1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

You dont think that 400-800mhz per core is a large enough increase???
    Yah... your probably right. Besides, I want this board to last a while, and other than the cpu, its MAXXED!!! I suppose I could attempt tweaking the ram a bit. Perhaps I could sell this one, and begin on the next. I know people (family) that would be blown away at this ones abilities. VERY STREAMLINED. Thats why im afraid to consider intel.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It doesn't really make sense to get a 20% boost (maximum) for that much money really, but your call.

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I hear yah man, I really do. But I cant even afford to LOOK at the phenom II's let alone dream of them, LOL Any thoughts on projected retail price???

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Around $200 I expect, they aren't worth any more.

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

:D <------ AMD FANBOY as if you couldnt guess. 200$ SOLD!!! I'll consider intel when I have money to throw away, LOL :D I mean no offense, just havnt seen anything to warrant my spending more on a brand that just in my opinion doesnt run that smooth. I suppose Creaky's posts are enough for me to consider them though. His encode times sound INCREDIBLE!!! I have never bought intel, I have NO right to bash them. Pretty unimpressed with their single cores though :(

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

$160 for the 920 and $283 for the 940 are the last figures I've seen on the net! Whether it's worth it or nor remains to be seen!

Russ

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

omegaman7,
    The smooth you talk about is one of the things I like most about the AMDs. Things just happen on the desktop quicker, with very little delay unless it's something extremely large. Things like YouTube videos seem to be up and running a good bit faster on the 4800+ than they do on my E6750. Whether that has something to do with my Duff CPU I don't know, but I will find out shortly when the new chip arrives.

BTW, To All: Be aware that if you are shipping anything to Intel for RMA, you may have a problem shipping with UPS! They recently changed their database over to USPS's database. I could not ship from my office as the software wouldn't accept the address. I had to take it into a UPS store to get it shipped, at a cost of $4.50 more. Furthermore, if UPS offers you an alternative address, Intel may never get it!

Russ

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  9. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Russ, got a question, remember I ordered some corsair ram for my hp and gateway, the hp rams came in, I got 2 1gb, now I see I have 4 slots, two of them are filled with 512's slot 1&2, now, how do I do this, should I fill slot 1&2 with the 2 1gb and 3&4 with the 512's.

I would think thats the way to go but I need to make sure before I do, please and thank you. Oh yeah, they both came with rebates, what a pain in the ass.

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

The reason I can say that, is because my mother, a friend, a brother have had them. They ALL bottlenecked! Says a lot in my opinion :)
    Russ, Thats interesting about UPS. I work at UPS. Gonna have to look into that, and see whats up

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Fred,
    What model is the MB? Check your PMs.

Russ

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

omegaman7,
    Good for you. let me know what you find out. Would you like the address in question?

Russ

13. FredBun

FredBun Active member

OK Russ, I sent you my pm reply, hope my info helps.

14. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

Hello guys,
    been a while since i posted on here,
    anyway i was wondering if any of you guys has a good recommendation for a good PCI wireless adapter card. My current Airlink Wireless N is pretty much useless, as connection keeps slowing waaaaay down every 5 minutes.
    I found this d-link PCI-Express x1 adapter, but its pricey and i'm not sure if it works well.
    If you guys have any good experience w/ a card, let me know!
    Thanks

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Everything I read about UPS in the US sounds terrible, and they're not much better in the UK either. By contrast I have been very impressed with USPS, I've had a number of international shipments, and every one arrived within a week of the send date.

Omegaman: Single cores and Multi-cores are worlds apart, that's where the difference is, not Intel vs AMD. For what it's worth, my X2 4200+ compared to my E4300 both stock, while still comparable processors, the 4200+ felt a lot quicker. However, I never ran any objective tests - the E4300 system now has a slower hard disk, and usually the E4300 was overclocked heavily and far surpassed the 4200+, so on the few rare occasions when I left it underclocked, I may have been over-exaggerating the difference. One thing's for sure, the 'snappiness' you get from a system really does have a lot to do with the hard disk you use. I had a standard 8MB cache WD2500AAJS as my OS drive for a while, the speed of my system then compared to when I put the Raptor back was alarming.

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Sorry russ. Totally spaced it. We had other problems in are facility tonight. One of the hubs in our area had a roof colapse due to the weather, so we had to run their volume. One heck of a night, LOL. Shouldnt need the address. I dont think thats necessary for WHY? We'll see.
    Hope I can work work work, and save some money for my next build. Itching to build that quad system, maybe even octuplet, since supposedly gen2 phenoms address a past complication with pairing them up. Any thoughts on that? Could you imagine...8 Cores! :D :D

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Core i7 CPUs have hyperthreading, so they can technically appear as 8 core CPUs already... :p

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Couldnt agree with you more on that one. My 5000aaks is awesome, My raptor is awesome(Though Failing :( ), My FALS 1TB drive is FRIGGIN NUTS!!! :D

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I was very tempted to get a FALS, but for now can't stomach the price. It could be an interesting replacement for one of my 750s though.
    Which Raptor do you have that is failing? Is it a 150 by any chance?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

120 Right now (LINKY) When they first arrived I payed 240. It was worth EVERY penny! Love that 32mb Cache. It actually averages quicker than my failing raptor, And Ive heard that it tries to keep up with the Veloci!!! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.