1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

ive heard other people say that 32bit will acknowledge ALL ram, however it will never exceed (Use more than) 3.5, Any thoughts on that?

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It can only address 4 gb of RAM. There is a limit to 32 bit systems but here is a better explanation than I can give.

Here's the link.

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000811.html

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  3. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Soph is right, Windows (Vista or not) will only see just over 3 gigs in it's 32 bit environment, which is what I primarily use. I do have 64 bit available and will probably switch to it full time soon as it does seem a bit faster.

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thanks for the Tidbit. Very informative :D Ive also heard that 64bit can run (what it can) 32bit seamlessly? I wonder just how many softwares or compatibility modes can run 32 bit softwares in a 64bit environment. Is it worth the switch??? So in a sense, 64 bit unlocks compatible processors???

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, it's been a while. Don't have the time to read through the piles of posts that appeared in my absence!
    Omegaman, 32-bit programs usually all work, it's 32-bit drivers that usually cause issues. Most of the problems are caused by incompatibility with Vista itself, but in most cases I've found, if it was incompatible with Vista, it was incompatible with XP too.

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

ahh hah. Thank you. Logical. :D I think however for my own benefit, im gonna have to run some tests. Best way to learn is experimentation, self taught :) Atleast for me anyway. Perhaps I should wait on windows 7 though? I hear VERY good things about it. Hmmmff. Probably gonna cost alot on its release too :(

7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

all 3 fans are in and running well. looks real good with all red fans now.

here is a shot of everest 4.60v
    [​IMG]

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Hey Rob,
    The only thing I would be careful about is the MB controlling any manual speed controlled fans. Depending on the method of the fan's speed control you could do damage to the MB or the fans themselves. The 12v appears properly on mine with version 4.50 and it correctly identifies the chipset! It may just be a later 4.50 build.

[​IMG]

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

It could be that you have a P35 mobo and he has a P45 mobo so the new version of Everest reads his values properly. I'm betting on that personally. :p

.....gm

10. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Red, I like my Red HDD led. VERY cool. What I would really like to see though is a Black Light (VIOLET?) look to my PC components! THEN, I would be on cloud 9, LOL

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Boy, a guy just cant find a decent desktop/htpc case for a cheap price. I just want something to slap my old asus m-atx board in for a media center. They're averaging 50 + dollars for low end. Do I have to spend 50+ for a good looking case? I guess there is a higher demand for these cases than I thought

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Antec Tricool I believe switches between three fixed resistances, so it's much the same as just having a resistor cable attached, it shouldn't prove a problem as I controlled the Tricools in the 900 when I had it using a Rheostat with no issues whatsoever.

Omegaman: Why don't you then? UV cold cathodes are cheap these days.... :) The only thing you have to beware of is that if you have other bright LEDs in there they ruin the effect as they're far brighter than UV lighting.

You're moaning about 50 dollars? 50 dollars is low-end to me. 100 dollars is typical for a high-end case, 150 for a top-end.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Lol, I figured. Man, your awesome. I had no idea newegg had those. Havn't really thought of working on lighting for it yet though. THANK YOU. I simply think I should get more for 50, thats all. No, im not cheap, just thrifty, LOL

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

NZXT Alpha? That's only 70 dollars and is overall a pretty decent case.

16. greensman

greensman Regular member

@O-man7:

Here are some other retailers for you. ;)

www.svc.com
    www.coolerguys.com
    www.microcenter.com
    www.frys.com
    www.mwave.com
    www.Xoxide.com
    www.rima.com
    www.performance-PCS.com
    www.tigerdirect.com
    www.jab-tech.com

These are just a few from the states that some of us use. There is more but these are some of the most used by the guys from the states in the forum. I'm sure they will add more if they desire; I even have another 15-20 that I've found in the past but DON'T use for NO particular reason. :D

hth...

....gm

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

Russ,
    as Gm said when i got my GA-EP45-DS3R NOTHING about the mobo showed up in 4.50v of everest. it also showed my +12v @0.25v now it is showing the same thing my bios shows. so a update was needed for the P45 board..well the one i have anyway.
    now if speedfan would update for this board.

as for the fans, i have 2 of them connected to the mobo and they are set on medium.(1600 rpms at medium setting) and the board has them only running at 1210,1216 rpms. from what i have been reading and have heard from a few other people that has these fans there isn't any problem with the style of fan control the have with the mobo effecting them. as Sam said they are in all actuality a stationary fan once set on its setting.

i got the tower back under my desk on a little platform i made for it.. it has a nice red glow to it. i now need to find some red led 140mm aero cool fans for my side panel.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Very true on the fans, however as you slow the fans down via resistance you increase the load on the MB headers, and they weren't designed for that kind of load. A dedicated fan controller is considerably more powerful and designed with that in mind. It also depends on what the fan controller method and mode are set to, and how a particular MB decides how many of the fan headers are controlled by the MB's fan controls. As you well know from your own experience with them, the Silverstones with their own speed controls can make some strange noises when trying to control them minus the speed control plugged in because of the electronics built into the fan itself. I personally usually only use the CPU fan header, and run my two Stones direct from the PSU Molex plug, and set the fan speed to a fixed rpm via their own controllers. I think that's the reason that some fans come with a three wire plug with only one wire attached, so the speed can be measured and set, while being powered by a Molex plug. I know my rear 120 is that way. It doesn't help that the MB manufacturers are usually very vague about which headers are controlled by the MB at all. Just imagine how nice it would be if they actually supply all the information you needed, instead of trial and error! LOL!! Language translations are another problem in trying to understand what's what!

Russ

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The resistance of a fan is natural, a lower speed fan of the same size will draw less current using the same voltage, so therefore it has a higher resistance. Slowing a fan down with a resistor is much the same as plugging in a slower fan. The only thing I know will damage a motherboard fan header bar shorting it out trying to hot-plug a fan is too much current. The only fans I know that cause this are Deltas, and who uses those these days?
    The reason for the noise from the silverstones is conflicting PWM controllers, and doesn't relate to analogue voltage fan control, which most fans will accept, and most people use. As I previously stated, personal experience tells me the Tricools are quite happy with a fan controller and the switch being turned down. Personal experience also told me that Silverstones attached to a fan controller will eventually catch fire. Don't do it folks! :p

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I don't know about the catching fire part, but I personally prefer not to run my fans through the MB except the CPU fan, as when doing repairs I often come across burned out fan headers, particularly with Dell computers! My thinking is the less load put on the MB power these days, the better! I know I can see the difference between the load of a D-940 (130w) vs the E6750 (65w), especially when overclocking.

Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.