1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Couldnt have said it better myself. I love my sata drives. My poor AAKB 500gb ide drive is ran via usb due to the fact that my burners are taking up ALL available controllers. Really doesnt bother me. Its just a storage drive. It averages 20,000Kb/s write and read. Its all the usb controller will allow, is my guess. Certainly not maxing the usb header! The header should be upwards of 40-45,000Kb/s, not sure. Never seen the benchmark on USB. Cant wait for revision 3. Should be an interesting year ahead of us. MULTIPLE new technology releases.

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

omegaman7,
    Where you at? I have an IDE to Sata adapter you can have. It's only Sata 2 1.5Gb/s for a single Sata drive, but it would be a lot faster than a USB to Sata. You just plug the board into the IDE on the MB and plug the Sata cable into it. You may need to check and see if you will have to put a jumper on your Sata drive, although I doubt it. I've used it a couple of times and it seems to work fine. Like I say, you are welcome to it!

Best Regards,
    Russ

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Appreciate the offer but, Its an IDE drive, for one, and it is fast enough for what I use it. I transfer music, Small video clips, etc. So for the most part, its quick enough. THANK YOU though :D Gonna have to try and run another drive though soon, just to see it cross the 2TB threshold. It wouldnt do it a few weeks ago, but That QUITE possibly could have been due to insufficient power. I suppose its also possible, that the drive I tried connecting via usb, didnt like its jumper setting or the usb-ide adapter was malfunctioning, SOMETHING along those lines anyway. :)

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

My bad! I thought it was usb to Sata!

Russ

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

No No, I would never insult a sata connection like that, LOL. Cant wait for sata rev3 :D

6. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Hey Russ here's your case we talked about day b4 yesterday you like
    on sale at MicroCenter less than $100 brother..If you know it or not?I don't know if you gotta Micro Center near you or not..I gotta say..i kinda like it myself:)

http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0265324

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Holy Chit, Batman! LOL!! I'll be ordering one Friday! There's a MicroCenter in Tustin which is about 45 miles away! That is a great price and even if it doesn't work out for the x2 7750, when I put the 780G MB in Russell's computer, I'll use it then! That's a fantastic price man! Almost 50% off! Thanks Will! I owe you one!

Best Regards,
    Russ

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Bet you get NEWEGG pretty quick :D <-----Jealous! Tempting to buy one myself. But then i'd be living on Ramen for a couple weeks. Got some Bill catching up to do, LOL

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Correct, many utils won't allow you to test write performance without wiping all the data on the drive. Be careful of that!
    USB is limited to 30MB/s (240Mbps) exactly. Why the printed speed is double this I'm unsure, but you will never see more than 30MB/s of throughput, if it's in both directions it drops to 15 each way. USB3 is certainly going to be itnteresting.
    IDE to SATA dongles are a good idea though, they cost almost nothing and work pretty well.

Also, having recently re-installed the 750GB Barracuda into my PC:
    Before
    CPU Idle: 38ºC
    WD360GD: 39ºC
    HD753LJ: 36ºC
    Now
    CPU Idle: 40ºC
    WD360GD: 42ºC
    HD753LJ: 39ºC
    ST3750640AS: 52ºC (rose to 56 yesterday evening)
    I was unable to get the temperature of the Seagate below 48 celsius with the SFF21F at maximum speed.
    One does wonder, how much power is being used to create all that heat?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok all im learning more every day in here..lol
    i know a IDE hdd is slower than a SATA hdd but is there a difference in quality transferbetween the 2? i now have 1 segate barracuda 16mb cache 250gb sata and a WD GP 16mb cache,500gb sata. i just installed a segate 16mb cache 250gb IDE hdd. only for some extra storage. if i use it to store movies/pics/mp3 ect.... when i go to burn from that drive, i know it will be a little slower than the sata drive but will the quality be less than the sata?

wheres boozer been?

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The quality of a file depends on how it is encoded, the only way a file could become impared after having been encoded is if it became corrupted, i.e. data loss. Normally, Hard disks do not have that problem unless you use an nForce 6 chipset :p

Realistically, the burn speed from an IDE or S-ATA drive should be pretty much identical as even the fastest DVD speed, 22x is only 30.5MB/s, which is far from the 50+ that even older IDE hard drives can manage. Assuming the data on the drive is contiguous, it should have no trouble keeping up.

12. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Better call them first, that item is backordered.

13. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

cool so then useing hte drive for storage to pull/burn stuff from i should have no worries. just make sure the dirve has been defraged and all should be peaches..lol

i try not to put the info/data on one drive them move to another and back and forth. try to keep it on the drive im gonna burn from.

14. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

My MSI Platinum P35 mobo has gone to meet it's maker it seems.
    Have spent ages swapping around RAM sticks and whatnot, the posh & very clever mobo LED's constantly indicate that there's a problem with the RAM. Much swapping of sticks and slots and still nothing. Tried the RAM sticks in one of the Dell C2D machines, no problem at all.
    Am pretty sure i'm SOL getting it replaced as it's over a year old and ebuyer don't even sell them anymore (not yet sure if anyone else does yet). There's no way i am dismantling the 6 thousand wires and connections just to properly start from scratch, already broke my e-SATA to SATA lead earlier on. Have reset the CMOS yada yada yada.

So.... as much as it pains me... i'm going to plump for a replacement board ASAP. Any suggestions for me, i'm far too pissed off to google subjectively at the moment so am hoping you motherboard fanatics can point me in the right direction.
    Remember i have a Q6600 and 4x 1GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500 ram (well 1 of those sticks failed the other week so was making do with 2GB since then).

I'm probably going to want to stick with a P35 motherboard unless there's a cheap enough newer alternative - though i'm not bothered about future-proofing at this stage, am out of work so want to reuse all existing components.

(though if it's cheap enough i think it's time i got some Corsair Dominator's - however as i'll never bother with overclocking i'll make do with less than PC2-8500 IF it's definitely cheaper).

I will have to move movie encoding duties to one of the E6400 C2D machines for now, which aren't a patch on the Quad, and can still access all my data from USB2.0 backup drives (oh the joy of swapping loads of USB cables around)

Someone help me out pretty please before i ban myself :) :)

edit- oh and the more SATA ports the better (if possible), the MSI mobo has 5 slots, at least 6 would be good to avoid using one of those crappy e-SATA to SATA converter cables.
    In time i think i'll plump for an Antec 1200 as it's a major hassle trying to do anything in a fully loaded 900, no room to swing a chip's arse. (I hate SATA connectors, they're very badly designed crap but once they're in and you have enough room to avoid touching them they're ok).

15. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

16. creaky

Cheers, will have a look-see.
    I could care less who makes 'em as long as they work :)
    Can't tell you how pissed off i am, i was trying to fit a Corsair Ram fan, guess i must've damaged the board somehow. Now you see one of the main reasons why i build a pc, leave well alone and that way they last for years. Gutted :p

I don't want to spend a bean but i feel naked without the Quad, not sure i can be arsed configuring DVD Rebuilder on the C2D. Oh hang on i have a feeling it's on there already,,,, hmmm...

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

sorry to hear about it going south on ya. i would be pissed as well. hey if/when you do get another board. id try and contact MSI and see if they will rma it for ya. whats the worse they can say no????

here is a ASUS board. kinda cheap(mobo wise) and it is a good popular board as well. it also has 6 reg sata and 2 esata plugins.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131299

and works well with the quad cores.

EDIT:
    hey now i have a C2D and my dvd-reb times arent that bad 45 mins on average... some faster some longer.im sure your quad is much faster,but i dont have one so im happy with my C2D..lol

18. creaky

Cheers for the links Rob, looking at all those shortly.
    Rebuilder was on there, just updated it to the latest, and added vobblanker to clean up after DVDFab's rips. That's all i need to do really on the C2D. The C2D's i have aren't too shabby, E6400 2.13Ghz with varying amounts of RAM, 160GB hard drives (pah! at 160GB!) but they'll do the job for now. Just need to dig out a few USB cables for the weekend so the girls and i can access the movie backup drives thru the xboxes. Then i can concentrate on the mobo links, keep 'em coming, it's very rare that i read component specs, that'll keep me busy for a while.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Those UD3 motherboards are certainly good performers, I'd probably recommend going with those to prevent any issues regarding a Quad core's power consumption. However, the EP43-DS3L is probably substantially cheaper and still quite well featured.

20. creaky

Keep 'em coming, i need cheering up. Or the Guinness gets it :p

vobblanker's complete, time for some C2D Rebuilder action...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.