1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Not here, just SP2; in fact none of my (many) XP installs have ever been on Windows Updates since day one either. Well two were (by mistake ie i'd forgotten to turn off the update confirmation at XP install stage), a few updates made it on the machines and broke them, very badly. But that's just my take on updates in the Windows world (Linux updating is fine with me though).

edit- sorry my post isn't constructive or much help, i just feel very strongly about Windows Updates :).

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've never really gone beyond SP2 myself, nor used windows update for system drivers, that never really occured to me either... Asking you to install SP3 just sounds like typical M$ behaviour to me.

3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

no under load my temps have been as high as 69-71c under load(occt,orthos,prime95,sandra) but the highest i have seen them when running dvd-rebuilder is 66c

oh i know if i go with the nehalem i will need basicly everything. thats when tax time rolls around and i will have some spare change to get it all again. once ya get into the new stuff when it comes out we all know it will be way more than it will be 6 months down the road. so im in no hurry to eventhink of the new stuff until maybe this time next year maybe a little sooner but im in no hurry.

thats a good question. is there any info out as to what types of boards will handle the Nehalem?or required, and what kinda of mem is needed? DDR3???

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Being a glutton for punishment I installed it just to see if it would beak my operating system, and it worked without issue. Then alter when I swapped out motherboards I did a clean install, went into updates, the updates recommended that I install SP3 first. When I did that and then returned to the updates none of the following updates would work. So I uninstalled SP3 and then did my updates manually, and removed SP3 from the selection. I installed all the other updates first and then SP3 last and everything has been working fine since.

I then decided to try it one of my other rigs so I reformatted and reinstalled XP and went to updates. Again it recommended SP3 right away, and again after SP3 was installed none of the other updates would successfully install. I removed SP3 again and installed all the other updates just as I had on my other rig, and then like the other rig I installed all the other updates, and now it too works fine. A requirement of the scientific methods is the need to be able to replicate an experiment and I did that at twice, more would be better but twice shows a trend.

Take that Rob!!

[​IMG]

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You will need a X58 motherboard and DDR3 Ram.

6. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

Mort hope you like the Q9450 , we can compare notes man

I haven't OC(ed) yet

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Doesn't SP3 include all the updates that preceded it? or are there still yet more updates after SP3 came out?

8. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i think its just like SP2 they still update after it came out. mostly secruity updates,malicious spyware removeal ect..
    just dont make sense if ya install SP3 then it wont install the new updates???

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Very snazzy... I don't think I've seen the heatpipe go the other way round the CPU before. Hardly a revolution, but it's a good example of DFI's forward-thinking approach. I like the side-on S-ATA connectors, but if you look, there's a slot for 2 more they haven't included. Is this the midrange model?

11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

here i just found it at newegg. id say yes mid range.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136050

here is a link for its recomended Mem.. seems it likes the G-Skill mem
    http://us.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_pro...E=MB&CATEGORY_TYPE=LP&SITE=US&PRODUCT_ID=6055

heres some mem it likes..lol
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...mpareItemList=N82E16820231144,N82E16820231166

is it me or this memory just comeing down in price? like they are giving it away.

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It did contain all of the updates and fixes (or at least it should have) since service pack 2, but there has been numerous updates since service pack 3.

To repeat myself:

When I went for updates I used Microsoft's auto update feature (service pack 2 was already installed), and it listed service pack 3 along with a few other updates, but suggested service pack 3 first. When I completed the service pack 3 install I once again hit update and it listed several files that needed updating, but none of them would take with service pack 3 installed. Capiche?

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Should be a good combination. It may be old but my mate's 939 DFI board works very well with G-Skill memory, so I don't see why that would have changed. Will be nice to hear about something other than Asus or Gigabyte for once! :)

14. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Ive GOT This mobo (ASUS CROSSHAIR)when I first turneD it on it worked. Turned it off and it would not power back up, checked the manual and found on board Power-on switch, it started OK. Turned it off again, and now can't even get on board switch to work. Does this sound like a board problem or what

15. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

rick,

do any fans or lights come on?

16. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Found a power switch (not the PSU)on the back and it started it OK, guess it had nothing 2 do with the on board switches. So let me experiment a bit turn it on & off a few times and see

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    I've been using SP-3 since it became the so called final version by M$ and months before it's official release. I've experienced no problems with it at all. It seems to make the computer do things a bit faster. Just don't put it in an AMD as their are all sorts of problems, if you do.

cincyrob,
    I think either MB would do fine. So far the reports indicate that the EP45-DS3R overclocks just as well as the P5Q, but then it hasn't been out as long, but we'll know in due time! Pick the one you want! Besides, we already have a couple of D5Qs so an EP45-DS3R would be useful for the comparison alone!

Russ

18. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

mort, get all your chipset updates from the chipset manufacturers not motherboard manufacturers or ms. i've had problem's with ms updates on videocards that worked alright before update but not after. i've always had to do a roll back on that video update to get it working properly. haven't done sp3 yetbecause of what i've seen here.

19. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

I've been running SP3 for sometime now, and no problems, however, I backed up my entire system prior to installing.

20. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Mort81..No its like its dead. The only thing that powers up is the fancy red Diodes they installed so U don't need a light. I still need a light. On the back I found an LED Power switch, that seemed to be the problem. I turned it on and it powered up, I'll try for a couple of days and see. If it continues to reset to no power I'll assume its the board. I've turned it off and on 4 times since

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.