1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spamual

spamual Guest

well then ban me for bringing up a computer building topic!

what is the problem with me bringing up news for people, who may buy something?

ofcourse i know about the depression, im not blind, but how does that mean that talking about new tech should now be forbidden!

please mods clear that up for me, and i wont post about the anti christ, known as i7 again!

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

spamual - No need for the dramatics, no-one's saying that tech talk is forbidden; maybe in London where you live all things are rosy and the streets are still paved with gold (since the fairy tales from my youth LOL) but in the real world (outside that ridiculous disgusting money pit that is London) most people are struggling, and with the important everyday things. (You'd never guess i have a problem with the fantasy world that is London LOL!).

You always get dramatic when no-one agrees with your opinions/wants of the latest tech, it's just bits of kit, who cares :)

I for one have been out of work for months, and it's certainly not from not wanting to work, there's just no money out there, and for me that means no (proper) jobs in a 70 or so mile radius, the darn country is going to the dogs, and other countries are no better.
    Our government is hell bent on bankrupting us by giving the banks yet more billions of OUR (ie taxpayers) money.

Goes to watch the News channel to see what other high street names are expected to hit the wall today.

/rant re our corrupt and inept government and banking system over :)

edited due to spelling, it's too early

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  3. spamual

spamual Guest

well you can shove your poor arse forum where the sun dont shine, and keep licking russ's arse then. *bleep* this *bleep*

edited by mod due to immature and unnecessary comments

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2009
  4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

'fraid the young lad didn't see the intentional humour in my previous post. Ah well, the thread may now continue, though unfortunately it will have to do so without spamual's indepth technical prowess.

At least we won't have to struggle with reading illegible posts anymore. Sorry spam but you always have yourself to blame. Come back when you've learnt restraint, and a love for us poor people.

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ahhh... thats too bad SERIOUSLY! He seemed rather tech savvy.
    LOL, I just read probably 100+ posts regarding Rahstyles, LMAO! I havn't laughed that hard in A LONG TIME. You seem pretty tickled to see him back creaky, LOL. Almost feel bad for the guy.
    Man... Cant wait to get my tax return. Im REALLY itching to build my next computer. I can just see that PhenomII resting in my palm now, LOL. :D

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Shaff,
    I didn't mean it that way. It's just tough sitting here hearing about all the wonders and not being able to do anything about it or get involved with it. It's depressing. It's also the first time since the advent of the PC that people can say that they need to eat, not build computers. If I was Intel, I would shelve the whole thing for now until the times get better. It is a great system and I wish it was going to be around for a long time, but right now Intel is bleeding money worse than AMD ever did. They haven't released their 4th quarter 08 figures, but the losses sre rumored to be over a Billion Dollars! I don't in anyway consider i7 the AntiChrist. We Americans haven't had a lot to be cheerful about lately, and it's getting worse every day. California is even discussing a plan to cut our Power at a set time every day to save energy and for the government to save some money on the fuel it takes to make that energy!

All these years since the late 80s, I've always been able to pretty much buy anything I wanted in computer equipment, and make no mistake, I want an i7 but the dollars just aren't there anymore. It's doubly tough for me, as I probably won't be here by the time all this mess is straightened out. That makes it that much more frustrating to me as I probably won't here to be a part of the re-birth when they finally get the economy straightened out. Hell, everybody wants one, but I don't see anyone running out to spend that kind of money. It's not like talking about a Cray, it's talking about a system that was designed for the masses, and planned to replace everything that came before it! It's just real hard for me. Want is a powerful desire, made worse by not being able to even think about getting what you desire because you lack the means!

My oldest Daughter sent me a check for $40,000, but I don't dare keep it as the Government would take it away faster than she would get the canceled check back. Hell, when I was in the Hospital the last time, here I am lying in recovery half drugged up, and I've got a bunch of suits asking me about some property I used to own. When I told them that I had sold it years ago, they "demanded" to know what I did with the money! I was coherent enough to tell them I spent it all on Booze and Broads! LOL!! When they found out my kids got it, Social Security started hounding them telling them that they were responsible for my well being and my debts! Even though it's BS, SS does that all the time. They try to scare people into paying a debt they don't owe or have any responsibility for. Jennifer works for one of the largest Law firms in Portland, and her immediate boss took care of it for her! They won't be bothering my Kids anymore or someone at SS is going to jail! LOL!!

