1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You don't have to format with every upgrade, usually only if you switch chipset brands.

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I don't have lot's of permanent files. I burn my movies on DVDs and I backup all important documents and game saves on a memory card.

3. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

im pretty sure a mobo swap means a fresh installation (but then i only work with OEM OSes (vista and XP, i dont pirate them) so maybe its different for retail.

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I think it's only if your new motherboard is changing chipsets.

Anyway I have all my important files on my Laptop. I will transfer them over to my desktop once I have it built.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Going from the basic mATX board in an Advent PC to a P31-DS3L worked fine, as did a LANParty RDX200 to an A8R-MVP, and A8N-SLI SE to P5N-E SLI, but not P5N-E SLI to P35C-DS3R. I think the clue is in keeping the same chipset manufacturer.

6. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

abuzar1..I can strongly recommend Lite-On DVD RW, SATA or IDE. I've personally bought 12 from NewEgg, this year, have yet to have one fail. Also 4 Friends who also own them, think they are great. I've got no use for
    LightScribe,but definetly want Bitsetting. As far as Speed goes, I never burn over 8x,so 22x vs.20x not that important.Now from what I've read and understand Sonys do not bitset (not a quote) I could be wrong. But mine does not bitset(fact) I only buy DVD-R, but on occasion end up with DVD+R. As an addict you probably know more then
    me in regards to all this. Best regards, Good luck.

21122112..Where do U get the firmware, to upgrade to Bitset

Don't all these game boxes need to be MODED

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Rick, I'm going to have to get the samsung because that's one of the only drives that will work with Xbox 360 games. BTW, the game boxes do have to be modded to pay these backups. I have my Xbox 360 flashed and I have modchips in my PS1, PS2(unfortunately they dont make them for PS3 yet) and Xbox.

8. 21122112

21122112 Member

I got my Firmware for the Sony/Nec Optaric 7200S from Liggy & Dee. here is a link.

http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/Optiarc-AD-7200A/

Find your drive and what you want(bitsetting) and Download it... You will need the Binflash program to do this.

For the AD7200S you will need Liggy's AD7200s bitsetting firmware 1.06

Here is the link to binflash
    http://binflash.cdfreaks.com/

Mr.Abuzar1
    I dont mean any disrespect, but why do you think that drive is the only one that can burn Xbox games? My close friend has an array of different drives and he backs up all his kids Xbox games with everyone of them??

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I haven't purchased a DVDRW in almost two years. Largely because I have 9 drives in my desktops and 1 in my laptop. They are mostly still IDE drives but I've seen no serious performance differences that matter in my IDE drive when compared to my SATA drives.

I have a mixture of 9 DVDRRW drives and two playback drives

1. Plex 712A
    2. Plex 716
    3. 2 X Asus drives (can't remember models
    4. 2 X NEC ND 3550A
    5. 3 X Lite-On iHAS220-06
    6. The one in my laptop is also a light scribe can't remember make, because I don't use it much over the summer except when traveling.

For HD DVD playback I'm using an Xbox HD DVD drive
    For Blu-Ray playback BD DH401S.

I can't say that I have a complaint with any of them. They all do what I ask of them without fault.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

With the highest DVD speed of 22x only reaching 30.5MB/s, the limitations of ATA probably won't be apparent. S-ATA is really just useful for the smaller cable...

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The cable is the one irritation that I have with IDE drives, because I do prefer the smaller footprint of SATA cables, but in the performance department fir burning the difference isn't worth discussing. Now with a Blu-Ray drive playing back with a bitrate that often exceeds 30 Mbps I think and IDE might have a problem. I will eventually move all drives to SATA as they begin to fail but I see no reason to purchase a new drive just to have SATA when my IDE drives work just fine.

12. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Do what I did, get round IDE Cables. A lot easier to tuck away, & work with. A definet PLUS

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nice as round cables are, the plugs at the end are still a pain, and the cable itself is still much bigger than that of S-ATA cables. If you're a neat and tidy person then S-ATA cables are also easier to route.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    How did you get the report of the S.M.A.R.T. information for your HDD? I just enabled my S.M.A.R.T. in the setup, but have no idea how to generate a report like you did.

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Speedfan does it.

16. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Indeed. i backup xbox games (old xboxes not the 'Red Ring of Death' xbox 360's) on any of my burners, as long as the games are copied correctly you can use pretty much any burner

17. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

@Sophocles

Is that Plextor 716 you got for sale..lol been looking for 1 of
    them Old schools...

@abuzar1

if want sammy burner that bad..i got old sh-w162 ide sitting over here i don't even use No more it's just sitting and old case $20 buck lol..

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2008
  18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

21122112 and Creaky, I am talking about COPYING XBOX 360 GAMES. lol It's not for burning and it's not for the regular Xbox. The Samsung is one of the few drives that can be flashed with Kreon firmware so it can READ 360 games.

Lol Being an addict means I just post a lot. I have basically NO IDEA when it comes to DVD drives. That Samsung seems to work well for people and it's one of the four drives that are capable of reading Xbox 360 games so that's why I'm getting it.

Bigwill, unfortunately your drive wont work for my purposes. And it's IDE... I can't stand IDE anymore lol.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  19. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

and some of you lot complain when we talk about gfx :p

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Alright SCREW THAT. I STILL need a DVD BURNER!!! The stupid drive is DVD-ROM.

Damn I'm so pissed off now I'll probably just get a damn Lite-On DVD Burner and be done with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.