1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

a whopping 166mhz extra mhz. Oh well, if it's cheap it'll be worth having...

2. 21122112

21122112 Member

.333mhz from the E8400 only $80 more also. A better deal than the E8500 right now.

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It's all in the eyes of the be-uilder. If you're an overclocker the extra expense really gives nothing back since both have the same cores and therefore essentially have the same maximum clock speed potential, that is unless the price is quite small. To a non overclocker however a modest speed increase might be worth a few extra dollars. At newegg the E8400 is $174.99 and the E8500 is $194.99 which amounts to $20. If it's something like that then go ahead and do it but you'll have to give up a case of Guinness for it.:)

I expect to see a lot of prices coming down on dual and quad cores over the next few weeks, because retailers will be clearing current stock. Word has it that Intel has decided to release Nehalem some time in September which means that it will probably hit the shelves in October.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Higher clocked stock CPUs also start with a higher multiplier which essentially means if you're a 'soft overclocker' so to speak like myself, then you can squeeze a bit more out of the CPU even after having overclocked it.

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

True one can hedge their bets a bit with a higher clock multiplier since it would place less strain on both FSB and memory. For only $20 I'd do it.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Me too. The price gap's quite nice in the UK too, £110 for an E8400, £122 for an E8500, retail of course. The OEM is £164, rather bizarrely.

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

/me wants to know where he can get a case of Guinness for $20!!!!! If you know Soph then please STOP hiding the place and SHARE!!! hehehee. ;P

btw with all the "price slashes" the GM is getting the itchy finger for a NEW cpu.... :D BUT first is gonna be a new DFI mobo unless someone can talk me into another brand... :p

Thanks for the info fellas. ;)

...gm

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm all for the DFI. Be nice to have a bit of variety here. A bit of variety that isn't Striker Extreme variety... :p

9. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

yeah, how about more brand varitey, too much GBs :p.....

(and ASUS's)

how about biostar or ECS :D HAHA

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

DFI boards are generally good to great overclockers and having had the experience of being inside their bios', it's quite an overclocking experience. Some DFI's have voltage settings for everything but time travel.

That all depends on what you define as a case.:)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  11. 21122112

21122112 Member

Along the same logic. wouldnt it be easier to acheive the higher clock speed with a speed already .333mhz higher?

If they say can both Overclock to 4.2ghz(hypotheticly) wouldnt it be less strain on the CPU with a core speed of 3.33ghz than one at 3.0ghz? Plus wouldnt the max vcore be a little higher for the E8600?

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It does have a very mild difference, but the CPUs themselves typically max out at a very similar point - there's likely to be almost as much variation between two different CPUs the same model than one or the other. However, if you don't push them to the limit, you will get a little more out of a higher clocked chip before having to 'start tweaking' so to speak.

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It depends on the limit of the actual core. A lot of those high overclock claims of 4.2 GHz are questionable and really depends on how one defines stable. I like a high overclock but never to the point of applying excessive voltages to the vcore or memory. I can easily achieve an over 4 GHz overclock or higher, and even post the benchmarks, but there is no long term use for one wanting stability. Without applying too much in the way of added vcore or memory voltages one can easily hit a comfortable and stable 3.85 GHz with the E8400. With the right stuff both will hit the same approximate ceiling.

If I was just getting started I would buy the E8500 now just for the added clock multiplier alone, but I already have an E8400. When I purchased the E8400 the difference between it and the E8500 was closer to $80/$100 and that wouldn't be worth it for me. Unless my current processor burns out or the E8500 drops to below $100 it is unlikely that I will ever purchase one with Nehalem just around the corner.

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Shaf, actually Biostar used to make a pretty good P965 board that overclocked quite well.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

shaffaaf,
    Actually the "HAHA" is on you! This TPower P45 MB is the current overclocking champ of P45 motherboards! (Tpower- P45 OC Record (E8400, FSB675MHz, CPU to 6.0GHz)!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138118
    Not too shabby for a $150 motherboard! I've used about 40 of their inexpensive Intel and AMD motherboards for office builds, and never had a DOA or failure to date. I had to RMA a GForce 6150 because the bios update was accidentally the wrong file. It was for a TFource, and rendered the board slightly dead! LOL!!

Russ

16. greensman

greensman Regular member

Well I hope that Biostar is ok. :) I just bought this mobo for an office build, for my work actually.. :D linky to TForce TA-780G

I'm gonna start on this build in few minutes.. so good luck wishes are in order. :)

...gm

@Soph,
    A case is normally 24 beers in my land of beerdom.... :D I like Guinness but it's a dessert beer if you ask me. ;) I like the "black and tan" with some Bass or New Castle Brown ale if possible.. If you have any others.. please share. :D

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

greensman

Good luck with your build although a bit late in the evening isn't it. I must be weird because I do all my builds usually at about 7 AM.

I prefer the Guinness draught version in a can or a bottle. There is another Irish in the 14.9 Oz draught in a can that I also like called Beamish, and it is usually a dollar less by the 4 pack than Guinness.

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Hey is a VID of 1.3250v on a Q6600 bad for overclocking?

19. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Damn some guy had one with 1.16v. Anyway so it turns out batch number is important too!

I was on overclock.net a person was selling 1.2v VID chip for 160. Unfortunately I was too late to buy it :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.