I'm not against talking about new tech at all, but new tech doesn't do much good for anyone if you can't afford to purchase it. It makes you feel like a kid in the candy store, who has no money! Plus the technology will be shelved before long anyway. It can't support itself, so Intel will have no choice. They either make money or go out of business, and the sales of i7 have been poor at best, and getting worse. Intel simply has no choice. Like I said, they are bleeding money at a much faster pace than AMD did at it's worst.

I personally would rather hear about people's plans to stay as up to date as they can afford so we can all weather this storm. Had i7 come out even six months earlier, many people would already have one in spite of the expense. Even my Doctor and Lawyer friends say they can't afford it now. Considering the Health Care industry is one of the last to be affected by a Recession or Depression, it's hurting them bad right now. The good news for them is that it will also be one of the first industries to recover when times do get better.

like I said, if we could discuss what's relevant to us as a Forum right now, we all might learn something, and help all of us get through the coming rough times. Discussing the wonders of what I consider at this point, "Unobtanium" doesn't do anything to help out in the here and now!

Best Regards,
    Russ

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Wow, the things you iss when you're sleep!

Russ: Granted, i7 hasn't been very popular as it's still prohibitively expensive, but in all honesty, there are still some situations where it's the best chip for the job. That job may not cross over my territory (gaming), but it does a lot of people here at aD (video encodes) and I have actually agreed to a few i7 builds over the last couple of months.
    You moan about $295 for the i7 920, in the UK, the Phenom II 940 was actually £5 more than the i7 920. That just leaves the architectural differences. If you could get away with 3GB of RAM, there was really only about £80 between what you needed to pay for a Phenom II build and an i7 build, and I don't expect anyone to argue which is likely to perform best in its area.
    I can't really speak for the depression in the US, as I don't have a job myself, my dad's probably in one of the better places to be in economic downturn (maintenance of an already sold product), and so on and so forth. I recognise that high end systems like this will become far less popular, but to disallow any conversation about them on a forum which is basically for salivation over the latest tech seems a bit nuts to me.
    A cheap Core 2 Quad build in my mind is definitely the way, but really, is it out of bounds to discuss a technology like this?

As for the latter post, Intel losing a billion dollars would be pretty disastrous, but didn't AMD lose a similar amount of money of late? I think blaming i7 for their losses is absurd, though it can't have helped.
    I sympathise with those truly getting screwed by the current climate, I really do, but I don't think it should dominate the direction of this thread.

8. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

isn't the title of this thread called "The Official PC building thread"? does that not include all aspects of building high end to economically sound??? I'm not picking sides or saying one is right or wrong, cause i agree with both sides on this banter. Russ is 100% right. the I7 builds are way over the top right now needing everything for a new build with that platform(well CPU,mobo and mem). its way out of my price range, i can and will most likely get the high end Q9650 for the same price as the low end I7 920 is there much difference in the 2 sure there is but not much to justify me haven to buy another mobo and mem to make the 920 work. all i need is the CPU with my current setup.

BUT

on the other hand it is a building thread and building a high end I7 rig would be nice and there is peeps out there that can afford it... i wont and don't knock someone who has the assets to do such..do and show us the results of a I7 build i cant wait to see someone here to do it so we all can see first hand what all the hubbub is about..
    if all is posted about the I7 is if and & buts then so be it. ill just skip over them post myself not worry about who or what is posting until something proven is posted, not just test in a controlled situation. everyday use is what we all are after....

i don't mean to offend anyone here just stating how i feel about it.. i do agree with both sides here each have there value points

now onto other building issues.
    as you all know i have the RC690 case. i will be getting the HAF932
    most likely next weekend i have the room in the 690 now to just take out the mobo with the cooler still attached. would it be good to do this and install in the much bigger HAF,or should i redo everything. take off the cooler and reapply the AS5 paste? with it being a bigger case and much bigger fans should i take of the cooler-master hyper TX2 cooler and put on the AC freezer 7 pro?

EDIT:
    well this isnt the HAF932 but it is another cool, coolermaster case. hot off the press.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119194

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  9. greensman

greensman Regular member

Rob I think the HAF still has my vote. I'll have to look at the Sniper a little closer to see if the GM is gonna switch his vote. lol. ;)

On the other matter I'll keep me mouth shut in open forum, I've pissed off enough people by offering my opinion. lol. :p

...gm

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Rob: Exactly, I think you've made a very relevant and well thought post there.
    I've transferred many a motherboard with CPU and cooler attached, and it's usually fine as long as you use normal size heatsinks. I wouldn't do it with tower coolers or Zalmans for obvious reasons.

