1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...im afraid I have nothing to offer on the avg issue. ive not had any issues. Best of wishes to you man :) Beddy bye here,:) Hope you get that resolved

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Omegaman, you could install 32-bit programs in 64-bit Vista as well. It's only 32-bit drivers that won't work.

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

So this ability was implemented in vista? Or did XP have the ability too?

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

XP had it too I believe. The difference is that there were next to no 64-bit drivers for XP. The support for Vista-64 is better.

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Good to hear. i'd like to finally experience 64bit. I guess with NEAR full support though, I wont be expecting TOO many bugs. I dont mind a bug every now and again. Keeps me on my toes. :D

6. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

64bit is great, I love it. I am running server 2008 64 with 6gb of ram and it is awesome. I am able to put all the ram to good use when using things like vmware with the new windows 7 beta. The only thing I dont like about 64bit is the required driver signing. It makes security and drivers better but it makes it hard to use older hardware like a wireless card. I had to take out my wireless card and use a 75ft ethernet cable instead. Other than that i dont have any problems. Most programs work great and have no issues but every once in a while I have to run something in compatibility mode to get it to work right.

7. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

Do any of you guys know about socket 603 and 604? I got two old servers from my cousin with dual socket 603 with a single 2.4ghz xeon in each. I want to upgrade both of them with a second cpu but i am a little confused. Are 603 and 604 cpu's compatible with each other? This auction on ebay says they it can be put in both but i want to make sure of that first.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Working-Pull-XE...286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:15|39:1|240:1318

8. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

Hey guys. I'm trying to choose between CPU coolers on a build, and the only two sensible choices I've come across are the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 (which i used to have), or the Sunbeamtech Core Contact Freezer. They are the cheapest for the performance they offer. Now I need to make a decision based PURELY on noise level. When I had the xigmatek, it was quiet enough for me, but for all I know the core contact is quieter. They perform almost exactly the same, so that doesn't really matter. So I wanna know, do you guys have any input on this?
    Thanks.

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

krj15489,
    Socket 603 and 604 are compatible. It should work fine!

Russ

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Is it not possible to replace either cooler's fan with a quieter one?

11. navskin

navskin Regular member

Hi guys how do you think this rig would run games just something i have bulit out of what i had lay around my room for little bro.

Asrock P4VM900 (mb)
    Intel P4 HT @ 2.60ghz
    nvidia 8600GTS (my old card PCI-E)
    500Watt No Name Psu from an acer lol
    thermal take big typhoon (cpu cooler)
    Antec 300

EDIT: i feel sorry for with a 17" CRT lol.

Here the idea i got in my head anyways is that it coming up to my little bros birthday. i was thing of these upgrades.

3.06ghz p4 HT (upgrade cpu)
    120MM fans and a 140mm
    160GB Sata HDD
    Cosair PSU
    dvd burner
    2 Gigs of ddr 400mhz

any other thought are welcome.

thanks

graham

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Unless you find that upgraded CPU for free, ditch the P4 and stick a cheap dual core in there.

13. navskin

navskin Regular member

The Procesorr would be coming from ebay and the other stuff from Aria. The big thing for me has to the money side of things as i am getting my ALG at the moment as i am at college. So i thought this would be a good idea. Could you recermend a product from aria as cheape as possible. That will run a duel core and ddr memory and PCI-E graphics card.

thanks

graham

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I can be such a fool some time russ. I hope you were not insulted.
    I feel as though I contributed to the argument in the NERO POST.
    Sometimes words come from a place where the sun doesnt shine ;) I have virtually NO RIGHT to criticise Gigabyte. I have not boughten and seen one for myself. And I woud be a fool at this point to not acknowledge the 790's abilities. I totally know what you mean when you explained your Sony troubles. Though sony has always been good for ME, Philips, memorex, have not. When I read reviews at newegg, its NOT the deciding factor per se. I will indeed STILL be giving Gigabyte a shot. Because, one bad experience is not enough to justify the reputation of a company :) Alot of my hardware is proof of that! Sincerest apologies, Good day sir :)

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...press+Socket+775+Motherboard+?productId=33611
    http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...press+Socket+775+Motherboard+?productId=33611

Omegaman: It's not the be all end all, but I am on my third faultless Gigabyte board, after ditching my third faulty Asus board. I can't speak for the high end ones, but sub £80, Asus boards are terrible.
    As for media, I see no reason to ever use anything other tha Verbatim - they are the trusted media for all sorts of things, from video DVDs to Xbox 360 backups.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Navskin, LOL. Laying around the room huh. Well...I feel behind the times. My 8600GT continues to astound me. Ehhh...i'll upgrade with the next build. Though I must admit, it runs Windows 7 64bit without trouble! Im loving windows 7. Or what some people are calling Vista 2. Perhaps a sli setup next time. That way it will stay with the times easier.

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Isnt that remarkable! How one/more people get the best experience with a manufacturer, where as another person gets nothing but garbage! Must be something wrong with the galaxy, or the space time contiuum! LOL, totally joking.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's all relative. An 8600GT is ample for some people, completely unacceptable for others like me. Really depends what games you play and how much you care about graphics...

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I don't think there is any dual Cores in Socket 478! LOL!!

Russ

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Actually I think there are dual cores for socket 478. They were used for Laptops but they are usable in desktop systems as well. The only problem is that they are too expensive. Perhaps some of you can do a little surfing to find them and then list them here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.