1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Perhaps you can explain why my Sceptre 20.1" is 170x160 and Sophocles has already shown me that mine is not a TN panel?

Respectfully,
    Russ

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yah, I really appreciated that russ. But I am months out from a build. Moneys somewhat tight right now. Been looking at giga boards for a while now. The first thing I noted about them in the past was they average a larger ram capacity(Perhaps they were simply ahead of the game)! And they do average pretty good reviews as well. Hmmmfff. As much as I want to try this board, By the time im ready, there will be something WAYYY better im sure, lol. :D

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I'm in no rush myself. I want a Phenom II, so that's why I chose that particular MB. With the economy the way it's going, who knows! I don't know about the WAYYY better part, but the 790GX/750 chipset was designed with the future in mind, and the AM3 version of the Phenom II will have both DDR3 and DDR2 memory controllers. I guess AMD is hedging their bets too! LOL!! :)

I've only had two Gigabyte MBs, a 965p-DS3 Rev 1.33 and my Presaent P35-DS3R Rev 2.0, and both have been solid. Sam has had good success with them as well as a number of other people here.

Happy New Year,
    Russ

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Too much is made of viewing angles. Hell I check mine out every now and then just to remind myself that my monitor supposedly good to 178 degrees. The truth is that I look at it almost dead center because that's where my PC chair is placed. I love watching HD movies on it, but if I should begin inviting people over to surf the net with me, play a game, or watch a movie on my monitor (like that's ever going to happen in my private domain)then I will do my best to see to it that they don't sit to far to the right or left of the screen.:D

If it looks good to you, then it is good.

5. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

Russ sent you a email.My ex wife must've been a PIA [pain in the arse] panel.Didn't look good from any angle!Happy New Year everyone.

6. spamual

spamual Guest

russ whats ur exact model?

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

shaff,
    It's an x20 Naga III 20.1". Sophocles already looked it up. In fact he posted it recently, but I don't know in which thread. We had this same discussion quite a while ago!

Happy New Year,
    Russ

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I'm not certain as to where this discussion is heading and I am far too lazy to read back so here it is. I once had a list of all of the panel types and Russ' x20 Naga III was listed as a P-MVA type.

9. spamual

spamual Guest

i see the veiwing angles as 176/176, so yes P-MVA, but 170/160 as the asus is, is 100% TN

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

That sounds reasonable as far as monitors go but have you ever looked at your monitor from more than 170? I agree the Asus is a TN panel, but it is also a different sort of TN panel, don't you think? The dot pitch is awesome for its size on any panel. We are talking 1920 by 1080 on a monitor so small with a pixel density that can't be matched by the best HD TVs. One can forgive a little color loss which can really only be seen in a side by side comparison. This has got to be a great gaming monitor and I'm betting that the pixel density will make it so sharp that it is even a decent if not quite good blu-ray monitor.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  11. spamual

spamual Guest

not putting it down soph, im buying one :D for the PS3 im getting in about 2 weeks once student loans come through. i have seen it in real life, looks fantastic to me. i bit washed out, but gamam can fix that :D

very crips and clear though. TN has improved alot :)

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I know you're not putting it down, but if you know me then you know that I'm going to elaborate anyway. Now just to mess thing up a bit, I prefer S-PVA panels over S-IPS panels for video playback and editing.

It just turned midnight here so I guess it's really happy new year and get your butt to bed because that means it's 5 AM where you are:D

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I quite agree with you. It's the smallest full 1080P screen on the market and with a pixel Pitch of 0.248, with an aspect ratio of 16x9, it should be spectacular. I've also noticed that the same model in Europe is a different screen with a larger Pixel Pitch and 2ms response time. The model sold in the US has a 5ms response time, and is a brand new model in the US, just released Dec. 12.

Happy New Year,
    Russ

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Before you rush out and buy one, be aware that the one sold in Europe is not the same spec as the one listed in the States. The one here only came out not quite 3 weeks ago and the pixel pitch is much smaller than the European version. Whether any of this is true or not, I don't know as I've seen conflicting specs for Europe. I hope it's the same as the us version as it should make a very good gaming monitor.

Happy new Year,
    Russ

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Is it me, or did you just disagree with yourself, before sitting on a fence? Watch out for the barbs! LOL

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Well, some of the information has it listed with a Matte finish screen, and some list it as Glossy. Some list it as 0.248 Pixel Pitch and others list it as 0.282. I wasn't contradicting myself, but was questioning the accuracy of the information I was able to find because they conflict so much. Besides, when did you ever know me to do anything but sit on the edge of a cliff with my legs dangling? ROFLMAO!! In this case I just wanted Shaff to be sure of what he was getting. I didn't question myself, I questioned the accuracy of the first paragraph, based on what was reported. When presented with conflicting specs, it's best to be careful. The bottom line is I don't know which information is correct!

Happy New Year,
    Russ

17. spamual

spamual Guest

well its a toss up between that and the Dell S2409W 24" which is 16:9 1080p aswell.

i know its bigger, but itll be used on my PS3 not my PC and so there wont be much if any difference, hell ive played on a 52" plasma, and the games looked fantastic, no pixelation :)

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

No matter what, the Dell will never have as sharp a picture as the Asus. The 0.276 Pixel Pitch on a larger screen will see to that. It's really hard to beat 0.248 for 1080P. It would be my choice!

Russ

19. spamual

spamual Guest

i know but ill be sitting abotu 2m away, so it wont make a difference :)

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Code:
    No matter what, the Dell will never have as sharp a picture as the Asus.

That's only true on paper. There are other factors that provide for a sharper picture such as a difference in contrast. Contrast will affect the overall appearance of sharpness to the eye than a small difference in dot pitch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.