1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

mrk44,
    I would recommend pulling the wireless adapter and trying it. Some adapters require installing the software first, and then the hardware! It may be hunting around for uninstalled software or drivers.

Best Regards,
    Russ

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The 5 minute wait at the blue screen and mouse cursor is normal, most PCs get that when installing vista. The stop at the preparing desktop phase I've not seen before though. I agree on removing the wireless card, and any other peripherals.

3. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

Thanks a lot guys. I thought the pause at the blue background screen thing is normal. It happens on my computer too. I'll try installing w/o the Wireless adapter as well. It always worked when I installed Vista on an older Sony Vaio w/ the same adapter already installed, but I don't know about this time, so I'll try it.
    Much appreciated.

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Windows 7 has a similar LONG blue screen. When I was installing it, I started wondering if it hung. We need to send a comment to MS about it. We REALLY need to know that it is indeed working. Not just DUUUHHHHHH. Atleast some kinda progress bar, or working... working...

5. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

Well, I think I know what the problem might be with it hanging at the "preparing desktop" part. Apparently the Vista installer, at the screen where you can partition the drive and choose where to install, says "this drive is about to fail. please replace as soon as possible." or something like that. I'm now pretty sure that's the problem, unless you guys think otherwise.

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Hmmm... I believe I saw a similar/same message installing XP on a buds computer. STILL running after 3 months. I suppose if a drive is on the brink though. Something interesting about his setup though, its not supposed to support a 200GB drive, but... IT IS. Although I think XP is running on a quantum fireball. The poor thing is like 9-11 yrs old. Thats quite a life for a HDD!!!
    LOL, one of my HDD's is close I suppose. My 80GB WD is about 8 or 9. Last time I checked, its S.M.A.R.T. still looked good.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

mrk, it's picked up a SMART failure on the drive, which means eventually, it will fail altogether, and should be replaced.

8. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Speaking of SMART failures, is there a preferred program for monitoring HDD health/status?

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I used SMART Monitor a while back. I don't use it any more, as I have a Samsung drive which generates spurious SMART failure codes (I've checked with their tech support and this is confirmed)

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Speedfan from almico is good. VERY awesome program :D

11. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Thanks for the advice, I'll check them out.

Edit: Speedfan was already on one of my computers (just hadn't used it yet lol) so I went ahead and checked it out first. It is a pretty neat little all-in-one program. Anyway I was messing with speedfan and my core temps caught my eye; core #0 runs ~9C higher than core #1. Even under 100% load the temp on core #0 doesn't exceed 45C so the max temp isn't of concern yet. Normally I wouldn't ask, but since it is a laptop is this a concern I should get taken care of?

cpu-P9500

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  12. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

For those media centre/HTPC fans among you, you'll know that i rave about XBMC (Xbox Media Centre) at every opportunity.
    Well i must've been living in a box for ages, it seems the awesome XBMC has been ported to Windows (and a few otherOSes) fairly recently, it's known as Atlantis (version 8.10).

I strongly recommend you try out XBMC for Windows - http://xbmc.org/download/ - it takes all of 2 minutes to install and the only thing i've had to configure is the default region ie UK, the Weather page and an SMB network source.

So far i've run the XBMC Live CD, worked very well indeed, and have installed XBMC on a couple of pc's so far; am very, very impressed. Tomorrow i'll install it on all my other pc's and will update all my xboxes to the Atlantis version from Auto Installer Deluxe 4.40 (XBMC on AID 4.40 is updated to 2008-12-07 (which is the first SVN Build after the Atlantis Final))

example pic -
    [​IMG]

a pic of it installed and running windowed -
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

mmm hmmm, I read about that a few months back. I heard its quite nice indeed. Havnt seen the need to give it a shot though. I guess I could try it on Windows 7 though. Im itching to Crash this OS, LOL. To date, so far IE8 seems to be the only real bug. Nothing too serious either. Since when it does crash, it can return you to exactly to what you were doing within a minute. A little irritating but...It runs MUCH worse on XP. XP has a beta release on IE8. They have some serious bugs to be worked out, I believe.
    @eparker89
    Hmmm, im no expert on core temps, my 5200 athlon averages 32c idle, 42-44 high load. But then, you have a sealed laptop. No doubt its gotta GOOD heat sink to deal with that. Atleast it BETTER! Never owned a laptop. But given logic...thats what a laptop would need to employ. My HP pavilion 7905 averages 50c idle, 60c under high load. So 45 is IMO excellent. My poor pavilion is almost 8yrs old. Im sure I could bring those temps down if I tried.

14. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

hey russ you like this?
    custom case modifyed in the making:)
    i got more pics of different views
    [​IMG]

and here's a case that will blow you away...lol you gotta strap it down...
    [​IMG]

oop's I forgot
    made in japan:)
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2009
  15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

That top ones a handsome looking case :) The middle ones a freak of technology, LOL. Looks like its planning on taking a trip to the moon, LOL. They must have bought newegg out of its fans. :)
    So am I to understand that Lian Li is the ferrari of computer cases?

16. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

believe me that middle gotta burn up alot of power supplies for all those fans to run...LOL besides keeping the parts cool it will keep a room cool also...

17. spamual

spamual Guest

more like the Rolls-Royce

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Arnt Rolls-Royce pieced together ALL by hand? Also a very spendy respectable vehicle.

19. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

The max temps are fine so I'm just going to let it be and see if anything happens, though I doubt I'll have any problems since I don't do anything strenuous on it. If anything does go wrong it's still under warranty :)

@bigwill68
    Awesome cases man. Maybe I should get the middle one instead of a new ceiling fan lol.

20. spamual

spamual Guest

as are lian-li cases

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.