1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Heh, $120 is all well and good, it's £89 here. Believe it or not, only one of my dozen HDDs has ever cost me more than that, a Samsung HD400LJ back in 2006.
    Also, see my edit above.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  2. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

I've had good succes with USB wireless adapters, but mostly Linksys and Netgear. However, there is a ENCORE ENUWI-G2 IEEE 802.11b/g USB 2.0 802.11G Wireless Adapter Up to 54Mbps for $14.99. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833180017

Never heard of an Encore, but the price is certainly good.

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

No, I wish it was, however at the same time I wouldnt want it failing LOL. Model (WD740) Bought it off ebay. For some comparisons. Windows started getting errors though. Not entirely convinced it was the drive though! But s.m.a.r.t. does yield a few bad sectors, sooo....
    Im afraid I havnt worked with wireless cards, YET. And I use the word YET, VERY stongly LOL. I love playing with new technologies :D

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Bad sectors aren't necessarily curtains for a drive if they can be reallocated. If all the sectors have been reallocated, then it's pretty much a goner. What's the date of manufacture? If it's in 2005 or later you're in with a chance of an RMA, though they may want the original proof of purchase if it's before JAN 2006. The reason I say you can do it before is that I bought my WD360GD in June 2006 and yet its manufacture date is in 2004!

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Jan 25th 2006. But as I said, ebay. Its all good. I picked it up for 40 dollars I think.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Try replacing it, and be damn quick about it, it's legitimately covered under warranty for another 18 days. When I RMA'ed a drive I wasn't asked for proof of purchase from WD. Get it done!

7. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@mrk44 - i think you're only after Draft N but just in case 54g will do, i can't recommend Linksys WMP54G (olde worlde PCI) cards highly enough. There's 2 or 3 chipsets, RT2500, RT61 and if there's another it escapes me, basically they are excellent (and cheap) cards and more importantly they are very well supported in Linux if that's your bag.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Try and stick with 54g if you can, it seems a lot more stable than N. There are a lot of solid 54g wireless adapters out there.

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yah think so huh? Ehh... I'll think about it. I have an 80gb hard drive thats pushing 8yrs old thats holding 90% fitness 90% performance (WD). I will never buy anything else. I bought a seagate a few months back for the first time, and it started failing inside a week. My current WD drives may quite possibly be the last mechanical drives I buy. REALLY wanna look in to Solid State! Heard pretty good things about a paticular model. :D

10. creaky

I still don't feel confident in Draft N yet, though i'm a regular over at the DD-WRT forums and always have my ears open for decent Draft N routers. Am completely happy with the four 54g router setup i have currently, but am always looking out for success stories on cheap Draft N routers that are DD-WRT compatible.

My router setup -
    4 node (v23 sp2) WDS network over WPA2 comprising 2x Buffalo WHR-G54S's, a WRT54G v5 and a WRT54G v2 - All 100% stable for over a year so far; also i have a spare dd-wrt router WRT54GS v6 using v23 sp2 too. Plus i use a Buffalo WHR-G54S with (you guessed it) the same version of DD-WRT at g/f's place.
    Always on the lookout for more routers though, it's rude not to.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's unfortunate, I have to say. Reliability is one of Seagate's few good traits, I'd even go as far as to say it's slightly above WD's. My friend Jon had 18 7200.10 750GB drives that are now around 18 months old, one of which I now have, and apart from the random chirping noise it seems these drives often make, no problems with any, and the same goes for his eight 1500GB drives, so far no issues.

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Probably just got a bad drive then huh. I suppose it happens to every company. No company is perfect I suppose. Processors seem to hold VERY STRONG reviews though. Pretty rare DOA's. Wish other products were as such.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes, but faulty ones do still occur, I've not had one, but Spamual has (because he tested it in my board and nearly fried it!) Usually though a CPU will last well over a decade.

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Good to know :D Well... Thanks for the chat man, given me stuff to think about. I gotta hit the hay, LOL. LONG day. And probably another tomorrow. Chat you later, LOL :)

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

mrk44,
    You might want to try the cable just to see if the problem is the card or something else. The problem could be with the wireless router or even the line feeding the router.

I use the Encore one myself. It's cheap and it works, although this is a very small house, so the range might be better with the pricey one you posted! I also have a Netgear 111T, usb for wireless Super G that I use when working on laptops that don't have WiFi. The problem with them is they get a bit warm. They both do about 3000 Kbps down and about 800 Kbps up on a T1 line.

Best Regards,
    Russ

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I used to use a linksys WRT54G v6 and it was awful. it got to where I had to reset it almost daily. I have since moved to a 2wire gateway 2701HG-B combination modem router and I have NEVER had to reset it. I bought it on ebay for about $50. one of the best moves I've ever made.

17. creaky

That's why i don't use stock router firmware anymore. DD-WRT ensures many months of fault-free operation and many more features than stock :)
    Linksys make excellent kit, and their stock firmware is ok-ish, but it just isn't stable; put proper firmware on and they become bulletproof.

18. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

I got fiberoptic service from att so my setup is pretty much a cable line going to a 2-wire wireless gateway that transmits throughout the house. I checked the cable, doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it.
    Connection doesn't seem to drop on my other PC, so I'm assuming its my adapter.

Creaky: Linksys seems like the way to go, good reputable brand. Just paranoid, cuz a lot of people seem to be complaining on newegg reviews for the one you recommended. I think I know someone who has that card, so I'll ask around.

Russ: I don't know why, but I never trusted wireless USB sticks. They just seem to me like they don't have as much range as add-on cards, which is what I want. That, and a constant connection with no drops.
    Thanks for the recomendations.

ADD: BTW, you guys were talking about hard drives...what kind of write speeds do you guys get? My velociraptor doesn't seem to go any faster than 50MB/s, and it seems slow to me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2009
  19. creaky

I have a fair few of the WMP54G's, they were always totally stable, quality kit. Decent drivers too, both in Windows and in Linux.
    I have a fair few USB 54g sticks too, 2 or 3 different makes. They were also surprisingly stable, i just found the PCI cards to have better range than the USB.

The only problem with the PCI and USB adapters was insufficient coverage in certain parts of the house, ie the adapters would struggle with low signals hence why i replaced them by DD-WRT. This way all pc's,laptops, netbook, old type xboxes and xbox 360 are ethernet connected - the only wireless used is in the routers' own connections to each other (the 4 routers are situated in parts of the house that have good signals) and the end result is bulletproof ethernet connections throughout the house, i have up to 20 devices catered for in this setup.

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

My FALS 1TB averages atleast that. Shrink show transfers showing 70-80,000 kb/s from AAKS drive. Sometimes i'll see 90,000!
    Heres a still/s from "performance test :)First one is the first one I ran. Second was after some useage. Ive had it up to 90% capacity, without losing much speed !!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    MRK44, Is your Jumper pin set correctly??? If its not, you'll be running at Revision 1 sata. :) Never had to deal with that, but that does come to mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.