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

Thanks Sammy for answering his question. lol. I got so caught up looking at cases I forgot the original question. :p

....gm

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The idea of an entire side panel vented is an interesting one and it will help combat the inherent flaws of the large fan cases, but ultimately for good graphics cooling there should really still be a side fan of some sort there.

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I fully understand what you are saying, but no one here has actually built one! And you can't mention a Phenom II without hearing all about how i7 is so much better. Then we get inundated with reports from outside, questionable sources like that farce with the GigaByte x58 motherboard. It's like the damn thing isn't even out yet, but it's been out for months! Frankly if he had just kept his big mouth shut instead of just having to say something negative about the GB board not overclocking so well, I probably wouldn't have said a word. It was an unfair remark based on a test and review that was incomplete and totally inconclusive. What do you think people were telling me when I was discussing the Phenom II. They were telling me to build one and report on it. ie:they were tired of hearing about it! I feel the same way about i7, especially since the platform won't be around long enough to matter. I have no idea what all the MB manufacturers are going to do with all those socket 1333 x58 motherboards, but there won't be any CPUs to put in them as i7 will definitely be shelved because of Buyer Drought! If the economic times hadn't gotten so bad, it still would have been a tough sell because of the high price tag. No word on Intel's 4th quarter losses yet, but AMD just posted losses of 1.4 Billion dollars for the 4th quarter, and Intel's losses will be a lot higher! It's not a question of "if" Intel will cancel i7, but when! It's not i7's fault this has happened, as i7 is pretty much the victim of circumstance here. The worse the world economy gets, the more urgent it becomes for Intel to drop it and concentrate on what they can build and sell to to show a profit!

Anyway, I have things to do as I need to give the case a through cleaning because they'll be here to pick it up about 1PM. I'm sorry that Shaff got banned. In spite of what others may think, I like the guy, but you don't usually survive AD by swearing at a Mod. He has some anger management issues that need to be addressed. I have great sympathy for him because when I was his age I was a lot like him, and it damn near killed me. Having a stroke at the age of 24 teaches you a lot of sobering things. My Doctor made it very plain to me, either I change my ways or die! That was 40 years ago, and I'm still here!

Best Regards,
    Russ

14. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

So does breaking your neck in a car accident due to your own recklessness. I was a few mm away from being quadriplegic, so now every day is beautiful and nothing seems to faze me for very long because I can always think back to the months I spent wearing a halo. The main thing is learning from mistakes and bad judgments.

On the whole I7 vs. AMD front, its nice knowing new technology exists and its overall comparison to old tech. That being said, I'm usually a lurker, and have read this and a few other posts where people piss all over other perfectly good rigs just because it cant beat an I7. Noone here has put one together let alone used one extensively so really noone should be talking in absolutes like they know better about it, when really its all 3rd hand knowledge from some website or a friend of a friend.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nobody regular in this thread has built one. People who posted at aD have done, but since you stay in these threads, you'd never notice.
    Since when have I slammed the Phenom II favouring the i7? I'd take a Core 2 over a Phenom II any day of the week, but I recognise i7 still leaves something to be desired in the value for money department.

16. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

As I said I lurk. Just because I dont post in many, doesnt mean I dont read all.
    I never mentioned a person by name, and actually it was directed towards others I know read this. But if you feel guilty enough to believe it was directed towards you...

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Deadrum, I was actually referring to Russ' post, specifically:

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sorry Sam,
    I didn't intend that to mean you. It's just that we all know that the i7s will blow the doors off of the Phenom II, for now. It certainly should as it costs a good deal more money. I also agree and disagree with Shaffs's statement about the cas 9 memory. For games, fine. No argument there, but for real work the Cas latency does matter. I know that he also said that he didn't see any difference in performance moving from 800MHz memory to 1066MHz memory. I noticed a big difference on mine, with a boost of about 1000MB/s, and it helped to get just a couple of ticks below 4000 (3997) with 3DMark 06. Overclocking the 7600GT also increased the 3DMark score by about 300!

Best Regards,
    Russ

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I ran this test myself, 900mhz vs 1066mhz in 3dmark, and there was absolutely no difference whatsoever.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I don't know what to say then because I posted the results a long time ago, and between the 1066 memory and the OC of the 7600GT it punched out 3997 in 3DMark 06. I made all the memory sub timings a little tighter and left the Cas alone. I also switched the memory settings to Extreme. I do distinctly remember you commenting that you were surprised that the 7600GT could score that well! It didn't seem to hurt anything and ran that way until the CPU went bonkers. I wish I had run it when I had the new one at 3.8GHz! LOL!!

Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.