1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

As ive said, And I apologize if this sounds rude, Mean no offense, but...
    1. This computer is a lost cause.
    2. Its a step up
    3. I dont wanna over load it anyway (Lower lat could cause problems??? Make my system work that much harder)
    4. Im not entirely sure it'll support the ram anyway!!!
    AND I love Kingston

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  2. greensman

greensman Regular member

O-man7 tell them it's your frikkin money and you'll do as you wish with it... :p And there's nothing wrong with liking Kingston as long as it's NOT a lost cause. :p I've got a doctor friend of mine that says the Hyper-X models are pretty good. :D So you go boy.... :D

....gm

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL, thanks gm. Yah... ive bought a few batches of HyperX. ALL perform well. Infact in a dozen modules of kingston, NEVER a problem. And kingston still to date averages close to if not the best, reviews. I realize there are other good manufacturers. Gskill hasnt wronged me yet :) Infact they get good reviews too.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Long term Kingston seem to do alright, but they do suffer a higher rate of DOA than Corsair or G-Skill.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

omegaman7,
    #1. No computer is a lost cause if it does the work you require from it! I have a Dell Precision 420 Workstation with Dual Slot 1 1.0GHz P-IIIs in, it and it's still a viable computer! Runs XP-Pro SP3 just fine! It was 8 years old in August! The Dell 3000 3.0GHz P4 Prescott I bought in 04 was barely faster and the 420 only had Dual 733MHz CPUs in it when I got it. The Dell 3000 is long gone but I'll never part with the 420!
    #2. Yes, it's a step up, but for $2 more you could make that 2 steps up! LOL!!
    #3. You have that backwards! LOL!! Lower Cas Latency allows the computer to do the same work in less clock cycles! ie:Faster! It would help rather than hurt!
    #4. If it supports the Cas 6 you have now, it should support the Kingston HyperX Cas 4 as well! Loving Kingston has nothing to do with getting the best performance for your money. I'm a great believer in Brand Loyalty, but I use what's best for me and my wallet!

Best Regards,
    Russ

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Latency 2 is the quickest ram ive seen to date. What I understand of latency is basically communication time between ram and cpu. Latency 2 will speak quicker than latency 3 and 4, etc. Help yes, But since it will be easier more responsive, E.g. it works harder, because now it can. If im mistaken, I sincerely apologize. Im speaking from logic, if its false, :( And yes, im a dedicated kingston fan. I have 3 flash drives and 6 modules now. I must admit though, seeing all of the manufacturer(GSKILL) responses to bad reviews at newegg, tells me that they care about their customers :D

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

omegaman7,
    Logic is not always Logical! LOL!! Faster response doesn't mean it's working harder. In fact it means just the opposite, as you use even less power because the work you do is performed quicker, which lightens the load on the whole computer! Think of memory latency as stops along the way. The longer you stop, the longer it takes to get things done. The longer it takes to do the work means, that much more heat and wasted energy!

The first Cas 2 memory I ever bought was Corsair XMS DDR400, which I ran at 2-2-2-7. When I built the D-940, I bought Corsair Value Select Cas 2.5 DDR PC3200 I later added a pair of Corsair Cas 2.5 Value Selects and chose to run them both at Cas 2! Still running today!

Yes, G.Skill is usually pretty good at looking after their customers. My sole complaint was with DDR2/6400. The G.Skill I had would barely overclock to 880MHz, and would crash above that regardless of Latency settings! It limited my overclock! They went into Oxi, since it's stock (no OC Adjustments) and I bought the 1066MHz Dominators for mine! Both now do the job they were designed for, so everybody took a step up!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A complaint because all you got was a 10% overclock? Luck of the draw.
    Also, 400mhz memory at 955? I don't think so...

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    lOL!! You have the wrong memory. If you look you will see that I was talking about the DDR2/6400 @800MHz, not the XMS 400MHz. It was in the Dell and there was no overclocking. I'll ammend the post!

