1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well now! This is interesting. Newegg changed the ability of my board to 4gb. Ok... Now im stumped. What do you guys think.
    1.My Board Bought through newegg.
    2. Afterdawns listing of my board
    Oddly its calling my chipset 2 different things now. both mcp61 and nforce 405. Any thoughts on both these counts? Should I contact msi for a DIRECT answer. Because if my board will support more ram, Im gonna hold off on the build for a few more months.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'd trust MSI over Newegg, if I'm honest...

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

sam, mean to say all this time you are not honest.

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Indeed! Well, according to msi, IT CAN :D
    [​IMG]
    Can be found here those interested

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

most motherboards these days have some sort of software overclocking. The New AMD Overdrive is considerably more sophisticated than those. You can even tune the individual cores and their frequencies, voltages and so on, separately. Virtually all the overclocking features in the setup can be set with it! It even benchmarks your changes, so you can see if you are accomplishing something with your tweaks in real time!

I don't know if you've ever noticed it, but maximum clock speed is not always the best overclock. There, Synthetic benchmarks lie to you a bit because their numbers are not the actual performance of the CPU, only a synthesized estimate. Factors that remain unseen can have considerable impact in how well your OC actually works in the real world. That's why I could get my E4300 to about 32,500 MIPS, or about the same as the e6750, yet encode times for the E4300 are about 15 minutes longer! With a 533MHz higher fsb and 4MB L2 instead of only 2MB it equals better and faster performance because of higher throughput! That reflects in the benchmarks to a certain degree, but no where near reflecting a considerable gain like that! That's why finding the Processor's sweet spot is more important than overall clock speed, in my eyes. Find that sweet spot and tweak everything else around it and you wind up with a fine running computer. Unless you are into extreme Overclocking or fps in games, which belong in the Overclocking thread anyway, you should be very happy with the performance, and it just feels more user friendly and comfortable to use! I always say, "It's like finding an Old Friend"!

Russ

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I wouldn't even bother installing it. It's "So Stone Age"! What you can adjust with EasyTune doesn't hold a candle to what AMD Overdrive offers, virtually all the tweaks available in the bios that can save to the bios! That's some neat Freekin Shit!

Russ

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Wow russ, that does sound ADVANCED! Cant wait to toy around with such abilities. I love learning new things. Learning ALOT ALOT lately.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Don't sweat it, it's a misprint. I checked the site and it's 16GB!

Russ

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I agree on the sweet spot, I find my CPU is always faster when it's further from the 'maximum overclock' so to speak, presumably because of stability problems that don't get picked up?

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Just being able to tweak each core by itself without affecting the others is pretty amazing to me! Should be helpful in leveling the playing field and the Luck of the Draw! Voltages and Frequencies can be adjusted as well as other things for each core right from the desktop! Unless I'm missing something here, to me that means you are establishing the limits for each individual core, so 1 so-so core won't hinder 3 excellent ones and wind up allowing a little better overclock for the whole Chip! Did you notice the 3.5GHz using just the CPU multiplier at stock 1.35v? that's pretty impressive considering the first batch of Phemom IIs tested a couple of months ago struggled to get to 3.3 to 3.4GHz. With a voltage range of 0.875 to 1.5 Volts for the Denab 940. In that overclocking information from Extreme Overclocking they only needed to exceed 1.5 volts by .025v to get to 4.0GHz, and it would even boot up at 4.3GHz at the same voltage of 1.525!

Russ

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

AMD are slowly getting there, and I admit, individual core speed is neat, one of the advantages of finally showing through of entirely separate physical cores, rather than Intel's cut and paste approach. That said, 10-15% at stock voltage needs to be upped, there are quite a lot of people out there who do overclock but stick to whatever works without voltage alteration, and such a procedure with a Core 2 Quad typically nets 20% gains if not more, for the cheaper models, further still for the Core 2 Duos, sometimes as much as 50%.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Another nice thing I found is that some AM2+ chips already contain ACC information built in from what they've learned from all the settings used to overclock, so using The ACC for those chips doesn't help the OC a lot! LOL!! The 940 scales a little over 25%, from 3.0 to 3.8GHz on the right MB. According to everything I've read, 3.6 to 3.8GHz is pretty easy to do, and uses surprisingly little voltage boost to get there! It still needs to use more clock cycles than Intels do, but they are getting closer every time they introduce or release something new. Remarkably, AMD's strategy is to let other people do the cheering for them! AMD supplies specs and things like that or pops in a correction if needed, but for the most part AMD has been very silent! I much like AMD's chances for survival, much better today than I did 6 months ago! That's a good thing for all of us!

Russ

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Lol, You must be joking. Ha ha ha.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

You know me, if it don't make sense, it's often wrong! I kept wondering why the top of the line MB only supported 8MB, so I went and looked it up! It's 16MB!! no Joke!

Russ

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL. Carefull :) <-----gullible here. You just might make a believer out of me rofl

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Nah! It's wrong. Wrong motherboard. It is only 4GB. I had just been talking about the high end GigaByte 790GX, so you can understand the mistake. It was listed as 8GB at newegg, instead of the actual 16GB. Sry for the mistake!!

Russ

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL, IM SORRY. I feel like that one blew right over my head here. Thanks for the correction though. :D A buddy of mine has the EXACT same build as I do. He's thrilled to here its new spec! See... for months (over a yr) its said 2gb throughout MOST the web. Couldnt get a straight answer. And I didnt wanna fry my computer for what little performance gain it would be, UNTIL NOW. Windows 7 I BELIEVE would like a little more ram. Atleast then I can trouble shoot a little better that way. Its a good thing this is a multi core. I get one core locking up every now and again, opening up IE 8. Kinda weird. Seems to only happen when I close it, and then IMMEDIATELY try to reopen it.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

omegaman7,
    I had been communicating with someone else on another thread about whether newegg had the specs right, about the same type of problem question you had. that one turned out to be a misprint. it was only maybe 5-10 minutes before! I just answered answered the wrong person! LOL!! I had the right answer, just delivered it to the wrong person! ROFLMSOAO!!

Russ

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Are you feeling ok Russ? LOL, totally kidding. Is their much performance difference in latency between 5 and 4? Rather considerable price difference, is it even worth my going latency 4 or even 3? I am aware of the lower latencies being quicker. Just, HOW much quicker?

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I guess it depends on the speed of the memory. If it's DDR2 PC8500 1066 memory, it might all right. But if it's PC3200 800 memory, your not going to be able to overclock the memory enough to really matter. Bandwidth is going to suffer with the PC3200 memory, but should improve if it's PC8500 memory!

Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.