1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's all in the graphics overclock. Minor graphics overclock have a remarkable effect in 3dmark, especially in a graphics-restricted system like yours. For systems like mine, the CPU is actually often the limiting factor, so it has less effect (but still an effect, nonetheless)
    It's also worth commenting that the CPU score has a high effect on 3dmark scores too. I got 6700 with my X1900XT, which is a much faster card than the 7600GT, but that was a 3.15Ghz E4300, your higher clocked, bigger cache E6750 would likely have scored in the mid 7000s with that card, so perhaps 4000 isn't so unlikely.

2. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Glad its understood I wasnt pointing you out specifically, just more towards the general tone around here lately.

3. ica212007

ica212007 Member

i want to know if anyone can tell me why my frames per second is so slow on my pcsx2 and what i can do to fix it.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What processor do you have?

5. ica212007

ica212007 Member

# CPU Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD
    # CPU Family: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3400+ Model 15, Stepping 2
    # CPU Speed: 1989 MHz

does that help

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That may not be sufficient for PS2 emulation really, I suppose it would depend on the game.

7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Heh, joking right? :p

9. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

@ica212007: You may be able to get more help here. I do believe though that they recommend at least a 2.5Ghz dual core for PS2 emulation.

@cincyrob: lol, it has it's own merits I guess...

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

sweeeeet aint it?

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Haha, I personally think it's hideous, but each to their own as they say...

12. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

LOL nice sig rob. As far as the case goes it's great if that's what you like. I like cases with a reserved look (aka plain & boring) but all I care about is performance. My NZXT zero is going to a total mess once I get my LC loops set up lol.

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rob,
    It looks a bit like my second wife's mother! Not the case, your Sig! ROFLMSOAO!!

TIP OF THE MONTH! LOL!!

Came across something today that should be interesting to all! If you order from Newegg, and something is on sale but you won't have the money for a week and it will be off sale by then just click "Mail Payment" at the checkout. That locks in your order for 10 days, and can be easily switched to your Bank card when "next week" comes! I already got my order confirmation! Beats the hell out of missing out on a good deal! If you do business with them a lot like I do, they already have your information, so there's nothing to fill out! Sweet!

I ordered 2 Lite-On DH20A4P drives with the Combo media deal this morning, and did Mail Payment for the rest of my build because the Bank put a 7 day hold on the check I got from selling my old computer.

The real surprise was that the total shipping was $0.00 for the drives and the media! $15 for the Ridata +R 16xs, and $16 for the +R 16x Verbs with no shipping! Outstanding!

Russ

14. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

A couple weeks ago I purchased a Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD and it had a horrible vibration problem so I RMA'd it. The replacement arrived today and it still has a vibration problem, just not as bad. My WD Caviar has a bit of a vibration problem but it's not as bad and my other Seagate Barracuda doesn't have any vibration that I can tell (it's in a external enclosure). Do you guys think there's something wrong with my new drive still or do I need to just live with it?

Thanks,

Parker

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Seagates are just generally noisy in all regards, vibration included. It's just something you'll have to live with. My 7200.10 is extremely irritating.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  16. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

I have two 7200.11, and I don't hear a thing, nor is there any vibration.

17. greensman

greensman Regular member

I have 2 of the 320GB 7200.10 models and they are whisper quiet. I don't know if the 500+GB drives create more noise or Sammy is just hearing stuff again. lol. :p

Anyway, it seems odd that they make that much noise. You are closing the case and have them on "rubber" mounts right? That's how mine are mounted and I think that may make some difference. hth....

....gm

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My server has six drives in it right now:

HD400LJ - seek: quiet, airborne: very quiet, vibration: loud
    HD753LJ - seek: very quiet, airborne: moderate, vibration: quite loud
    7200.10 750GB - seek: moderate-loud, airborne: quiet, vibration: loud
    WD5000AAKS OEM - seek: very quiet, airborne: quiet, vibration: quiet
    WD5000AAKS Retail - seek: moderate, airborne: quiet, vibration: moderate-loud
    WD10EACS GreenPower - seek: very quiet, airborne: very quiet, vibration: negligible.

19. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Main pc has 15 drives at present -
    6x WD5000AAKS - No vibration that i'm aware of, idle & seek - very quiet indeed
    5x WD5000AAKB - No vibration that i'm aware of, idle & seek - very quiet indeed
    WD 320GB (i forget the exact model) same as above
    WD 120GB (i forget the exact model) same as above

WD5000AAKB in main xbox - No vibration that i'm aware of, idle & seek - very quiet indeed
    2x WD 250GB (i forget the exact models) in other xboxes - No vibration that i'm aware of, idle & seek - very quiet indeed
    WD200 (yup, 20GB) in another xbox - a little vibration, idle & seek - audible, as drive is a few years old and has been used in more pc's than it's had hot dinners
    various other WD200's - a little vibration, idle & seek - audible (1 or 2 even whine), as drives are a few years old and have been used in more pc's than they've had hot dinners

Various Dell Optiplex 745's with 160GB WD SATA drives, very quiet, can just about hear disk accesses, this is down to the case designs

Ancient 1GB (!!) Maxtor - gets used in old Linux builds from time to time. Makes that nice old fashioned hard disk sound :)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  20. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Okay, thanks. I always thought it was the WD that were a bit noisy but it doesn't really matter as long as there are no reliability issues. Sadly the rest of my system is so loud the noise from the new Seagate is barely noticeable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.