1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    See my post to sammorris above!

Russ

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed, access time is increased with RAID.

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I got this info off of wikipedi.org It sounds very logical to me. Is its information flawed? This pertains to A Raid 1 array
    as well as
    Here is the link if your of a notion.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raid_1#RAID_1
    Should I not trust the wiki??? Your explanations seem logical, but so do the wiki's. Im so confused :(

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    The Wiki is correct. However it dosn't take any variables into account, such as Sam mentioned with disk fragmenting. In an ideal world with every variable the same with each drive things would work as they describe it. In the real world things are often considerably different. In practice, Raid 1 is often only slightly faster than a single drive. To get near the performance they claim, you need two separate independent controllers.
    Here's the best explanation of Raid I've found to date. It explains it all! All the different configurations and their pluses and minuses! Interesting reading BTW! Raid 1+0 is the best configuration for most people by virtue of improving the data transfer, with each striped drive being mirrored by it's own separate drive. I've never used it, but if a drive crashes, it usually can be recovered and the Array rebuilt. The article will explain it better than I can!
    http://www.acnc.com/04_01_00.html

Best Regards,
    Russ

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

mmm sigh. It would appear, TO ME that the two sites are contradicting themselves. Im probably just too tired to comprehend it all, LOL.
    Looks like neweggs out of the cpu fan you recommended. I sure hope this weeks better than last week, LOL. Thanks for a new linky to read, :) Raid 10 sounds very expensive and non practical to me. Now, if I had a bit of money... then it could be a fun experiment! Because unless im mistaken, it has some of, if not the most throughput of all raid arrays. Ideal for servers supposedly.

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    I would think that JOBD would be the fastest, but the most risky, as if you lose one drive, chances are you will lose the data on all of them!

Russ

7. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Yup, i've had literally 100's of (10,000rpm) discs in RAID 10 arrays (in JBOD arrays actually, the RAID was software based); plus in *nix (where you don't get fragmentation). Moving 100's of Gig of data across different LUN's without affecting users or the business is fun :)
    Have had the joy (not) of the same setups foisted on us via RAID 5 - not good for high thoroughput read and write intensive systems.
    Hardware RAID in *nix is fun also, but my preference was software based solutions.

I never did get around to trying it out on PC's though, i've just never have any data worth justifying 2 disks permanently spinning, hence why i chose to use external enclosures for all my backup drives. The theory is that there's light disk use in the initial populating of the drives, then miniscule use in manually making changes as and when needed, the rest of the time the disks get to rest, and hopefully will last a damn site longer than disks used in RAID. I'm guessing most of you using RAID in the PC world, use it to protect the boot drive. That's the one drive i don't protect, well apart for program updates (EXE files etc) and a few important config files.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yah... I cant see myself setting up a jbod config. manufacturers dont make reliable enough drives for such a configuration(risky as raid 0). Its just to much data loss if it fails. Raid 1 sounded good for a time, but now...im gonna have to do more reading into ALL the different raid setups. Must admit, ive never had a WD drive fail me out of 7. 7/7 drives are pretty good odds! But then, not all drives are created equal. Ive been noticing that they make a series specifically for raid setups. Gonna have to look into that as well.
    On another note, experiencing the MOTHER of all bugs on windows 7 right now. Posted on Windows 7 beta forum (in my Sig) Rather curious bug if anyones into the challenge ;)

9. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

@Russ

not to get ya'll off the subject at matter between you,creaky & omegaman7,Sam about Raid controllers sorry but..I was sitting on the corner of the bed and grab the micro center sales paper and saw something in the power supply section and you came to mind on this issue...I have a question you mentioned along time ago that you did'nt care to much for Coolmax Power Supplies reason bein..I forgot...I see latly that there trying to keep up in the Modular department..I maybe late on this topic but if...I remember right we always look for power supplies with atlease 80% or above efficiency
    and the one...I'm looking at has 80%
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817159089
    is your reasoning bein the fan noise it puts out if so that's easy switch out for me change the fan keep the old in case you gotta take it back...I did that with the Cooler Master eXtreme RP-500
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171018
    that CincyRob gave me that joker was out of there switched for Blue Led 120mm fan...as you might remember me doin...I justed wanted to know what you think of the Coolmax now and there new breeds of top side ventilation with Modular:)

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A 700W Modular PSU for $65? Think about that for a bit.
    Unless I hear otherwise, Coolmax have not changed.

11. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I know this is a building thread but i like to drop in bits of OS info as a build is nothing without it's OS, and in this case it's "No More Windows 7 Beta's" -

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Will,
    Let me put it this way. If you are buying Oats, do you want fresh, clean Oats, or do you want tham after they went through the Horse? LOL!! While the Cooler Master is not a great PSU, it still much better than the CoolMax which is a genuine POS! Pick one up some time if they sell them at MicroCenter and compare it's weight to any decent 500w PSU. The heat sinks are a joke! Little more than re-enforced Kleenex! I've seen video cards that weighed more than the whole PSU! Is it 80%? Sure it is, but for how long, and at what wattage? And if CoolMax happens to be reading this thread, their PSUs SUCK! I bought 3 and all failed within a month! What does it tell you when Newegg doesn't even want the defective ones back? LOL!! It means that Newegg has struck a deal where they just report the bad ones to CoolMax, because the shipping expense would be more than the PSU is worth! It's a definite worst buy! Notice too, that it isn't SLI Certified! Nor do they put any efficiency rating on it at all!

As far as 80% efficiency goes, unless your power demands are very high, it really doesn't matter, because you won't have a demand high enough to worry about it. It would be different if you had a real high power, top end video card or maybe two in SLI or CrossFire. My Thermaltake 500w TR-2 in the E6750 was only 70%, but if you don't have that high a demand to begin with, so what! It's little more than an advertising gimmick than anything meaningful for the average computer user! I did enjoy the pretty purple light show on the wall behind the computer though when Russell's arced over! ROFLMAO!! Like I said, a total POS!

Russ

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

amen to that russ, LOL. My first coolmax PSU was DOA. VERY IRRITATING! Ive bought a thermaltake and an OCZ since. Both are rock solid so far. :D Their customer service did try to help me however. But it wasnt worth shipping back to them. It was only a 30$ supply. Needless to say, I WONT be buying through them again.

Much like buying cheap dvds. I would rather spend a few dollars more for discs that will just work everytime, VERBATIM/TY! From now on I will buy from the other guy. :D

I would appreciate any thoughts regarding the bug on windows 7 beta forum. :)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Oh Yah!!! guess whats coming to my doorstep on friday, guys and gals.
    [​IMG]
    This babies gonna house the PhenomII, Overclock my 5200 for a time, and bring me up to par with some more advanced stuff :D Not to mention, ONE OF MY FAVORITE PARTS. Sata X6!!! Much better than 2!

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So that's how much shipping from newegg is... :p
    More than I expected. I suppose there's a greater distance to cover though. If you add our VAT rate that shipping works out at £16.64 including the charge for fast dispatch. Next day dispatch & delivery for any order that doesn't include a case here typically costs no more than £11 or £12.
    Ebuyer have the best service in that regard, £9.99 for an order placed up until 10pm to arrive before Noon the following day.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  16. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

shipping isn't usualy that much. I always use the default 3 to 5 day shipping and for most things that is less than $10.

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I dont usually have them ship it 2nd day! Typically 3 day, is either free or not much(8 - 11bucks depending). I REALLY want it to be here by friday!!! I didnt mind paying a little extra.
    WOO HOO! LOL :D You guys have no idea how bad ive been itching for both quad core support, and a good board!

18. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

It really depends on where you are located in relation to the nearest Newegg facilities. I'm happily sandwiched between two of them, farthest one a little over an hours drive, so almost everything arrives next day with standard shipping and processing. If I remember correctly the shipping for my case was ~$7 and it arrived the next day ;)

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Can you say jealous MUCH!!!

20. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Yeah it is a blissful sweet spot :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.