1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HazelB

HazelB Member

Hint, hint...

Install Ubuntu 8.04, using entire disk or the partition that hosted XP.
    Turn right around and install any other op-sys you want.

Apparently this resets the HDD. At least it works for me, every time.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My Q9550 had 1.75V for a couple of hours courtesy of Gigabyte's F4e BIOS auto voltage setting. So far, it doesn't seem to have damaged it.

3. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

It is actually alot easier than you think. Most people think that linux is really hard to use and to learn but it isn't. If you have a spare machine laying around why not install linux on it? Ubuntu would be a good place to start because there is a large community that can help with anything you need. you can download an iso from

www.ubuntu.com

If you don't need any of the data on the hdd you can tell the installer to use the entire drive. setup is simple and doesn't take too long. Experimenting with it is the best way to learn how to use it. look through tutorials on how to set stuff up and compile source code and you will have no problem learning it. If you want more help with this you can go to the linux forum.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

We keep trying but most in here love Windows too much :)

5. spamual

spamual Guest

(specifically XP)

6. creaky

I post on the ebuyer forums (though not too much as most over there are way too young therefore a lot of topics get spoilt and the site has an annoying 'Rep' system so people Rep each other for everything except breathing, but i digress) and there's more discussion re Windows 7 Beta over there (and a similar amount of Vista defensive posting LOL).
    Anyways, I tried the Beta on my AMD laptop but the CPU runs 100% at idle. It seems to be a problem with AVG but haven't got around to using the Beta very much as haven't found any info on the AVG problems yet. Don't want to try an alternative to AVG as am happy with it on all machines thus far.

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yah...I LOVE xp. Certainly for day to day. But I think ultimately, Windows 7 is going to success soon enough. its running EXTREMELY smooth. I cant believe its a beta. MINOR complications with drivers. But im aware of ways to manually replace native drivers with ones I need. Which linux would have the most eye candy? My GPU can take it. I dont want some 2000 looking OS. I gave up on linux before, because it was SOOO different. Its not that im intimidated per say, I simply havnt had enough time. I do have the ability to run both my computers to the same monitor though. Im gonna do it this weekend. Let the fun begin. Sorry about off topic ladies and germs, LOL :D

Im running avg, Seems to be ok! :)

8. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

Ubuntu has plenty of eye candy built in. It should be enabled by default, and unlike windows when when the eye candy is disabled it still looks decent. vista and windows 7 look like crap without aero on.

creaky
    Is avg set to scan the computer when you turn it on? That would cause the cpu to be loaded up.

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ubuntu, Uhh? Thanks buddy! :D Looking into it now.

10. creaky

No i always disable the scheduled scans. I had brief success by disabling/restarting the Resident Shield.
    As i say i need to mess with it and the Beta more, but so far all i read are good things about the Beta, hopefully it will put Vista out of it's misery when 7 goes live :O

11. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

I wouldn't even worry about having anti virus when using the beta anyway. Just use the built in windows defender and firewall and you will be fine. I really like windows 7 so far. I have it installed in a vm and it runs great.

12. creaky

I must admit, in all my years of pc use, and years of downloading half the internet, i've only ever been bitten by one virus, and that was a very minor one.
    Of course in Linux we don't need virus checkers (As Windows is the biggest virus LOL), but in Linux i do use clamd, just because it's there to install though.

13. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

lol. I don't have anti virus installed on windows 7 and I probably won't install any. As long as you aren't clicking random links you wont catch anything.

14. redice

redice Regular member

krj15489

which vm are you using to run windows7?

15. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

vmware workstation 6

16. creaky

I use Sun's Virtualbox under Linux, though i think it can be used under Windows too

17. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

Yes, there is a windows version of virtual box.

18. redice

redice Regular member

would you happen to know how to make screen full in Virtualbox? i am using it in windows but i guess that its done the same in all of them.

19. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I know Microsoft is a curse word to some, but their FREE virtual PC works quite well also in my experience (havent used virtualbox or VMware so cant really compare, but I'm happy).
    Fullscreen is no problem and can also D/L a plugin to share folders with regular Windows.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Deadrum,
    I quite agree. I used it to install Win 98, and it worked fine. Drivers were the problem for the hardware with 98 though!

Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.