1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Guys how come I cant find this ram for my gateway, 1024MB-533MHz DDR2-533 PC2-4200, 240p DIMM, 1.8v at places like newegg etc. The closet ram I can find on newegg is Kingston 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) System Specific Memory for HP/Compaq - Retail.

It says it's for HP's & Compaqs and unbuffered what ever the hell that means if it would make a difference or not don't know, I don't particulary like Kingston, and sure I can locate it at a gateway site just don't want to be charged an arm and a leg.

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

You could try CRUCIAL. Crucial and Kingston are the best in my opinion. Though Kingston doesnt work in all rigs. I think its fairly rare though. They are the best in the business(BOTH), Hands down. :D

:)<-----using Gskill here

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Unh, because you looked in the wrong place! LOL! :)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...147 1052108080 1052408147 1052307858&name=1GB
    Try there, they have 7 1GB listed. Next time select DDR2 from the list on the left, and then scroll down and click on more at the bottom of the speed list, and then you will see 533. Then you can choose what size you want.

Happy New Year Fred,
    Russ

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Wow, There's no dual am2+ boards on newegg. I would REALLY like a board equipped with DUAL phenom FX's...OMG! As I typed that I just read up on the FX class phenoms. STELLAR!!! Im waiting on my next build till I can build with one of those freaks of technology! LOL :D
    AMD is taking a VERY Large step with those bad boys! The wiki has some pretty interesting tidbits. All of which can be found at amds site im sure. But there are also rumors on wiki, INTERESTING rumors.

5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

now thats a loaded Question...lol Russ has a very High Opinion of Gigabyte boards. and he should have. thats all i have to say about that...lol.

WOW... i wouldnt wish crucial mem on anyone. there DDR2 1066 mem is garbage. ive RMA'd 3 sets of crucial mem. the last set is still in the package i havent even opened and wont.(ddr2 800)
    i am glad t osee your useing somthing other than the crucial you speak highly of...lol
    just funnin with ya Omegaman, no harm ment here....

in a couple weeks im gonna start buy some parts for my new build(quad core build) thinking of the case first of all..lol yea you all know what im going with,,,HAF932...

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I still have to return my failed stick of Crucial RAM. Bought a Crucial RAM Fan for now,to cool the 2 sticks i've left in, though am not expecting the fans to last long from the reviews i'd read.
    Will probably buy Corsair Dominator's if any more Crucial sticks fail.

/looks at the piles of old EDO and SDRAM that are donkey's years old and sighs at today's craply built technology - no doubt made for today's generation of teens who upgrade equipment for no good reason every few months

7. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Hppy New Year Russ and everybody else, thanks so much getting back to me, I know I'm not an expert on searches like you guys are, that's why I'm glad you guy's are around.

I'm gonna order the Corsair for the gateway, also after reading some of you reported how crucial sucks I'm glad I read it cause I was gonna order one for my HP also today, dropped that sucker and found this,

http://www.globalcomputer.com/appli...M771&cm_mmc=Email-_-GlobalMain-_-GLOEM771-_-5 weeks,

even a better deal than the crucial was, been wanting to do this for a while now and finally getting to it, I've installed ram before it's easy, but, my media center HP holy crappola, I noticed where the empty slot is it looks like I might have to take out half the guts out of the damn thing to install it, it's the HP Media Center m7330n, the one with the slot in the front you can install an external hardrive,no room what so ever in the damn thing gez.

I just hope I don't screw something up and wind up throwing the damn thing out the window, can't wait till I finally have the money and the balls to build my own my way, I'm gonna get a case 6ft high where I can walk in it and sit down and install things in comfort lol.

Sometime soon I'm gonna do this, gave up on my son helping, when he comes home for holidays he's always gone anyway, eh no biggie I was young once to, but I'm starting to taste a build, constantly reading this post, so many different configs, so many different idea's and opinions I kinda get lost and frustrated sometimes but no matter.

I keep in a folder many different kind of ideas and part listing that always interest me, and my eye caught a motherboard you posted on the previous page Russ, the gigabyte, did a lot of reading on it, if I had to build today it would be my pick, I like the gig boards, I helped a friend of mine get one from a college kid I met when he came to my friends auto shop, he build it himself and also had a gig board he also swears by them, he said he has build many for friends and always uses gigs, he needed the bucks and I got a great deal for my friend at the shop, there's 4 PC's in that shop and that one never has a problem, solid as a steal door run's like a champ, you know in shops you have 10 different people with their hands on all of them and everybody always fight to use that one lol, it's the only one that's always reliable.

