1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

OH YAH!!! I'll be getting my new ram today. Though I wont see it til probably 11am. about 11 hours from now. It may not seem like much, to some of you, but its a big step up from where im at now. Im running 2gb of Gskill 6400 Latency 6 right now. Tomorrow, i'll be running 4gb of Kingston 6400 Latency 5. Im sure my High Dpi authoring, as well as Windows 7 will appreciate it! See... when I reauthor photo's at 600Dpi, and make drastic alterations (I DO), it begins to use ALOT of ram. ive seen my Windows 7 Ram gadget hit 98% useage while authoring one time. Thankfully, that was during the save process. Had it been before, Id of gotten that wonderful, "Virtual memory is low" error. Its come close in Windows xp as well. Though that was with a 1200 Dpi document. Im installing Windows 7 64bit this weekend. 32bit seems to be error free, for the most part. NOW, I can REALLY play! :D
    Here is my ram, for those who are curious LINKY

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Hey Omegaman7,
    I managed to get Win 7 all installed, and everything installed except there was no driver for the SM Bus. I played around with it for half the day and It certainly has "Entertainment" value! The I rebooted, and blew it half up. I assumed that I would have to use the boot manager because it said you couldn't dual boot with XP, only Vista!

I selected the drive and that's the last time it worked! ROFL!! Turns out that it has it's own boot manager, and I screwed something up in the Win 7 install that it couldn't fix! I can boot into XP by selecting "Other Operating System", but no Win 7! Did I mention that there is no Un-install Program for Win 7? It won't let you Format the partition or manually remove Win 7. I had to run Killdisk II on the partition, and then had to remount the drive and format it! I can't remember when the last time was that I had to mount a drive! Thank God for Windows help as it actually works! ROFLMSOAO!!

Russ

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

:) sounds like a heck of a day! I hope my day doesnt turn sour today. I have a bit to accomplish. I cant wait to see how 64bit runs with my new ram. Or 32 for that matter. It almost seems adaptive! Is that possible? See Most the time, I average 50% Ram useage. Even in idle. But then I'll go to reauthor High Dpi photos, and when I exit, It'll drop to 20-25% useage. Isnt that funny? Ive seen it do that EVERY time since I noticed it the first time. Unfortunately, I didnt note its overall useage at FIRST bootup. Im kicken myself for it too.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

CAS6 PC6400? I didn't know such a thing existed...
    Russ, that's basically the same as Vista, in fact exactly the same I believe. Windows Vista and 7 both have to be the last thing you install, and you can't remove them afterwards without blanking the entire drive.

5. spamual

spamual Guest

well win 7 IS vista :D

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Correction - Windows 7 is what Vista should have been, and from everything i've read, Windows 7 is here because Vista isn't what it should have been.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

8. spamual

spamual Guest

kernel wise, its NT 6.1, vista is 6.0. its vitsa, optomised with a new taskbar :D

just liek XP was windows 2000 spruced up :)

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

and just like Me was 98 spruced up... :O
    A lot can change in a revision, sometimes for the worse, sometimes for the better. Hopefully in this case the latter!

10. spamual

spamual Guest

if you really think that windows 7 is a big change from vista, like xp was from 98, then you'll be disapointed

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL, is that sarcasm I smell + a grin? Thats ok, I can take it. Believe me, I would VERY much love to run lat 3 or even 2.5(2.5 doesnt exist as far as I know), but they're alot more expensive, and this computer has become a lost cause. NO quad support, NO High wattage support! So yes, its a lost cause. I dont wanna MAXX MAXX my board either. With the low latency, its that much harder it has to work. Besides 5 is a step up, IF IT WORKS! And I must admit, 6 seemed to work quite nicely. Most people who sit down to my computer, are BLOWN AWAY at how smooth/streamlined it is. :D

12. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I for one don't expect it to be much different to Vista other than it being much more responsive, especially on less-than-latest machines. 7's being built on Vista code, and (as per my previous post), all i expect from 7 is to be what Vista should have been in the first place. If the retail version lives up to the hype and proves to be a much more responsive OS than Vista, then i'm interested. If it ends up being as top-heavy as Vista, then i'm not. Simple really :)

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Believe it or not Newegg has PC6400 Cas 6! 19 of them.

Cas 6 Memory
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010170147 1052108080 1052526967&name=6

I have no idea what the point of saving old windows is except to run it, if you can't uninstall 7. Another strange thing is it see's the other drive but you can't access it and it doesn't show the partitions. The Taskbar is a little different like when using Everest Ultimate 450 it groups the temperatures in a little pop up window. I'm sure I'll get to know all the in's and outs. I do like it though. Much friendlier than Vista. It installed every device except the SM Bus driver, which there's no driver for at present. Even Sandra installed, despite saying that it couldn't recognize the OS. Programs that wouldn't work at all with Vista or even install, worked fine with 7. I'm not sure I like the lack of options we are used to with XP. You no longer get to do things like not hiding your taskbar icons. I couldn't find any settings for that. Still like I said, it does have entertainment value and doesn't have all the Security BS and annoying pop-up windows of vista!

I just answered the door, and my E6750 is here! Now I've got my project for the weekend! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Spamual: I don't, I just see it as Vista without the general badness. So far, everything I've read shows that to be accurate.
    Omegaman: No seriously, I had never seen CAS6 PC6400 for sale, I've only seen CAS4 and CAS5, and still do except for that link from newegg. Perhaps it's limited to sale in the US?

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I meant no offense :) Yah, they make them that slow. But given the 6400 speed, cas 6 is actually ok. Infact, ive seen 7 once upon a time. Dont remember where, probably newegg though. Its where I do most of my shopping :D

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I suppose, thinking about it, PC3200 CAS3 existed, so there's no reason for PC6400 CAS6 not to. PC6400 CAS7 really does surprise me though.

17. spamual

spamual Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2009
  18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes, PC8500 CAS6 I've seen, but not PC6400 CAS6.

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ive noticed when ram is first released, they have slower cas lat available. Now whether or not thats do to perfecting the technology or making it more affordable... I dont know.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

What I don't understand is why you are buying Cas 5, when for $2 more you can get the Kingston HyperX Cas 4?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104043

Even for the Same price you could have gotten the lower voltage G.Skill which is very highly rated memory!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231209

Puzzling!
    Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.