies investing our money on the stock market when we pay in cheques.

For reference, at 1:1 pricing, imagine a product (RAM for example) that costs $60 with $20 rebates to get it to $40. However, if your state has for example a 5% sales tax, you might pay $43, or £21.84.
    In this country, there are no rebates, so $60, then take the exchange rate to make £30.48, add 17.5% VAT to get £35.81. Then consider that you will get delivery for three or four dollars on an item that small (if it isn't free). You're looking at £24 worth, tops. In the UK, delivery is typically around £5 minimum, so we end up paying £41 - we do get it next day though.

The price of the actual item has been left the same, but look - we're paying 60% more.

11. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Russ another words is what your saying there cpu would cost them a arm in and leg over there just because of there taxes..sales tax in Ohio is 6% on a $1..rebates should be given on parts that offer them right? no matter where you live.the companies give money so you will come back to buy that's how they make there money..

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Rebates are illegal in the UK Rob, so are never offered.

13. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I'm sure, that if they are illegal. Distributors have found a way around that, with some sort of incentive. Discounts or credits, etc. etc.

14. salman500

salman500 Member

hello guyz,
    well im a noob to computer component, and i got new idea about compatibility.
    well i basically need a computer that delivers as good perfomance as it can in the budget of around 1700 US$ ...
    i configured a computer at cyberpowerpc.com ... and i posted the specs in another thread here, but i got the response that they were poor and unreliable. so im back to ground zero here.

my major problem is that i live in paksitan, and no site delivers the stuff here, so my uncle is gonna carry out the transaction and send the computer to me, or the components if i cant manage to get a pre-assembled pc, so i have only one go at this.

now i need help with getting the best things here. i want the computer to run crysis and all the top rated games on the best quality, and i want the computer to have good specifications, that i can show off (if i cant find a better way to put it) =P

any kind of help will be appreciated.

Thank you
    Salman

*apologies if i posted this incorrectly, or int he wrong place. =)*

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I responded to your thread. That's certainly a good place to look.

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Whooo PAKISTAN ZINDABAD.

Sorry I have nothing constructive to add.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Does anyone know anything about SMART?
    [​IMG]

18. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Your disk is close to going bye-byes....
    I've never personally experienced SMART predicting a failure, though have seen/dealt with Smart-type equivalent predictive failures on Enterprise-class disks/storage systems at work many times over the years. Basically you need to back it up like yesterday before it bids farewell to this mortal coil on it's way to disk-platter heaven :p

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed, at the grand old age of 3 months. What gets me though is that the attribute should always be 100, and it's not even close, it's 1. Is it right? I'd like to know what variable that is...

20. 21122112

21122112 Member

I will pass on the E8400 and wait and get this. Once it is out.

E8600

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.