Actually when I will be ready I'm gonna use this kid to help me, as computer stupid as I still am I am smart enough not to attempt trying to put one together on my own without somekind of guidance, as much help as I get from a site like this and will when the time comes, going back and fourth with problems and questions on a forum I can see that will be frustrating, I would probably fill out 50 pages of questions for you guys, I would probably get banned lol.

But knowing I have this thread and the kid I'm not so paranoid, not yet anyway, when I start ordering might start getting the shakes lol, can you believe this, I can fix your car and build you a house without blinking an eye, but scared sh#%t#*s with this coming project, but I'm stubborn, a perfectionist and refuse to be defeated.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU GUY'S.

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

9. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Happy New Year all, have started early.

Fred, don't be put off by pc's, they're really child's play. Building them/troubleshooting them anyway. It's only the keeping up with the youngster speak ie the endless graphics card/driver update conversations that's tricky. Though i lost interest in all that crap many years ago, a pc is just a tool for me to get things done. Bah humbug and all that :)

Once you've messed with/or built one you'll realise how easy it is, then you'll realise why so many of us don't do Tech Support in the Windows world, but in proper systems, anybody with half an ipod can do tech support/understand Windows :) :)

10. spamual

spamual Guest

russ, PVAs have a veiwing angle of 178/178, anything less is a TN :)

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Happy New Year AD. I've decided to drink less, eat less, and suffer fools gladly (Hmm! Maybe not), and purchase fewer PC parts (a lie I told my wife:p).

[​IMG]

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Actually...Unless wiki is mistaken, PVA's... Well here. This was taken from wiki.
    TVs based on PVA and S-PVA LCD panels deliver a broad viewing angle, up to 178 degrees
    I truly hope im not mistaken. It is not my wish to start an argument. Im trying to understand the technology myself :D
    So am I right in assuming that anything UNDER 178 is PVA???

13. spamual

spamual Guest

MVA is 176/176, 178/178 is S-PVA IICR, and S-IPS goes upto 180 IICR.

that panel is deffo TN with a 160.

and with the response time at 2ms no doubt its a TN

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2008
  14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Wow... Lcd's are beginning to intimidate me o_O Im sure given time and experimentation, I'll understand. LOL, then there will be a new technology

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It's not really that hard. TN panels have improved a lot over the last couple of years in the area of color and now make a reasonably decent choice. S-IPS panels continue to be expensive but they are being challenged by the latest S-PVA panels but they too are expensive. I'm not even certain that there are any LCDs' under 24 inches that have anything but TN panels. So if you're not looking for at least a 24 inch, then worrying about S-IPS or S-PVA is unwarranted.

If there are any S-IPS or S-PVA panels under 24 inches then this group will find it.

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ahhh... So basically unless im an LCD history buff, I need not worry too much about the terminology?

17. spamual

spamual Guest

SOPH, the dell 20" were/are s-ips ICIR

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The point I was making is really how much are you going to spend, what size would you like, and what is your intended use? If you are looking for less than a 24 inch then panel type is out of the picture since it will likely be a TN panel. If you are prepared to spend more and you work with graphic images then you should consider an S-IPS or S-PVA but you will pay more on top of their size.

That little 21.5 inch 16:9 Asus TN panel that can play 1080P is in my view a great price for what it offers.

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Sorry about my ignorance. I guess ive closed my mind, to the specifics involved in a HIGH quality LCD. I figured if it was large, good resolution, good viewing angle, Then I would be happy. Gonna have to read up on this good stuff. THANK YOU

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GigaByte, like many others makes some very good motherboards. They occasionally bring out a dog. The 790x has some problems and wasn't well received, while the 790GX doesn't, and gets very positive reviews. I want the one I linked you because it met the criteria you asked for. It is very future proof. It will accept just about any dual core or quad CPU you want to put in it, all the way through the Phenom II Black Edition. It also has the embedded controller for AMD Overdrive, which allows higher overclocks with the Phenom II than any previous AMD motherboard, without the penalty of having to use more voltage to do it. It also can use future AM3 CPUs with DDR2 with just a bios flash. I would call that very future proof!

Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.