Russ

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Russ, I love your explanations. That makes perfect sense as well. THANK YOU. Its all good. We learn by our mistakes, dont we? Your right. I probably should have gone with the cas4. Had I been thinking a little clearer, I probably would have. Live and learn, right! :D

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Well, the very good news is that my computer is once again complete and whole! CPU overclocked to a 444 fsb, with the memory running 1066MHz. CPU voltage is at 1.408V where before it took 1.47v to run at that speed. I did 5 "laps" with Linpack set at the highest level, and passed without incident! The old one would never complete any of the Linpack tests! Temps are my usual low 27-29C Idle and it hit 62C during the 5 Linpack runs. It didn't break 52C encoding with a 54% compressed DVD!

Here's all the temps and voltages. Temps are great and all voltages are nominal!

[​IMG]

Fan speeds are back to normal and the only roar heard was during the 5 linpack runs. Quite a bit cooler than the D-940, and much quieter now. I'm happy, and that's what counts! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Stay tuned, all who are interested. I'll be posting benchmarks on my ram differences in roughly 8-9hrs. Time for beddy bye here, LOL. I'll show Windows 7 bench/Performance test comparisons of Gskill 2gb Cas 6, compared to Kingston 4gb HyperX Cas 5. I'll no doubt find it interesting, no matter the outcome! :D

13. spamual

spamual Guest

Honestly, you will be hard pressed to find the difference in real life betwee c5 and c4 and normally for c4 over c5 you need more voltage. Plus if your a fanboi then go for it :) I love asus, I'll always go with their mobos. I also prefer Sony in games consoles, so the extra for a ps3 is worth it to me :). And russ loves and over intel, even if the intel is better for the price :). Sam loves nzxt and ati, mort <3 asus, etc etc, us fanbois allow the world go round :D! Also without our arguements t'inernet would be one boring LOL!

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I wouldn't worry too much about passing linpack Russ, if I max out the FSB right up to the wall on my board and don't change the voltage, the system is unstable as hell, but it'll still pass Linpack!
    As for fanboyism, to say it's harmless is rubbish. It is the main cause of rants in these forums, which is tedious, but aside from that, you know as well as I do that an Asus board that costs less than about 90 dollars is going to be dreadful. When they see people tout nothing but Asus they fall into the trap of assuming it's all good, I suppose in the same way nvidia graphics fanboys fall into the trap of thinking nvidia chipsets are good. Still, let nature take its course and all that...
    With regard to being an NZXT fanboy, sort of, I prefer those cases for my usage, but I wouldn't say I eclusively recomend that brand, I've recommended the Antec Three Hundred more than a dozen times, a coolermaster centurion on several occasions and assuming they're half decent, I leave peoples' case choices alone. I only butt in when they elect those crappy Aspire/Apevia/Raidmax (yes, not including the Smilodon) plastic blue LED traps, which sadly, they almost always do, regardless of the absurd price.

As far as ATI go, as soon as I trusted nvidia enough once they left their reduced image quality phase, they encountered reliability issues, and now they seem past those, they're not on top for performance any more, and certainly aren't on top for value.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  15. spamual

spamual Guest

.....'twas a joke dude.... :(

though id love to reply to the asus comments, i dont want to caus antoher war, plus sam you might want to fully take out the sweary, as we and rich tried that, and got CENORIZEDINGZZ!1!!, by binkie :D

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's basically because it may as well not have been censored, but yes, you're probably right, I will edit it.

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I knew that was a possibility. As I said, No matter the outcome. :) Experimentation is the best way for me to learn all this stuff. HANDS ON. Besides, Windows 7 MAY give a different score. People may find that interesting.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

spamual,
    Not to burst your bubble, but the Cas 4 HyperX that was discussed is lower voltage than the Cas 5! They even have one Cas 5 set that is a whopping 2.35v!

sammorris,
    It is harmless! Only the Fanboys themselves make it otherwise! If you keep it going you wind up in fights like I've had with Morty, mainly because, while you don't see it at the time, it becomes personal and in your face! If you go back and re-read everything that was said, it's easy to see where it went from one extreme to the other. I know for a fact that both Morty and I felt pretty foolish after the dust settled!

I'm just glad it didn't cost me a good friend!

Russ

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

What are the recommended bandwidth for both? More often than not memory with lower rated bandwidth also has lower CAS. Increase the bandwidth to match and quite often you will also have match latency as well. This does however vary a little by chip and chip manufacturer.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Russ, I'm not going to discuss that further here, but read the post you've written carefully, what you've actually done is back my statement up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.