1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

jumper pin setting? not sure what that is. please teach lol

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

sata drives don't use jumper pins.

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

You need to remove a jumper pin, IF ITS THERE. (Little white JUMPER) next to Sata data cable on drive. Atleast one of my drives shipped that way. And my Raptor still has it on it. Believe its set for Cable select.

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I've read a little about SATA jumpers but haven't come across any myself.

On the subject of the speed of hard drives, on another forum site i've recently come across a program called HD Tune and it showed that my C: drive (SATA) is a lot slower than all my other drives so am not using the C: drive for any avi/movie work at the moment.
    I've read of people with the same issues and even that different SATA ports/cables and whatnot don't resolve the problemso am still investigating. Other than that all my other hard drives are stellaer performers.
    As to hard drive choices i've been using primarily WD drives of various sizes for quite some years.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ddp,
    My first 160GB Seagate came with one on it. It's to set the drive to the 1.5GB standard. You have to remove it for Sata 2.0 otherwise it will continue to run at 1.5GB standard. The second 160GB I bought didn't have any jumper at all. It's a tiny little thing, about 1/3 the size of a standard jumper. It was good it was there for the first one as it was on an Asus P5P800SE MB which had the older Sata standard. Use a pair of fine ended needle pliers (Hemostats). You can get it out with a very small Jewler's screwdriver, but it's a bitch to get out that way! Very easy to miss on the first look!

Russ

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well put man :D

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

8. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I think it was Russ that mentioned the SATA jumper before.
    I've never seen one before but if they're that tiny it's no wonder.
    I'll have to get the mgnifying glass out and have a poke about in the case tomorrow now you have peaked my curiousity (again).

9. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

well, there was one actually there. I took it out, but don't seem to see much difference when actually writing a file. Still going at around 45-50 MB/s.
    I ran file benchmark w/ hd tune
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2009
  10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

creaky,
    As you can see from Sam's pic, some like WD use a standard jumper, others are like the Seagate and others I've seen use a different jumper. It's only about 1/8" wide, and even less in depth. Mine was dark Grey! LOL!!

Russ

11. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i was meaning for slave & master. i know there is a jumper to select sata1 or sata2 speeds.

12. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

Yeah mine was 1/8" dark grey as well, used a pair of really small pliers to drag it out. But I don't see any difference w/ it in or out.

13. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

I have 2 of the exact model, which I've had for years, and absolutely no problems once my ISP solved their problems. Rarely do I have to reset, actually power off. I've never had to do a reset on either one of them.

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

sytyguy,

that's good news since I gave my linksys to my mom for x-mas. hopefully she won't have any problems like I was having with it. thought I'd try it with her setup first before buying her a new/different router. haven't installed it yet. wish me/her luck :)

15. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Hi Guys, hey Russ, I sent you a pm, about my ram for my gateway, I was trying to get support on my own to solve my issues without bothering you guys, after dealing with them today, all day, I got absolutly no where, never, ever ever ever, will I deal with gateway ever again. I will learn how to build my own some day if it kills me.

And so I can call them back and say I don't need your products or services any more, in other words, you pc company people can kiss my a#%.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Don't worry, it's just a really inaccurate program. Well, not inaccurate, but different. I score 37MB/s with my 36.7GB Raptor, and in other programs it scores 83MB/s. Your HDD is performing well.

17. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

Well it's not really the benchmark that I'm talking about. It's when I actually copy and paste a file. Like for example, when I copy and paste a file that is about 800MB, the write speed I see with teracopy (I use that as a replacement for the windows copy manager) is around 45-50 MB/s, never any more than that. But then the benchmark says shows over 100MB/s. Are they two different things or am I missing something?

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Where are you copying it from? If it's from and to the same drive, it's got to read and write at once, which for a mechanical hard drive halves the speed, if not worse. If it's to a slower drive, you could be limited by the speed of the other drive, also bear in mind HDDs slow down with how much space used up, and how fragmented they are.

19. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

That would explain a lot. When I copy to the same drive, it goes at about 48-50MB/s, which sounds about right based on what you just told me. When I copy to/from my 750GB seagate barracuda, it goes at about 65-66MB/s, which I guess is also about right since the seagate is slower. I'm only using around 39gb on the veloci, so not that much, and the fragmentation is less than 1%. So yea I guess it's alright then. Thanks.

ADD: also, i want to run the benchmark in hd tune (not file benchmark, the regular one), for write speed, but it says something about i need to remove all partitions to enable writing, but I only have one partition on the drive, and its for vista.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2009
  20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

mrk77,
    Be careful what you test with and read the fine print carefully. There are many drive test utilities that will wipe out the whole hard drive! I just tested mine with Sandra and Passmark and it's score is 63 on both, even though the little green gauge shows about 73. Good enough for me. Try using an IDE drive for a week, that will get you longing for your Sata pretty quick! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.