1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spamual

spamual Guest

30w per channel, 6 channel fan controller FTW, esp wheny ou can hook up a pump to it :)

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

GM, Once again you are the man. And Sam, Thanks for the recommendation (NZXT Alpha)! Looking into now. :D I might even try out ebay. I really dont wanna bless an OLD board with a new case. Like souping up a VW bug! lol Its my luck that, Thats when the board will go out!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Bear in mind this was through the said 30W per channel controller Shaffaaf is talking about. The smoke was pouring out of the fan circuitry, not the PC (the fan was running externally at the time)
    It's funny you should mention Dell PCs as they do use Delta fans. One wonders if perhaps dust causes the fan to speed up too much and overload the socket!

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

GM, I am sooo sorry. I swear that burner was in stock when I linky'd it. That is unreal. They do still however have the 7200A. Wow, I guess everyone wants the sata model. Couldnt have anything to do with EVERYONE praising their abilities, LOL :D
    Ok... This certainly falls under building so... Im reading reviews that the new optiarc 7220 is lite-on, but this link im looking at says its sony/nec nec chipset. Any thoughts as to the validity of this site? Is there a more trustworthy site?

5. greensman

greensman Regular member

O-man7,
    When that drive first came out they had it "ear-marked" as a Lite-on but within a couple of weeks or so they had changed the designation to a NEC chipset. I've had my doubts about Videohelp.com for a while now but they seem to get it right in the end. ;)

...gm

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Gm, THANKS FRIEND!!! :D :D You just made my day! I was fearing that the TRUE optiarcs were no more. Might just get one before too long. Replace my bros DRU830.

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Most of them use a thermal diode or a Thermistor to control them, so I doubt that dust is the problem. I do know they are quite loud when doing anything like encoding. They literally roar! AMD's Cool and Quiet seems to work the best, although they do roar when you first start the computer for a second and then get very quiet. The fan controls in all the AMD MBs I've come across seem to react far quicker to temperature changes than they do on the Intel's! The Intel's are much slower in building speed, where the AMD's will occasionally give a short blast of air and then slow right down again and are more closely matched to the CPU and case temperature changes. The Intel's seem to build up the fan speeds in stages. BTW, I do see that the AF7-Pro does get quite loud at anything above about 1600 rpm. You start looking for the source of the noise! LOL!! I'm also not going to change the fan layout because of the D-940 as I'm just waiting to get the new E6750 from Intel.

BTW, has anyone here ever come across a "Phantom" icon on the desktop before? About a week ago I went to start DVDRB and it looked for all the world like it was trying to install Office XP! That's very odd because my Office XP installs from a CD, and it wasn't in the drive. It did it 3 consecutive times, and I haven't seen it since. I know the copy of the free DVDRB was corrupt, but I only keep that for customers. I use the Pro myself. I know I found a few corrupted files caused by the bad E6750, so that may have had something to do with it. I just never saw that one before! :)

Russ

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I meant indirectly, i.e. dust in the system causing it to overheat.
    As for the fan speed control on the AMDs, it's got nothing to do with the CPU, it's motherboard specific. The majority of Asus boards have QFan, which is all but useless, as it has 6V and 12V, nothing in between. The auto speed control on the CPU fan for gigabytes seems pretty gradual but I can't tell as the stock cooler isn't especially loud above five HDDs, certainly nowhere near as obtrusive as the Freezer 7 Pro. The case fan control is dire though, for the sae reason as Qfan.
    What exactly do you mean by phantom icon?

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I was referring to how fast they seem to react to temperature changes in the CPU The fan speeds seem to go up and down quicker. I agree, QFan is all but useless! The freezer 7 Pro on mine only starts to get obtrusive above 1600 rpm, which with the E6700 rarely ever gets that high. normal operating range on mine is usually between 1000 and 1400, so I never noticed it before, but then I never used a 130w chip in this MB! I don't know about the case fan as I never ran it through the MB!

Russ

10. spamual

spamual Guest

Q fan FTL lol, either the fan is too slow that the system over heats, OR its to loud running full out.

fanless CPU cooler FTW :D

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Isn't that the same as a Fanless heater? ROFLMAO!! Little Smokies anyone? :)

Russ

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I ran my Q6600 fanless for a short period, it sort of worked. The E4300 ran fine fanless, but did get a bit hotter than I perhaps would have liked.

13. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Normally i'd have all the fans in my Antec 900 on lowest to remove virtually all noise from the PC, but since one of my RAM sticks died i've cranked all fans up to highest (noticed the memory sticks run very hot, it's most likely irrelevant but the RAM failure purely gave me an incentive to improve the cooling), and have ordered a Corsair RAM cooler (it may or may not be a good buy, time will tell, but 'twas only £15). The PC is much louder now, which is fine as most of the time this PC is only used for video encoding. The rest of the time the PC is used for watching/listening to media thru the xboxes and the noise is far too loud, so what i'll do in future is hookup that PC's USB2.0 backup drives to one of my (silent) Dell Dual Core machines and access the media that way.

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

When I said HTPC/desktop, I meant more of a laying down kinda case :)
    Must admit, that does look like a VERY good case though. Here is an example of the cases im looking at. (Linky)
    [​IMG]
    And only 50$ Not a bad lookin case. Plain but works, CROWDED, cooling could be a thing!

15. creaky

Remarkably like my previous £5 HTPC machine(s), most of mine were/are P3 866MHz.

[​IMG]

:)

Not too shabby considering old type xboxes (ie my current HTPC's) are only P3 733MHz :)

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

LOL. Creaky I am assaulted by a couple of dozen of those old Compaq desktop pros. I think the ones we have are all P3 based 733 MHz celerons.

I have a really great HTPC setup and all that I use for a case is a standard Cooler Master style mid tower. I like the idea of HTPC cases and passive cooling, but for me it just isn't practical because I will over buy on the graphics card and overclock everything else.:D

17. creaky

HTPC's are impractical for me too, but only in the hard drive side of things, they just don't make large enough hard drives (yet) :p

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Impractical? The reason I wanna do this in a nut shell...
    Computers are the way (the future), I dont want another dvd player (sick of them giving up), Optical pc drives are FAR cheaper to replace, Towers are too large for an entertainment stand, need I go on? In my opinion, a media center requires its own PC. Unless you have a FREAK, and I mean a WHOPPER of a computer. And the only way I see that happening is with an NVIDIA tesla processor! It supposedly turns any computer with a pci-E 2.0 slot into a super computer! SORRY CREAKY, Im not freaking out at you, LOL :D Didnt really acknowledge the HDD side of your explanation til after the fact.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

omegaman7,

Antec has two that I like. The first is $119.99 and the second is on sale for $174.99. The first one comes with an Earthwatts 380w and the Second a 430w. I like the airflow and they will fit right in with my sound equipment.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129034

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was interested in this one, but it only has one external 5.25" bay, where the other one has 2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129029

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Perfect for my use, with well designed airflow. Bays for 2 ODDs and 2 HDDs I can finally get rid of the Tower and get some of my desktop back!

Best Regards,
    Russ

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

That is pretty sharp man. Thanks for the tidbit. REALLY dont wanna spend alot on the first one though. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.