1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

This board supports NO more than 6400 800mhz SO CALLED. CPU-Z reports 400mhz. I suppose thats just as well though. Its not kingston crucial or mushkin for that matter. Whats your opinion on Gskill? Quite alot of good reviews. When I first got them, I contacted either MSI or Gskill, I think MSI, and they said, "its an AMD thing" More or less! That they underclock I mean. Who is the hands down LORD of all ram? I hear good things about Mushkin. But ever since I began my venture in computers, KINGSTON has been the most talked about. And heck, At first boot it was reporting 333mhz. I tweaked a setting in the bios, and now it runs at 400. I dont believe it will allow more than that. It did the same thing on a successor board. VERY similar build but newer board.

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well... Boy do I feel stupid. Especially if im mistaken yet again. The Phenom 2 is infact an am3 processor isnt it??? Its simply backward compatible, so newegg categorizes it as am2+ If this is correct, when can we expect a GENUINE am3 board? You know, the lord of all boards! Please excuse my ignorance, ive tipped back a few tonight ;)

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Not quite yet it isn't. That's supposed to be the next thing to come out in a few months. AM3 will be backwards compatible with AM2+, and contain support for DDR3 as well as DDR2 on AM2+. The present Phenom II is only AM2+!

Russ

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Hmmm... Im gonna wait for some good feedback on the upcoming releases. I dont feel like being a guinea pig, for a new technology thats gonna cost CONSIDERABLE dough. Windows 7 is one thing (FREE TO TEST), buying expensive hardware is another, and im not quite confident enough to be playing around with 1000$ worth of hardware. LOL, I suppose ive putten more than that in my rig though, uhh :D

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL, I thought this was kinda funny. And it costs a friggin grand!!!
    [​IMG]
    This sucker (right here) would make my case look like a babies toy!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

omegaman7,
    It's my extreme pleasure to introduce you to the most Bad-Ass case you will ever likely see. This is a video of the Doom 3, Mars Project. The amount of ingenuity and time was incredible! Bear with the video as they do eventually get to the point of showing you the whole case!

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=a89yRqqK1T8

This is how they did it in pictures!

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=802808

Enjoy, and close your mouth! ROFLMSOAO!!

Russ

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Dude... thats some SERIOUS creativity if I ever did see it. Lol, all this FREAK case talk reminds me of the case I saw at the PC shop in town. Largest case ive seen in person. It looked like it could house ATLEAST 2 1/2 ATX boards. I exagerate you NOT! I like large things, what can I say. Even if a super computer could fit in my desk drawer, I'd want something larger!
    Speaking of super computers, have any of you read up on the tesla processors? They sound pretty impressive. EXTREMELY expensive, but who knows in a couple of years, uhh! From what I read, any computer with a Pci-e x16 slot (rev2), could be upgraded to supercomputer status. VERY interested :D
    Awesome pics man. Thanks. They need to come over to my place and have fun with my rig, LOL

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Scroll through the build stills. It took some major serious stuff here to make this all work as a unit! That is one Bad-Assed Mother Frogger!

Russ

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL, Thats some VERY serious ingenuity! I dont believe I could dream up such a feat! Atleast not yet, :) Perhaps someday I can play around like that. Definetly gonna need more money to play with. VERY cool to look at though :D

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

When you read all through the still pictures, you can see it become an act of love for what he's creating. Seriously Talented as well! It was given away as some Game Magazines first Prize in a Sponsored Contest! One Lucky SOB!

Very glad I remembered it! Glad you liked it!

Russ

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Lucky indeed. I just hope he appreciates it as much as he should. I know I would.

12. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Well...I feel these two here are twins just like 590 & 690 are but that they are made of two different type of material they hold the same fans dimensions and hdd rack style the same,one just cost alittle than thee other..but I like that pop up Front Ports the 840 has..:)

Cooler Masters

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2009
  13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

WOW WOW WOW Will!!! I didnt know the fans got that big. Never really thought about it though. I have a 120 in my pci area, and I thought that was good size. Noisy little guy too. Its agreeable though. Im gonna have to look into one of those 230mm fans, :D Im sure the gpu would thank me for it.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

220, 230 and 250mm fans are a bit of a con really, they usually make a lot of noise due to their size, or push very little air as they spin so slowly (despite their size). They aren't designed with the same stringency as 40/60/80/120/140mm fans, and usually because of their size they aren't easy to fit into a case in an intelligent design (i.e. one where the airflow route covers all components sufficiently and doesn't create too much of a pressure difference). The best big fan I've seen is Antec's 200mm as fitted to the 900, 1200 and P190. It can spin up to 850rpm which is plenty for its size, and while it's not too quiet at that speed, it is a very subtle broadband noise that doesn't annoy.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Well Kiddies,
    My new E6750 with GO stepping is on it's way from Intel! It should be here by Friday, so I can finally get my computer back to normal speed!

A word about Eloctro-Migration. Intel has already warned that with certain CPUs, the maximum voltage, if exceeded "will" cause problems down the road! They claim for the Wolfdales, that it isn't a question of "if", but "when"!

I would warn everyone that if you have ever run CPU voltages on a C2D over their limits, and you suddenly start having strange problems with your computer, try a different CPU if at all possible. If your memory shows tons of errors with memtest like mine did, check the memory in another machine. I got zero errors checking my memory in two other machines. A sure sign would be corrupted files for no reason at all. not only that, stored files that are rarely used are vulnerable too. I lost 3 programs I hadn't used since I last set the computer up, that would no longer open because of corrupt files, which thankfully I had backups for! Also be warned that if you format the hard drive to do a fresh OS install, disconnect all HDDs but your boot drive. I formated my C drive only to unknowingly format the E drive on my second drive as well. Took more than 2 1/2 hours to recover the drive! It had all of my software on it!

Rob can tell you just how much fun it is to figure out what's wrong, especially after stress testing showed no problems. There are probably other signs as well, but I'm only mentioning my own experiences while trying to make the folks here understand that you will pull the hair out of your head in frustration, trying to diagnose this particular problem. I know I thought I had solved the problems in mine 3 times, before I switched CPUs. I've had no problems since, and I'm keeping the D-940 as a tool to check CPUs with!

Best Regards,
    Russ

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

VERY NICE tidbit russ. This will now be foremost on my mind! Thankfully, neither amd nor intel release too many DOA's uhh! Pretty rare IMO. I suppose if it were to happen to me, i'd shrug it off. NO company is perfect. Well... except me, LOL :D

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

omegaman7,
    Yeah well, I put 1.57v on it just to see 4.0GHz. Not to terribly bright in retrospect! Actually, mine has been dying for about 8-9 months. I just never in a million years expected it to die the way it did! I was just expecting it to quit one day. Knowing what I know now, I would have pulled it a month earlier and saved me some hair! LOL!! I remember at the time intel was warning us, all the Extreme Overclocker Forums were advocating 1.6v. Of course they are not going to admit it now! LOL!! Bet they replaced a fair few CPUs though! ROFL!!

Russ

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thinking about the size of processors, 1.5-1.6 v does seem like a bit of power. However, at the same time, what do you suppose it is that fails in the cpu, that cant take that kinda juice. Surely they've discovered means for a better...Resistance? Ahhh yes, Of course. Perhaps they have, but the materials cost more than the average man can afford. And besides that, were in a kinda green revolution at the moment, so there's no real push for it? Any thoughts?

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

omegaman7,
    Think of it as the electronic paths inability to contain the electrons. It's like a hose with too much pressure springing leaks except that in the case of a CPU, where you have electrons going to the wrong places. That's what makes diagnosing the problem so difficult as you never know what to expect next. It would not let me install XP-Pro SP2, only the original XP install disk, because of disk errors. That alone should have started me thinking about the CPU. Next time I'll know better! LOL!!

Russ

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Way to paint a picture. VERY good explanation. Is their not some kinda utility that can warn you when something like thats happening. Ahhh... When a cpu is fowling up, how COULD it know. A faulty component, cant very well test itself, LOL. Perhaps multi cpu is the way than. Basically every processor covers the others butt, :D Dont ask me how to implement that though, I wouldnt know where to begin. I just HEARD of linux about a yr ago. Havnt worked up the confidence to give it a go yet. But I do have a spare computer laying around doing nothing, Perhaps its time :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.