1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Thanks, i don't like e-SATA anyways. What caught my eye so far is that the GA-EP43-DS3L has 12 USB ports. Now we're talking...
    If eventually i get an Antec 1200 i can get one or more Promise TX4 cards for more internal SATA drives, the WD5000AAKS are very cheap lately, well the last time i checked anyway. But those ideas will have to keep :)

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

4. creaky

This was all i could find on ebuyer - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/152616 it's way more expensive.
    Can i trust that site Sam ? (haven't heard of them before is all), in case i get itchy trigger fingers

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You've not heard of ebuyer? :O
    I'm kind of aghast at that, ebuyer is the first online store I've ever used, they're probably one of the largest in the country. In the past ebuyer had soso support and speed, but in the last couple of years they've done very well for themselves, and I certainly haven't had any problems their end. Now the citylink drivers are a slightly different story, but if you happen to live in a 'good' area, there's very little reason not to use ebuyer.

That board you've chosen however, is monumentally expensive for what it is, i.e. a basic P43 board with a DDR3 socket on it. Unfortunately since the motherboard market has been hit hardest by the collapse of our economy, finding a replacement board isn't going to be cheap, Mobos have genuinely doubled in price.
    This is the most reasonably priced of them on the ebuyer site:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/145686
    Or then there's this
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=894360

6. creaky

Cheers for the links.
    As to Ebuyer, been using them for 5years now, i can't fault them. But yes, i've been keeping up with the City Link horror threads over at the ebuyer forums (though i think i'm one of the oldest posters over there). I've always been lucky with City Link myself, i always seem to live in areas where the drivers/service are good. And that goes for RMA'ing stuff too.

It's the motherboard choices that i'm no good at, i'm (slowly) comparing the features on the boards you guys are providing, and seeing what's what, and see what falls out the bottom.

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Sorry about your machine, buddy. :( I would be VERY upset. As my backup computer is VERY outdated. My HP pavilion alot of you guys have heard me chat about. Lol, Check this out! Think I need to clean my case up a bit? Im constantly reconfiguring. The PSU's got me a bit intimidated. ALOT ALOT of cable to route. Its tempting to just get a SUPER case. You know... A FREAK LOL.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Almost uploaded the RAW uncompressed images. I dont think people would appreciate that! LOL

8. creaky

Wow, you need to get a housekeeper in for those wires :)
    I half-broke a SATA cable as well as the e-SATA to SATA converter cable, luckily i have a few spare cables anyway.

I hate SATA connectors. I see Rob also broke a SATA connector on an optical drive earlier. It must be catching

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Non-modular PSUs, ugh. As for S-ATA connectors, I've not broken one from a PSU, but the cheap splitter ones I have.

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yah, I DO! LOL. Definetely agree about the sata cables. Sure seem cheap dont they? Hate um, but I love'um LOL

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I read something about modular that shy'd me away. Something about inconsistancy/unstable power. Really doesnt bother me. :()

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

omegaman7,
    Definition of a Blivet! Those pictures! Ten pounds of Chit in a 5 Lb. sack! LOL!! You could use a full tower that's about 4 foot tall! LOL!!

Just funnin with ya! :)

Russ

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL russ! Yah... I really need to clean her up. LOL, I was tinkering 5min out of bed. :D <------FREAK. Wanted to get my second Optiarc in my case. My LG turned out to be a disapointment. I will slap it in a external eventually though.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Omegaman: It's garbage, some people tried to have us on here that it made a difference, while conspiracy theories came about for the metal plated connectors on some PSUs like the Hiper Type-Rs, the plastic clip style connectors in PSUs are the exact same things used to power graphics cards, and you don't see people moaning about those.
    What disappointed you about the LG drive? Not had any problems with mine so far.

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Inconsistant burn quality, Even more erratic buffer issues than the optiarc, SLOW SLOW ripper. It will serve a purpose, not sure what yet. But I dont always have time to check (actually watch the movie, check the data, etc) the discs for flaws. With my lite-ons, and optiarcs, They've proven themselves performers (I Can trust them) :D Yes, im critical.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Modular PSUs are not without their problems either. I've had a couple of them where someone added a HDD 6 months after setting up the computer and the end that plugs into the PSU arced from oxidation. Rare, but it does happen! I use contact cleaner when I install the modular leads!

The only problem I ever had with a Sata power connector was my fault. I couldn't see well enough and didn't want to move the computer and tried to put the power connection on the drive backwards. The little part of the "L" broke off Works fine though. Both my WD and the Hatachi have both molex and the Sata power connectors. I've tried both and prefer the solid molex. That and it's easier to make my wires neater. My thermaltake has extremely long wires, so they are much easier to hide the excess and the ones I'm not using.

Russ

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Surely it's the other way round? It oxidised because it arc'ed. I haven't encountered it myself, but I wouldn't put anything past a cheap PSU of course.

18. greensman

greensman Regular member

O-man7 you might look for some patched f/w for the LG. They are known as good writers and some of the LG's are the best for ripping certain media. LIKE PS2 or XBOX games if memory serves. ;) IIRC you ordered one of the newer LG's and it might take a while before some "different" f/w comes out for it. ;)

....gm

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Oh... I wasnt knocking it too hard. ;) I just have ALOT to back up right now, and I need consistency! I wanna play with it more, but no time right now. I wanna reinstall windows this weekend, among other things :D

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oxidation is not caused by arcing! It's caused by the air and aggravated by moisture. That's part of the reason lots of electronic stuff is packaged with little silica-gel packs because Silica-gel lowers the dew point by absorbing any moisture in the package or box. Rust is a form of oxidation. Copper turning green is. Arcing is just what it says, the electricity arcs between the two points of the connection and leaves carbon deposits, which in turn eventually start to burn. It also generates heat, as in arc welding and is caused mostly by poor connections. Molex plugs in old underpowered power supplies used to do it all the time in computers, especially when CD Rom drives first came out. It didn't used to be uncommon at all for the white plastic of the molex plug to turn yellow, then brown and finally even melt because of the heat created by the arcing.

Best Regards,
    Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.