1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Hmmm...it appears there are. Unless once again im believing a site to be accurate when its not. Your right, they are expensive!
    Here it is to those interested LINKY

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Perhaps this will help. I have an HP dv9230us Laptop with a T5500 core to duo processor and wouldn't you know it. LOL It just happens to be socket 478!!! I have jury duty tomorrow but when I get the chance I'll take a CPU-Z screenshot if needed. So debate ended!!

Replaced a "d" with a "t"

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I thought so too, until I discovered that they were all socket 479, called socket M at the time. For a short while you could buy a socket adapter, but there were too many compatibility issues, and not enough worked to make the adapters a viable product! The laptops all had Dothans or Yonahs. Server's also used socket 479 for Xeons, but they had a faster fsb than the 533 or 667MHz of the laptops. Asus used to sell an adapter (CT-479) for them as well! AOpen even had a barebones desktop based on socket 479, which was basically a laptop MB in a low desktop case! http://www.excaliberpc.com/568621/aopen-minipc-barebone-mp945-vxr-socket.html Here's what they looked like! It came with no keyboard, mouse or monitor! LOL!! AOpen even made it worse with their later use of socket P, which while still socket 479, was not compatible with socket M 479 CPUs. The whole socket 478/479 turned out to be a fiasco because of lack of compatibility for the all the different architecture P4 CPUs! Very few socket 478 motherboards supported them all!

Russ

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Russ, so simply put, nothing but headaches LOL. What it sounds like to me. So much like BTX form factor, SHORT LIVED

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,
    You are right but they only work in socket M 478 motherboards, which adds even more confusion. It would not work in a P4P800SE motherboard. I know because I've tried it for a customer that bought one for his P4, thinking he could upgrade to a faster dual core.

Russ

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Russ, I'm pretty sure P5 indicates Socket 775.

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I'm not so certain that is completely true either. Socket M478 processors used to be the overclockers delight for socket 478 boards because they were so much better than P$'s. In fact many think that they are responsible for Intel's core2 development (core2 was based on them) because of their performance even at low clock speeds. But you're discussing a socket platform that came out before Core2 processors were even thought of, or at least mentioned to the public.

Russ, you had one of these boards didn't you?

http://www.rackmountnet.com/Industr...d-with-VGA-10100-LAN-Gigabit-LAN-1394-MB899F/

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I have no idea what you are referring to. What P5? I mentioned a P4P800SE MB, which is socket 478, so I'm confused!

Russ

9. navskin

navskin Regular member

i have decided to wait for a while longer, he said its ok but what the hell i think i am going to all out wait for my back pay, then bulid a core 2 duo and give my little bro my AMD gamimg box. That is intresting about those socket 479 processor.

so out with the p4, i am going to bulid a box that is a bang for the buck (i think the saying gose) do you think that i could bulid c2d for around £300 well that base parts (ie mb cpu mem gfx) all my computer start in ma old antec 300.

thanks for all the info

graham

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sorry I got confused, too many posts today.
    You tell me there's no dual core for socket 478, you're quite right. I intended to suggest a replacement motherboard as well, but seemingly I didn't write what I intended to.

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

There seems to be enough of that going around here.:D

P5's were actually 5X86 processors, which of course preceded the P4 processors. I still remember my 233MMX which was one of my earlier overclocks, but that was about 13 years ago.

To answer the original question without all the hyperbole, upgrading a socket 478 board is a waste of money. A socket 478 dual core processor will cost you more money than a simple quad core AMD build and motherboard, and a recent AMD core per core is faster than any pre-core2 build by leaps and bounds.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,
    Yes I had an Asus P4P800SE for my Prescot 3.0GHz. I sold it to the Lady who is buying my E6750 on the 27th. Still runs great! I wound up having to buy the P5P800SE for the D-940, as the adapter only worked for socket M CPUs. BTW, the link you provided is socket 478. I did a little research and it's a socket M 478 (something their add forgets to tell you), which will only run the mobile processors. The M processors won't run in standard socket 478 motherboards without an adapter! So much for Socket 478 compatibility! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

14. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

@Russ

The AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz just clocked at 3927.8mhz x17 @1.4v rated at 1.5v on the Ta790GX A2+ platform setup Biostar TA790GX A2+, x4 940 18x200, Freezer 64 Pro 4x1gb Ballistix Tracer DDR2 800,Antec Earthwatts 380...wassup with that brother? I gotta find out the temps running at stress and idle:)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2009
  15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Will,
    Do you have a link or something?

Russ

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Check it out. My neighbor called me before work today, And asked me if I want a bunch of her computer stuff. She named off more than I can remember. I was like, SURE. How much do you want for all of it. She told me she would just GIVE IT TO ME. I was like WOW. Shes gonna let me have it at noon tomorrow if I can setup one, for her grandson/son or whoever. At the time I was all smiles. Now im like, huh. Wonder how old the stuff is. Im gonna laugh my *ss off if its like older than old. You know... 1gb harddrive, windows 95, etc. Never seen the stuff, so im gonna be dreaming up all sorts of scenarios. She told me 2 monitors a couple towers, a printer/scanner, WOW WOW. Hope she's not offended if I put them online (ebay). Thats probably what i'd do. Ive been saving up stuff of my own. Some need repaired while others are just outdated.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

3.92Ghz with all four slots filled? I'm sorry, I don't believe that'd be stable for a minute. 2x2GB maybe, but 4x1GB? nah.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    It's probably the difference in the memory controller. I don't believe that AMD has a problem with all 4 slots full like some of the Intels do! I've done it on my DS3R, with two different brands yet, and it never affected my overclock. The chips were all D9s, so I guess they liked each other. 2 sticks of Corsair XMS2 and 2 sticks of G.Skill, both Cas 5!

Russ

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I still managed to get 3.24Ghz out of a Q6600 rock solid, which for a 1.325VID chip wasn't too bad, but it's the top end of the overclocking spectrum that extra memory slots cause a problem at.

20. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

Hey guys, I need some help with this recently built pc.
    When I boot from the DVD to install Vista, for some reason it stays at the screen with the shiny blue background for a longer-than-should-be amount of time (about 3-4 minutes before the screen to continue shows up). In addition to that, after it installs, it gets stuck at the black screen with white text that says "please wait while windows prepares your desktop". And it just stops there. Never goes on. Some other DVDs when booted from take some time too (like Kalyway 10.5.2, which for some reason also reads the 500gb hdd as 128gb). Never gotten or seen anything like this before. Would appreciate the help, as the owner is considering returning all the parts he built it with, in which case he would have to pay a restocking fee.

Specs are:
    Intel Q6600
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
    Corsair 4GB Dominator 1066MHz
    Corsair 520HX PSU
    Optiarc AD-7220S DVD Drive
    Western Digital 500GB HDD
    CM Cosmos 1000
    Nvidia GeForce 6200 256MB (yes its old)
    There's also a netgear wireless adapter in one of pci slots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.